Sign Benson, Trade Greene for a RT

Integrity28

Wayne Hunter - T - Jets

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum says the team is standing by Wayne Hunter as their starting right tackle following the voided Jeff Otah trade.

They need to keep searching. "He's our starting right tackle until that changes," said Tannenbaum. The Jets wouldn't have tried to acquire Otah if they had faith in Hunter. Perhaps eyeballing their Week 1 matchup with new Bills LE Mario Williams, the Jets will continue to look for upgrades at strong-side tackle.

Cedric Benson
- RB -
Bengals

ESPN's Adam Schefter mentioned on
SportsCenter
Tuesday that the Jets have "spoken" to free agent Cedric Benson.

Schefter also reiterated that the Raiders and Packers have sniffed around Benson, but "nothing has materialized just yet." This was the first we'd heard of the Jets' interest, although their running back coach, Anthony Lynn, talked up current starter Shonn Greene Tuesday as if he were one of the best backs in the league. The Jets will probably continue to overrate and misevaluate Greene, but they still ought to consider Benson. He'd be an upgrade on what they have now.

For the sake of discussion, you can kinda speculate on this if you connect the dots... Lynn talking up Greene, Hunter is the RT until he's not, Jets suddenly kicking the tires on Benson? Hmmmm... would make me happy. Very.

Oh, I just don't want Greene. I think he's mediocre at best... 2 good games vs. Bengals and people love him. Most teams have 2 guys better than him these days.

Based on some early camp reports, the Jets could possibly be one of those teams, of course that's not necessarily saying much.

Greene is considerably better. Worse stats and worse back. You see Greene leave yards on the field and decide this dog is better. Watch a Bengals game.

That bad? Ugh... oh well, I thought he was alright, I guess not... whatever... I'd still take a better RT + Benson over Greene + Hunter. We already know the latter sucks.

Like has been said in other threads, I see no reason not to run Greene into the ground this season. If he is lackluster then he's gone. Easy peasy lemon squeesy. We sign Benson and that would be all well and good too. We run the hell out of Greene and keep Benson fresh for the later part of the year or vice versa. I see no reason to trade Greene when his value is probably not more than a 5th. If we were to get him to a team that has a an extra starting caliber RT and is looking for a RB that could be something worth talking about, but I don't see it happening.

anyone know of a viable trading partner for that hypothetical?

There is something to the fact that these were both mentioned today though. I wonder what that is?

1) player for player deals basically never happen

2) no one will trade for greene. He's a rental with no upside.

3) even if you offered picks no one wants to trade their starting RT or a possible starting OT 4 weeks before the season starts. Exhibit A the Jeff Otah trade. it's trash time.

Oh, I just don't want Greene. I think he's mediocre at best... 2 good games vs. Bengals and people love him. Most teams have 2 guys better than him these days.

So who would trade a decent RT for that?

This is actually an amazing idea, greene with a conditional draft pick could return someone decent.

Might as well reunite cadillac with sporano on top of it ...

decent/average running back with a better o line > decent/average running back with a lesser o line

• 4 weeks later...

Whose terrible idea was this? Oh yeah...

Scouts: RB Benson a boon to Packers offense

3139.jpg

Several personnel men scouting the Packers-Bengals game Thursday night told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel "without reservation" that the addition of Cedric Benson makes Green Bay's prolific offense "even better."

"He made me a little nervous," said a scout for an opposing team. "You think they're struggling there (at running back), and then this." Added another personnel man, "He looked good -- really good. Quick. He looks like he fits the offense well. Obviously, he'll start. He's much more consistent (than James Starks)." One of the scouts believes Benson has a legitimate chance to be the Packers' best back since Ahman Green's last productive season in 2006. "He's always been talented," another scout said. "Experienced. He's been through it. And, really, he's almost always been healthy." Benson saw a major bump in the Rotworld Draft Guide rankings on Friday.

Whose terrible idea was this? Oh yeah...

Benson will more than likely out play Greene this season, but it will be said its because of the system hes in. IMO we missed the boat on this one. Not the worst thing in the world but it would have been an upgrade here.

Benson will more than likely out play Greene this season, but it will be said its because of the system hes in. IMO we missed the boat on this one. Not the worst thing in the world but it would have been an upgrade here.

Agreed.

I just don't understand how a team can say it wants to be ground and pound, and it doesn't go after a sledgehammer of a RB who has proven he can produce between the tackles in his time with Cincy. Just don't get it.

Especially when all the RBs we draft are slow, plodding fatties that don't seem to matriculate well. Oh well, I'm not a fan of giving RBs second contracts, but this did seem like an opportunity... mostly I just wanted to point out that the Packers and I get it, while most Jet fans don't. Hahahhahaa

Agreed.

I just don't understand how a team can say it wants to be ground and pound, and it doesn't go after a sledgehammer of a RB who has proven he can produce between the tackles in his time with Cincy. Just don't get it.

Especially when all the RBs we draft are slow, plodding fatties that don't seem to matriculate well. Oh well, I'm not a fan of giving RBs second contracts, but this did seem like an opportunity... mostly I just wanted to point out that the Packers and I get it, while most Jet fans don't. Hahahhahaa

Slow plodding fatties.... A better description there never was. lol

And the price he was had for was absurd. That is what makes it all that much more aggravating.

Well it's tough to compare, but here's what we have:

Benson's career per carry: 3.8

Greene's career per carry: 4.3

Greene is also younger.

Benson had 20 more attempts last year, in which he had 4 more fumbles than Greene.

Benson's numbers are skewed by his bad years behind Thomas Jones in Chicago where he just didn't "get it". It would be more curious to compare his time in Cincy to Greene if you want to rely solely on statistics for comparison.

Well it's tough to compare, but here's what we have:

Benson's career per carry: 3.8

Greene's career per carry: 4.3

Greene is also younger.

I think it better to consider that we would have kept Greene as well. Compare Benson to Mcnight, Powell and Ganaway because he's not costing the Packers much more than they cost. One of those guys would have lost the roster spot. Not Greene most likely. Add Connor to that list.

I think it better to consider that we would have kept Greene as well. Compare Benson to Mcnight, Powell and Ganaway because he's not costing the Packers much more than they cost. One of those guys would have lost the roster spot. Not Greene most likely. Add Connor to that list.

Of course, think we would all take Benson over McKnight. Though Benson and Greene seem to have similar skill sets, that would be an upgrade.

Benson's numbers are skewed by his bad years behind Thomas Jones in Chicago where he just didn't "get it". It would be more curious to compare his time in Cincy to Greene if you want to rely solely on statistics for comparison.

Greene 2011: 253 attempts, 4.2 Y/A, 1 fumble

Benson 2011: 273 attempts, 3.9 Y/A, 5 fumbles

Greene 2010: 185 attempts, 4.1 Y/A, 3 fumbles

Benson 2010: 321 attempts, 3.5 Y/A, 7 fumbles

I think we probably had the better o-line both years. The two seem about even, give or take. Greene has been more effective, but he hasn't been used as much.

This would never have worked... who would trade for Greene when they could have just signed Benson...

ECURB is right!

If Benson, who was lingering for a long time on the waiver wire, is so much better than Greene, who's giving the Jets a starting RT for him? Or a conditional seventh round pick?

I wanted the Jets to Draft Turbin and Sign Benson then dump McKnight and get a RT

What did the Jets do ? Traded the 4th round pick for Tim Tebow not bother to even look at Eric Winston at RT and let Cedric Benson move along. May have also been nice to Sign Braylon Edwards rather than the constantly injured Chaz Schilens but when have we known the Jets current front office to do anything worth a sh*t sice Mangini left ?

Turbin ran for 93 yards on 14 carries in his last pre season game.

So Cedric Benson makes Green Bays offense that much more dangerous. But MJD is a bad move for the Jets who scare no one with a backfield full of slow RBs and pussies. But hey we're grond and pound baby .

The problem with MJD besides the compensation to Jacksonville...he wants to get paid...I would have liked to see us pursue Benson more but we were not getting a decent RT for Greene...non sequitur...

I wanted the Jets to Draft Turbin and Sign Benson then dump McKnight and get a RT

What did the Jets do ? Traded the 4th round pick for Tim Tebow not bother to even look at Eric Winston at RT and let Cedric Benson move along. May have also been nice to Sign Braylon Edwards rather than the constantly injured Chaz Schilens but when have we known the Jets current front office to do anything worth a sh*t sice Mangini left ?

Turbin ran for 93 yards on 14 carries in his last pre season game.

The fourth we traded (108) not high enough to get ahead of Seattle who took Turbin at 106...I liked Turbin as well...

The bigger foul in my eyes was trading the fourth rounder instead of looking at the OT talent available...the depth of this past draft...Bobbie Massie or Zebri Sanders were both good value at that point.

Archived