When are the 80's throwbacks gonna be worn??

AlToon88

I'm tired of seeing these NY Titans unforms. When are the Jets gonna break out into their 80's kelly green & white? Those are the uniforms that I think of when I watched the Jets as a kid! No black, just simple green and white with their thin styled numbers. Brings back memories of McNeil, Walker, Shuler & Mehl! Time to bring those back!!!!

If I never see the Jets on the field in those 80s unis again it will be too soon.

NO ALTERNATES!!!!

I THINK** by NFL law all teams are required to wear alternates a certain amount of times each season. Remember hearing that at some point.

If I never see the Jets on the field in those 80s unis again it will be too soon.

NO ALTERNATES!!!!

If I had my way, I would see those 80's uniforms coming out of the tunnel at the Super Bowl. I suffered too much. Those unis are still what I think of as Jet uniforms and well, they are owed some greatness after all the crap they endured. I'm nostalgic, shoot me.

If I had my way, I would see those 80's uniforms coming out of the tunnel at the Super Bowl. I suffered too much. Those unis are still what I think of as Jet uniforms and well, they are owed some greatness after all the crap they endured. I'm nostalgic, shoot me.

Pretty sure they're planning on breaking them out for Rich Kotite Appreciation Day.

This. I will never be nostalgic for the days of Walton and Kotite.

Considering that ever since Parcells brought them back, our unis remind me of Pennington, Favre, and Sanchez, I really don't think reminding me about Kotite or Walton is going to be all that detrimental.

In the 15 years since Parcells brought these back, the Jets have been to the playoffs 7 times with only two one and outs, won the division twice and made three AFC Championship Game appearances.

In the 20+ years the Jets wore the block letter green helmets they made the playoffs 5 times with three one and outs, won no division titles and made the AFC Championship Game only once.

You're too young to truly remember the nightmare that was the Kotite/Coslet/Walton era.

One of the primary catalysts for switching from the Namath unis to the all green atrocities was to make it easier for Richard Todd to find his receivers. At the time, every team in the AFCe (then including the Colts) had white helmets, and Todd seemed willing to throw to anyone wearing one. After the change, he still displayed that willingness.

The helmets and jerseys were both boring and ugly. One of the best things Parcells did here was switch back to the old style uniforms. The helmets and jerseys now are pure class. Love the numbers on the sleeves, especially. They couldn't get rid of those 80's unis fast enough for me.

As for the Titans unis, I know I'm in the minority but I think they fall into the so ugly they're cool category. They're far more interesting than just about every other team's throwbacks, except maybe the Steelers and Packers.

In the 15 years since Parcells brought these back, the Jets have been to the playoffs 7 times with only two one and outs, won the division twice and made three AFC Championship Game appearances.

In the 20+ years the Jets wore the block letter green helmets they made the playoffs 5 times with three one and outs, won no division titles and made the AFC Championship Game only once.

You're too young to truly remember the nightmare that was the Kotite/Coslet/Walton era.

Thanks! That was a fun romp through the streets of profootballreference.com. Also much appreciated on you dictating my own memory. Clearly your time in the anchor business has served your amateur psych career well.

You're welcome. I enjoy helping hipsters like yourself.

All this time, I thought I was a normal guy in his 30's. Turns out I'm a hipster who can't remember anything from when he when he was 16. I feel like Will Hunting today. Except instead of a clever, witty, bearded shrink, I've been enlightened by an overweight Rush fan.

One of the primary catalysts for switching from the Namath unis to the all green atrocities was to make it easier for Richard Todd to find his receivers. At the time, every team in the AFCe (then including the Colts) had white helmets, and Todd seemed willing to throw to anyone wearing one. After the change, he still displayed that willingness.

Can't tell if you're serious about this. Got any proof?

Main reasons for not bringing back the 80's unis for a throwback game or two: (1) The Jets mostly sucked during that time (I agree); (2) The 80's Unis are ugly (I disagree) (3) No money to be made selling them (I wonder if they will sell better/worse than the Titans Unis?)

Two big reasons to bring back the 80's Unis for a throwback game or two: (1) Pay some respect to the handfui of players from that era that didn't completely suck (Klecko, Gastineau, O'Brien, etc.) (2) Pay some respect to the legions of loyal Jets fans that had to suffer through those years. Can I get an AMEN?

As a teen during the late 70s-early-80s, that futuristic Jets logo was very cool.

All this time, I thought I was a normal guy in his 30's. Turns out I'm a hipster who can't remember anything from when he when he was 16. I feel like Will Hunting today. Except instead of a clever, witty, bearded shrink, I've been enlightened by an overweight Rush fan.

:rl: Not even close!

Can't tell if you're serious about this. Got any proof?

I'm dead serious. This happened in 1978, so no, I don't have a direct link for you. If you're interested enough, you'll find it.

Edit: the Bills later changed their helmets to red for the same reason.

Archived