Jets 1st Depth Chart Of 2012 Is Unveiled

JetNation

Post image for Jets 1st Depth Chart Of 2012 Is Unveiled

Today the Jets have unveiled their first depth chart of the season a few days before their game with the Cincinnati Bengals. Nothing surprising other than the 3rd safety position being added to the chart. Nick Folk is winning the kicking competition so far.

Offense

POS First Second Third Other
WR Stephen Hill Chaz Schilens Dexter Jackson Royce Pollard
Jordan White
Wes Kemp
LT D’Brickashaw Ferguson Dennis Landolt Austin Howard
LG Matt Slauson Vladimir Ducasse Fred Koloto
C Nick Mangold Caleb Schlauderaff Matt Kroul
RG Brandon Moore Robert Griffin Terrence Campbell
RT Wayne Hunter Stephon Heyer Paul Cornick
TE Dustin Keller Jeff Cumberland Josh Baker Dedrick Epps
Hayden Smith
Tarren Lloyd
WR Santonio Holmes Jeremy Kerley Patrick Turner Eron Riley
Raymond Webber
QB Mark Sanchez Tim Tebow Greg McElroy Matt Simms
FB John Conner
RB Shonn Greene Joe McKnight Bilal Powell John Griffin
Terrance Ganaway

Defense

DE Muhammad Wilkerson Quinton Coples Jay Richardson
NT Sione Pouha Kenrick Ellis Martin Tevaseu Damon Harrison
DT Mike DeVito Marcus Dixon Matt Hardison
OLB Bryan Thomas Garrett McIntyre Brett Roy Damario Ambrose
WLB Bart Scott Josh Mauga Demario Davis
MLB David Harris Nick Bellore Marcus Dowtin
OLB Calvin Pace Aaron Maybin Ricky Sapp
CB Darrelle Revis Kyle Wilson Julian Posey Ryan Steed
CB Antonio Cromartie Ellis Lankster Isaiah Trufant Donnie Fletcher
Devon Torrence
S LaRon Landry Josh Bush D’Anton Lynn
S Yeremiah Bell Antonio Allen Marcus Lott
S Eric Smith

Special Teams

K Nick Folk Josh Brown
P T.J. Conley Travis Baltz
H T.J. Conley Travis Baltz
PR Jeremy Kerley Kyle Wilson Dexter Jackson Joe McKnight
KR Joe McKnight John Griffin Dexter Jackson Royce Pollard
LS Tanner Purdum Derek Chard

di
di

hQ7T6dWWAKI

View the full article

I wouldn't pay too much attention to this. We all know Demario Davis isn't going to be that far down on the depth chart. It's an unofficial, official depth chart. After the starters, everything is pretty much up in the air.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to this. We all know Demario Davis isn't going to be that far down on the depth chart. It's an unofficial, official depth chart. After the starters, everything is pretty much up in the air.

A lot of it is political right now. Making sure players like Davis, "earn it". No way will he be buried on the depth chart when the games start.

If you really look at this, it's pretty clear it's designed to give absolutely no information whatsoever on camp battles, etc. Across the board, every single returning starter from last year / free agent starter signing is listed at the top of the depth chart, with all of the rookies and low level FAs buried beneath them. The only real exception to that rule would be Hill at #2 WR, but even then that has more to do with the fact that there's nobody else they have any particular reason to fill in there. When you consider things like Coples being listed as a backup and listing 3 starting safeties (as all 3 qualify as returning starters or FA's signed to start), it tells you how little this all means.

So DeVito over Coples and apparently we're gonna start the season off with a 15 yd penalty for too many players on the field on D. We have to be the only team in the league with 12 listed starters, right?

I doubt anyone would complain. If I where an opposing coach I'd rather play us with 12 men on the field if one of them is Eric Smith then 11 without him

So DeVito over Coples and apparently we're gonna start the season off with a 15 yd penalty for too many players on the field on D. We have to be the only team in the league with 12 listed starters, right?

I believe it's a 5 yard penalty, but maybe we can get away with it with these scab refs! Rex's master plan!!!

Also, I thought Austin Howard was kinda pushing Wayne Hunter....but he's listed third string?

it's a huge sign of respect that eric smith is a 1st team safety. the Jets really do consider him a starter it would seem.

Ah, the old 3-4-5!

Terrance Ganaway is going to be the 2nd FB.

I think Baker did it last year. I don't really think we should have a 2nd FB, but if we do I'd rather go blocker than draft pick. Remember when Caulcrick was going to be a FB?

They love the 3 safeties. Last year I only wanted the 3rd safety on the field if he was the 12th man.

Yeah, but that was last year. We're so deep this year on the line that we're better off using the 12th spot for an extra defensive lineman. Like a 4-4-2-2. Could work. That would be a huge sign of respect to Eric Smith too. Like, he's so good that it takes a full extra player on the field to make up for what he brings.

the Jets didn't release it this way by accident.

You're right, they quite intentionally released it so that every single starter from last year was listed as a starter at the beginning of the preseason. There's little more to take from it than that. After all, I have to imagine this depth chart hasn't drastically changed your view on the Slauson / Ducasse situation, has it?

Unless Sanchez becomes a football player, subtracting Mangold out of that chart legitimately terrifies me. When your season rests on your center staying healthy, that's bad. Very, very bad.

That's the rub, isn't it? The Giants surrendered considerably more pressure than we did last year, but Eli's awesome, so they won the Super Bowl. Meanwhile we're stuck with a guy who wets his pants whenver anyone's within a yard of him, so we're forced to keep the OL constantly stocked with All-Pros or face 8-8 every year.

That's the rub, isn't it? The Giants surrendered considerably more pressure than we did last year, but Eli's awesome, so they won the Super Bowl. Meanwhile we're stuck with a guy who wets his pants whenver anyone's within a yard of him, so we're forced to keep the OL constantly stocked with All-Pros or face 8-8 every year.

\

Eli wasnt always awesome. He's had a couple of 8-8 seasons.

Archived