O-Line

GangisGreen

We can argue that Sanchez sucks, or that we have no RB's or WR's but honestly our O-Line is a serious concern. Last year they were terrible in pass protection and it did not seem any better last night. To make matters worse our offense is supposed ground and pound but it does not work when there are no holes to run through. an offensive line is the foundation to any good offense and ours seems to be highly overrated.

We can argue that Sanchez sucks, or that we have no RB's or WR's but honestly our O-Line is a serious concern. Last year they were terrible in pass protection and it did not seem any better last night. To make matters worse our offense is supposed ground and pound but it does not work when there are no holes to run through. an offensive line is the foundation to any good offense and ours seems to be highly overrated.

I agree. It's really a shame when I catch myself thinking.... "well Wayne Hunter isn't playing so.. " Our O line is a concern and if they don't do something to address it before the season, we are facing an up hill battle to say the least.

fwiw i didn't see any big OL breakdowns last night. I saw at least 2 situations where the defense was bringing more rushers than the offense had blockers, that's on Mark.

Same as last year the kid might be bigger but he doesn't seem to handle pressure any better. (The OL wasn't bad last year either). Mark just can't handle an expected amount of pressure.

fwiw i didn't see any big OL breakdowns last night. I saw at least 2 situations where the defense was bringing more rushers than the offense had blockers, that's on Mark.

Same as last year the kid might be bigger but he doesn't seem to handle pressure any better. (The OL wasn't bad last year either). Mark just can't handle an expected amount of pressure.

That first sack was directly over Slauson. Mauluga ran right by him. Brutal.

Spot on about Sanchez, btw. He has zero ability to process when he's rushed. It looks like Sparano's plan will be to roll him out a lot like he was a high school QB. Bleak.

It was on Mark? I thought I saw Tebow running for his life. And McElroy running for his life. And running backs getting crushed in the backfield. And our TE's whiffing on edge blocks. And at least two instances where our guards were blown up and our QB never got their feet set at all. That's what I thought I saw. I thought I saw Tebow running instead of throwing because there was no pocket. I also thought I saw multiple sacks from multiple QB's. But I guess I didn't. I guess the line was pretty good after all. Whew! That's a relief!

It was on Mark? I thought I saw Tebow running for his life. And McElroy running for his life. And running backs getting crushed in the backfield. And our TE's whiffing on edge blocks. And at least two instances where our guards were blown up and our QB never got their feet set at all. That's what I thought I saw. I thought I saw Tebow running instead of throwing because there was no pocket. I also thought I saw multiple sacks from multiple QB's. But I guess I didn't. I guess the line was pretty good after all. Whew! That's a relief!

That's true, then again, did you see the play where Sanchez takes a 7 step drop and then immediately passes for 7 yards? I mean WTF is that???

That's true, then again, did you see the play where Sanchez takes a 7 step drop and then immediately passes for 7 yards? I mean WTF is that???

Yeah, I don't know if that's Sanchez or play design or just a lack of good receivers. But it wasn't very pretty. One positive: Patrick Turner showed up to play. Three nice receptions and decent chemistry with the QB. Would have liked to see Holmes and Kerley in there to get a truer guage of our passing abilities though.

Spot on about Sanchez, btw. He has zero ability to process when he's rushed. It looks like Sparano's plan will be to roll him out a lot like he was a high school QB. Bleak.

Where he's even more inaccurate and prone to sh*tty decisions.It really is pick your poison in a vain attempt to minimize the suckitude that is Pick 6.

Yeah, I don't know if that's Sanchez or play design or just a lack of good receivers. But it wasn't very pretty. One positive: Patrick Turner showed up to play. Three nice receptions and decent chemistry with the QB. Would have liked to see Holmes and Kerley in there to get a truer guage of our passing abilities though.

Right. Patrick Turner is an interesting case... I never believe in him, no one ever seems to believe in him no matter how good he looks. But honestly the results speak for themselves with that guy - when he's in the game, he makes plays. Nothing flashy but a very solid guy.

The bottom of our WR corps is going to be interesting to watch. I don't suppose they can carry 6 WR's, so I guess it will be Turner competing with White for #5.

cumberland and powell deserve some heat as well

but it's the first PS game in a new offense, so lets chill

Cumberland made a statement last night. That statement was, he is not a blocking Tight End. It is a problem actually the combo at TE is not a good fit.

1. Keller

2. Cumberland

3. Baker

The only other option is Hayden Smith who never played football before?

They are going to need to hit the waiver wire for a blocking tight end. They need a Matthew Mulligan that doesn't suck. Shouldn't be that hard to find.

Can't blame Sanchez for the line, can't blame Tannenbaum for Sanchez or the line, can't blame the line because it's Sanchez, can't blame Rex because he's a defensive guy, can't blame the coordinator because the offensive roster stinks, but you can't blame Tannenbaum for that either, because the OC is clueless.

Can't blame Sanchez for the line, can't blame Tannenbaum for Sanchez or the line, can't blame the line because it's Sanchez, can't blame Rex because he's a defensive guy, can't blame the coordinator because the offensive roster stinks, but you can't blame Tannenbaum for that either, because the OC is clueless.

I think you've finally figured out why Jet fans are so naturally optimistic!

Hehe. Awesome.

Seriously, though, I think you can blame Tannenbaum. The ofensive line has been a problem since preseason last year. And has never goten back to its 2009 form. Now its an outright liability. And not a damned thing has been done to fix it in all this time. Who has Tanny brought in? Otah and Shladeraff. And Robert Griffin, a UDFA-grade tackle we spent a draft pick on. We drafted D-line (our deepest position) and a raw WR. Now we can't run or throw and have no offense no matter who's taking snaps. Like him or not, Tannenbaum has done a poor job in regard to the teams biggest and most obvious weakness for the past two years.

Hehe. Awesome.

Seriously, though, I think you can blame Tannenbaum. The ofensive line has been a problem since preseason last year. And has never goten back to its 2009 form. Now its an outright liability. And not a damned thing has been done to fix it in all this time. Who has Tanny brought in? Otah and Shladeraff. And Robert Griffin, a UDFA-grade tackle we spent a draft pick on. We drafted D-line (our deepest position) and a raw WR. Now we can't run or throw and have no offense no matter who's taking snaps. Like him or not, Tannenbaum has done a poor job in regard to the teams biggest and most obvious weakness for the past two years.

7 offseasons. Seven. Siete. That's more than enough time to put an adequate offense on the field.

Hehe. Awesome.

We drafted tebow to play RT! DUH

Hehe. Awesome.

Couldn't have said it any better. Tannebaum has done absolutely nothing to upgrade the line. It's deja-vu all over again. An atrocious RT and absolutely no depth.

Sanchez is good on the run! He's good at playaction!

Seriously stop. If you need to roll out your QB for him to have success, he isnt an NFL QB. Also, when was the last time your heard someone describe a QB as a sh*tty playaction QB?

All in all, if the offense goes out and embarrasses itself throughout the season, I cant imagine someone doesnt get sh*t canned. I'm sure Woody likes Tannenbaum, but if the Jets are a joke this year I'd expect a change.

The offense looks Cleveland Brownesque, and it was never that good to begin with during Tanny's tenure.

The O-line was like a block of Swiss Cheese last year. The weakest link on last years team was OT and since Tannenbaum FAILED to upgrade the line in the offseason, we will be out of the playoff hunt by Halloween.

LT is the most important place on the line and we have a stud there, though admittedly he had a down year, he's still a stud.

C is the second most important place on the line and we have arguably the best center in the league there.

Elsewhere, we've got a RG that should easily rank in the top half of the league, if not top 10.

To me, that should be all you need. The LG and the RT just need to be competent, you DON'T need 5 pro-bowl offensive linemen. Most teams don't have 3 pro-bowlers on their line like we do.

I blame the skill position players. The quarterback is tentative. The receivers can't get separation. The running backs do nothing on their own.

LT is the most important place on the line and we have a stud there, though admittedly he had a down year, he's still a stud.

C is the second most important place on the line and we have arguably the best center in the league there.

Elsewhere, we've got a RG that should easily rank in the top half of the league, if not top 10.

To me, that should be all you need. The LG and the RT just need to be competent, you DON'T need 5 pro-bowl offensive linemen. Most teams don't have 3 pro-bowlers on their line like we do.

I blame the skill position players. The quarterback is tentative. The receivers can't get separation. The running backs do nothing on their own.

I think you are dead-on but I would include that the offensive coaching needs an upgrade as well. It's a so-so OL going into 2012. Hunter would have to go some to be considered competent, but that can be minimized with clever coaching. It's when both OTs suck or when the OT and OG on the same side are trash that there's really a problem. OTOH, non-existent depth is very scary since OLers get nicked (or worse) a lot.

The problems with the skill players are probably more serious. Sanchez holding on to the ball too long and Greene being unable to make many yards on his own make the OL look worse than it actually is. The lack of a blocking TE, especially, is going to make it very hard for the Jets to be a "ground and pound" team. A blocking TE is essential to a good running game, even in a pass-first, spread offense like the Bills run.

I'm holding out hope that coaching has been the primary culprit.

Archived