Quinton Coples Merged

TNJet

I know it was only 1 game but dude looks to be the real deal. He did more last night than Gholston did in 3 years with us. If I rememeber correctly he was doubled several times, had atleast 2 tackles behind the line of scrimmage, a forced fumble and sack, batted down a pass, and got MacIntyre a sack do to his double team on one play. Also props to DE Richardson, he definately should be in our D line rotation this season guy can play. Its just nice to see a first round pick play well immediately in his first game. I haven't seen that since maybe Sanchez in 2009. Yes Sanchez started out red hot, then tapered off tho lol.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, he has a motor on him and was providing constant pressure. Looked better than Gholston ever did in just one preseason game. Also, Jay Richardson was looking almost as good as Couples, yet no one is mentioning him. I'm suprised.

Couldnt agree more. He played like a guy who has been in the league a few years already.

Those burn tats on his arms are ugly nasty lookin though.

Theyre brands from his fraternity. I dont know exactly what it's called but I think Vince Carter and Michael Jordan were both part of the same fraternity. I think it makes him look scary.

He looked like he was completely out of gas late in the game, but did a decent job overall. And, anyone who brands his arms to look "scary" is definitely not a tough guy. He certainly did not embarrass himself on the field, but there weren't any "wow" moments. I guess the Jet's bar has been set exceedingly low if we're comparing him to the Ghoul.

He looked like he was completely out of gas late in the game, but did a decent job overall. And, anyone who brands his arms to look "scary" is definitely not a tough guy. He certainly did not embarrass himself on the field, but there weren't any "wow" moments. I guess the Jet's bar has been set exceedingly low if we're comparing him to the Ghoul.

agree he looked tired...but he put up 5 tackles, a TFL a strip-sack and a batted pass. he also played the run solidly and never looked lost or confused. He did get buried and driven onto his back during the TD run. But so did half the D-line.

I know it was only 1 game but dude looks to be the real deal. He did more last night than Gholston did in 3 years with us. If I rememeber correctly he was doubled several times, had atleast 2 tackles behind the line of scrimmage, a forced fumble and sack, batted down a pass, and got MacIntyre a sack do to his double team on one play. Also props to DE Richardson, he definately should be in our D line rotation this season guy can play. Its just nice to see a first round pick play well immediately in his first game. I haven't seen that since maybe Sanchez in 2009. Yes Sanchez started out red hot, then tapered off tho lol.

I agree, he has a motor on him and was providing constant pressure. Looked better than Gholston ever did in just one preseason game. Also, Jay Richardson was looking almost as good as Couples, yet no one is mentioning him. I'm suprised.

Wow, were people really associating Couples with Gholston, or was it just a fear that we may have drafted another bust? I never looked at Couples as a potential Gholston. He had a pretty good night last night.

lol, I agree. Then again this is the Jets we root for. I've been walking over the bar for years until Rex came here and actually raised it a bit. As for Couples, He did look tired during that second half. When he gets into NFL shape though he'll be a force, he had a very good outting last night.

It was mostly against 2s and 3s, but he definitely looked to be as advertised. Excited to see how he and Ellis look once the live bullets start flying.

Every team in the league has a couple of 2s and 3 ranked guards starting for them...ala sacks for Coples.

Every team in the league has a couple of 2s and 3 ranked guards starting for them...ala sacks for Coples.

While this may be the case, Coples then did exactly what a pick like him should have against those 2's and 3's in limited playing time. Unlike Gholston who struggled to produce even against the 4's and bubble players that wouldn't even go on to practice squads.

I´m starting to understand that a typical Jet fan is a cynical, bitter man. We get a guy who shows a lot of promise right from the start and does a lot of very good things in a new team and system. But this isn´t enough, no he must be a JPP or DW clone to get the nod.. Well even if I have very limited knowledge of the game compared to you guys, I truly think this is a very good pick. He will be a beast and a dominant contributor for us for years to come.

If we must complain on something from yesterday I would say the O. That scares me, really scares me, QB.s, running, O-line.... We got a lot of work there to be done. None of the runningbacks did a good job, and if it is all on them or a combo of many things I leave for you to decide. But man do we have some work to do. I now understand why you draft RB:s high. If we are supposed to be a ground and pound team, don¨t we need a runningback or two to do the actuall running?

Good call on Richardson. The guy is fast and intense. I also liked K. Ellis. He played well!

Good call on Richardson. The guy is fast and intense. I also liked K. Ellis. He played well!

Yeah, Ellis definitely looked good out there, and that was at the start of the game with the 1s. A NT isn't typically going to make a lot of the big plays that catch people's attention, but he still played damn well, and when you have a NT chasing RBs down to the sideline, that's pretty damn cool to see. The DL is the last place for anyone to be concerned about with this team.

Couldnt agree more. He played like a guy who has been in the league a few years already.

Those burn tats on his arms are ugly nasty lookin though.

Guy looked exausted ayt times in the second half more like the Quotes below describe. Im not sure how you judge his "motor" from anything he did last night

agree he looked tired...but he put up 5 tackles, a TFL a strip-sack and a batted pass. he also played the run solidly and never looked lost or confused. He did get buried and driven onto his back during the TD run. But so did half the D-line.

Guy looked exausted ayt times in the second half more like the Quotes below describe. Im not sure how you judge his "motor" from anything he did last night

Honestly, who cares? It was his first pre-season game, and he showed us something. If he gets tired after the 1st half of every pre-season game, and even into the first 6 games of the season, I don't care... again, he showed something. This is especially true to me given his rep. If he had the rep of being a low-end but solid producer, it wouldn't matter to me. But since he has a huge upside and the question is only that of motivation and such, this performance is encouraging.

Even Rich Cimini thought so. When Rich Cimini says something positive about a Jet, you gotta listen

I wouldnt question anybody's "motor" (hate that term, its BS) either by a first preseason game.

He just isnt in full football condition yet and motor and conditioning are 2 seperate things

FWIW, I think Rex kept him in late in the game to send him a message and the guy stepped up.

Lets see his motor when the real games start.

I think he will be fine and will prove to be a good pick.

It was encouraging to see. This defense has a chance to be the best one yet of the Ryan era. I think we upgraded at safety. (besides the Smith injury lol j/k) And our D-line may finally penetrate. We'll see.

Holy sh*t, tho, with those brands on his arm. lol I think he may regret that one day. Idk

I´m starting to understand that a typical Jet fan is a cynical, bitter man. We get a guy who shows a lot of promise right from the start and does a lot of very good things in a new team and system. But this isn´t enough, no he must be a JPP or DW clone to get the nod.. Well even if I have very limited knowledge of the game compared to you guys, I truly think this is a very good pick. He will be a beast and a dominant contributor for us for years to come.

It looks to me like everyone here agrees..he played very well. As far as the typical Jets fan being cynical....Haha yeah I'd say so.

Some guys just don't get it going in practice like they do on game day. Lord knows, I was one in basketball. What made me a decent baller was that I would get myself pissed off for game days. Then I would take out my anger on the opposing team. Obviously I couldn't do that in practice. Maybe Coples is the same way, who knows?

Archived