Quinton Coples Merged

TNJet

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finishing in the top 20 for 3 years in a row is hardly impressive.

Top 20 DVOA for 3 years in a row has identifiable quantifiable meaning. 'Impressive' doesn't. So you're right. They're hardly the same.

Finishing in the top 20 for 3 years in a row is hardly impressive.

No one said Greene was impressive. He's an average-to-above-average player. The argument is with your characterization of him as being terrible or garbage or the worst back in the league or whatever invective you're slinging his way this week.

Top 20 DVOA for 3 years in a row has identifiable quantifiable meaning. 'Impressive' doesn't. So you're right. They're hardly the same.

Greene finished behind Jackie Battle last season in DVOA. I just went and checked Greene was 21st with a 2.2 DVOA. Start the parade.

top 20 in dvoa as a back 3 years in a row isnt exactly impressive. It sounds like a made up ESPN stat.

That's a "made up ESPN stat" but yards after contact isn't? That isn't exactly an official stat. The fact is, Greene gained significantly more yards per carry than the team average in 2011 as the starter and 2009. In 2010 he did a bit worse than LT (0.10 of a yard) and considerably worse than the team average which (as the year before) was skewed by Brad Smith's success. "Yards after contact" sounds nice, but the fact is a RB should avoid contact and IMO it mostly just means he is running up the gut for 4 yards at a time, getting 1 or 2 after contact. What he is supposed to do. I fail to see how his failure to break any big runs is some kind of huge indictment when the guy has good ypc.

No one said Greene was impressive. He's an average-to-above-average player. The argument is with your characterization of him as being terrible or garbage or the worst back in the league or whatever invective you're slinging his way this week.

When you're clinging to top 20 in DVOA for his first 3 seasons like it means anything....it sounds awfully similar to the 4 road playoff wins argument.

I mean stop blowing Aaron Shatz for a second and watch Greene run. He runs like he has a paper bag over his head.

That's a "made up ESPN stat" but yards after contact isn't? That isn't exactly an official stat. The fact is, Greene gained significantly more yards per carry than the team average in 2011 as the starter and 2009. In 2010 he did a bit worse than LT (0.10 of a yard) and considerably worse than the team average which (as the year before) was skewed by Brad Smith's success. "Yards after contact" sounds nice, but the fact is a RB should avoid contact and IMO it mostly just means he is running up the gut for 4 yards at a time, getting 1 or 2 after contact. What he is supposed to do. I fail to see how his failure to break any big runs is some kind of huge indictment when the guy has good ypc.

DVOA is a good stat. When youre saying he finished top 20 his first three years...that's like saying Phil Hughes pitches well in day games in August. Who cares?

DVOA is a good stat. When youre saying he finished top 20 his first three years...that's like saying Phil Hughes pitches well in day games in August. Who cares?

Educate me on DVOA. It's some kind of value assigned for time on the field or replacement value, right? Top 20 does not sound like it makes him a home run draft pick, but it's not exactly bad territory for a third rounder.

DVOA is a good a good stat. When youre saying he finished top 20 his first three years...that's like saying Phil Hughes pitches well in day games in August. Who cares?

It's more like saying that Shonn Greene is consistently above-average on a per-play basis while playing on a team that has Mark Sanchez at quarterback and against the defensive fronts that that entails, which is actually fairly impressive to everyone who is able to conceptualize it.

It's more like saying that Shonn Greene is consistently above-average on a per-play basis while playing on a team that has Mark Sanchez at quarterback and against the defensive fronts that that entails, which is actually fairly impressive to everyone who is able to conceptualize it.

He finsihed 17th, 10th and 21st in DVOA over his first 3 years. That actually rounds out to exactly average.

But you are also held hostage by DVOA and its the only stat that matters to you, so whatever.

edit- Greenes rookie season he was 19th in DVOA. He performed slightly above average with an all world offensive line. Jones actually graded out even worse.

Hell the 2009 Jets have a great back...who knows.

He finsihed 17th, 10th and 21st in DVOA over his first 3 years. That actually rounds out to exactly average.

Yes, exactly average assuming that you are for some reason dividing by the number of teams in the league rather than by the number of running backs with a hundred carries in a given year.

Boooring.

Yes, exactly average assuming that you are for some reason dividing by the number of teams in the league rather than by the number of running backs with a hundred carries in a given year.

Boooring.

That's not what I did though. And you're initial point of him finishing top 20 wasnt even accurate,

Thank you! Why do some people see everything in black and white terms?

Matt, saying Greene is an overachiever or saying that he is better than you think isn't remotely the same as saying he is a great running back. I agree that Greene isn't great. I also disagree that he sucks. He's somewhere in between the two extremes.

That's not what I did though. And you're initial point of him finishing top 20 wasnt even accurate,

Okay. What did you do to determine that top 20 out of the 50 or so guys that get 100 carries in a given year is not above average? And why does the fact that he was 21st instead of 20th one year matter?

Okay. What did you do to determine that top 20 out of the 50 or so guys that get 100 carries in a given year is not above average? And why does the fact that he was 21st instead of 20th one year matter?

lol, because you were barking about him finishing in the top 20 his first three seasons as some sort of accomplishment. And hell my eyes suck, Greene finished 25th last season in DVOA.

lol, because you were barking about him finishing in the top 20 his first three seasons as some sort of accomplishment. And hell my eyes suck, Greene finished 25th last season in DVOA.

Considering they were also Sanchez's first three seasons, of course it's an accomplishment.

Educate me on DVOA. It's some kind of value assigned for time on the field or replacement value, right? Top 20 does not sound like it makes him a home run draft pick, but it's not exactly bad territory for a third rounder.

Defense Adjusted Value Over Average. It breaks down how much success a player or unit achieves in specific situations compared to the league averages in those situations. Some situations are worth more than others. So basically, it measures actual success against expected success. League average is standardized at 0%. Negative is good for defense, positive is good for offense.

Archived