Tannenbaum has been uncharacteristically quiet

nj meadowlands

<<Disclaimer: Shane, please do not post in this thread>>

I feel like this is unlike Tannenbaum to not address the glaring needs we have at RT (and to a lesser extent WR).

Can anyone posit an explanation for why the Jets might be sitting on their hands? Are we bone dry on draft picks? Screwed up tight against the cap? Not making moves because we need to save money for Revis? There is simply nothing available out there? We are waiting for camp cuts? We like Austin Howard and Chaz Schilens THAT much??? (Ugh)

For a guy who has been so willing to make the splash, Tannenbaum's silence seems strange to me.

WR is a glaring need now? Because in one preseason game without Kerley and Holmes they looked bad? He just invested a 2nd in WR. Hell if things are so bad they can still re-sign Burress and be where they were last year (yippee!). As for O-line, it's not uncharacteristic (see Adrien Clarke AND 2011) and he hasn't stood pat. He made the deal for Otah and it didn't pan out. I'm sure they will be scouring the waiver wire for an upgrade they can afford.

Hopefully he's on the phone trying to get a right tackle or a blocking tight end. The receivers are a question mark but they're not anywhere near as weak as the o-line and not as essential to the ground and pound as a tight end that can block.

WR is a glaring need now? Because in one preseason game without Kerley and Holmes they looked bad? He just invested a 2nd in WR. Hell if things are so bad they can still re-sign Burress and be where they were last year (yippee!). As for O-line, it's not uncharacteristic (see Adrien Clarke AND 2011) and he hasn't stood pat. He made the deal for Otah and it didn't pan out. I'm sure they will be scouring the waiver wire for an upgrade they can afford.

Hoping so sir

It seems to me that Tannenbaum has embraced the idea that he's got a top notch center, a good LT, a "franchise QB", and a good WR, so the offense is "good enough" to get by with whatever mediocre fill-ins the Jets can scrounge up at other positions if only they build the defense into a clone of the 1985 Bears or the 2000 Ravens. I don't know if this is Ryan's philosophy, and that Tannenbaum has gotten on board with it or if Tannenbaum has developed this idea all by himself.

Hill is a rookie WR, and WRs frequently take a year or two to adapt to the pro game, particularly since Hill played in a triple option offense and is going to be asked to play in a pro-set (as opposed to a spread offense like NE and Buffalo run), so it's likely that he will take a while to "get it".

A team can't build an OL "on the cheap" with primarily 6th and 7th round draft picks, UDFA, and refugees from the waiver wire. Since drafting D'Brick and Mangold in 2006, the Jets have only drafted 4 or 5 OLers, and only 1, Ducasse, was a high draft pick. The Jets OL was already getting old in 2009, and there's been no "young guns" brought in to help, just mediocre or worse replacements to be names on the depth chart.

Otah is what you get when you depend upon finding OLers at the start of TC -- the old and the lame. Sometimes, they're both. Otah is what there is out there for FA OTs this year -- and for a couple of years before this as well. The scarcity of FA OTs is NOT something that just occurred this year out of the blue.

Hopefully he's on the phone trying to get a right tackle or a blocking tight end. The receivers are a question mark but they're not anywhere near as weak as the o-line and not as essential to the ground and pound as a tight end that can block.

Blocking TEs ought to be relatively easy to find, far easier than any kind of OT. That the Jets don't already have one on the roster really raises the issue of whether the Jets really intend to try to be a "run first" team.

You really think a waiver wire pick up is going to magically come in and be an all pro anyone. This is basically what we got

At best, they might pick up a young OG or OT who might be depth this season, and might develop into something better with some work.

for once slats I have to agree with you...

I like the fact we havent traded away next years draft for who ever...

it's only been a few minutes man. :D I wouldn't count on all of those picks being there on draft day,

WR is a glaring need now? Because in one preseason game without Kerley and Holmes they looked bad? He just invested a 2nd in WR.

It is a need if Kerley and Holmes aren't healthy. Kerley has been hurt since OTAs and Holmes has barely practice. In fact, Holmes pulled himself out of the minicamp because of injury.

If both guys are back healthy they it won't be an issue, but at least for Kerley they may be looking at a PUP situation if he doesn't hit the field in the coming weeks.

What is the point of having any primo WRs when there's NOBODY under center ho can throw anything more than an inaccurate dump off, the proverbial 4-yard pass on 3rd and 7.

So it was Otah or nothing? That was the big OL move? F___in' grand.

I still think there is a trade coming. The Slauson renegotiation was peculiar to me considering how much time was left in camp. If we weren't working on something, then why would we simply hand the starting job over so early in camp? Was Vlad that awful? Clearly Tanny wasn't satisfied with our O-Line since he tried to make the Otah deal, freeing up money from Slauson happened for a reason.

What is the point of having any primo WRs when there's NOBODY under center ho can throw anything more than an inaccurate dump off, the proverbial 4-yard pass on 3rd and 7.

So it was Otah or nothing? That was the big OL move? F___in' grand.

I never said he solved the problem or was going to, I said he didn't stand pat. I also note that he has bringing in WRs like crazy. They are nobodies, but he is trying new combos.

I still think there is a trade coming. The Slauson renegotiation was peculiar to me considering how much time was left in camp. If we weren't working on something, then why would we simply hand the starting job over so early in camp? Was Vlad that awful? Clearly Tanny wasn't satisfied with our O-Line since he tried to make the Otah deal, freeing up money from Slauson happened for a reason.

That struck me when reading Jason's cap convo in the Harvin thread.

Archived