Packers sign RB Cedric Benson

faba

Packers sign RB Cedric Benson

19 hours ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) — In need of another running back, the Green Bay Packers have signed veteran Cedric Benson.

Benson left Cincinnati after spending four seasons with the Bengals, leading them in rushing each year. But Cincinnati showed little interest in re-signing the eight-year veteran.

The Packers have been plagued by injuries in what has been an unimpressive running game. Green Bay finished 27th in rushing in 2011 despite going 15-1.

James Starks is bothered by turf toe, Brandon Saine (hamstring) has not practiced, Alex Green is coming off knee surgery, and Ryan Grant was not re-signed.

The 29-year-old Benson rushed for at least 1,000 yards in each of the last three seasons. He was Chicago's top draft pick in 2005.

The Associated Press

Rotoworld lists it as 1 year $825K.

Jeesh. I think he's WELL worth that and would have been a good option here as a stop gap measure in case Greene Sucks which is very possible. I'm all for using the young guys, but Benson is proven/ I think this, as well as seeing Braylon catch td's on the cheap, just stinks.

Jeesh. I think he's WELL worth that and would have been a good option here as a stop gap measure in case Greene Sucks which is very possible. I'm all for using the young guys, but Benson is proven/ I think this, as well as seeing Braylon catch td's on the cheap, just stinks.

There isn't enough room on the roster for old guys and young guys. Carrying Benson means that Ganway, Powell or McKnight are gone. You can't have it both ways. Same thing with Edwards. Guy caught one TD in a preseason game - Yippee! He didn't do jack last year and neither of these guys are/were exactly Tebow in the lockerroom.

There isn't enough room on the roster for old guys and young guys. Carrying Benson means that Ganway, Powell or McKnight are gone. You can't have it both ways. Same thing with Edwards. Guy caught one TD in a preseason game - Yippee! He didn't do jack last year and neither of these guys are/were exactly Tebow in the lockerroom.

HEY!!!! I'll stay in love with BE as long as I want to man. :D And don't forget that one TD is more than our whole team was able to pull off in the first preseason game. It's just funny. If we had a WR here who was only on the team for a week or two weeks etc we would make excuse after excuse as to why he wasn't having an impact. BE goes to the seahawks and catches a TD pass ftaer being on the team for a week or so. Good WR's are good WR's.

I'm not trying to get into anither BE argument here, I'm just stating a point.

As far as Cedric goes, I would have felt much better with him on our roster this season. Take away any of the backs you mentioned for him and it would we would most likely have gotten more production out of him than them. Next season we could draft a RB high and be done with it.

What's done is done I get it. I'm just stating my feelings that Benson would have been more effective than a 7th rd pick would have been for us this season.

HEY!!!! I'll stay in love with BE as long as I want to man. :biggrin: And don't forget that one TD is more than our whole team was able to pull off in the first preseason game. It's just funny. If we had a WR here who was only on the team for a week or two weeks etc we would make excuse after excuse as to why he wasn't having an impact. BE goes to the seahawks and catches a TD pass ftaer being on the team for a week or so. Good WR's are good WR's.

I'm not trying to get into anither BE argument here, I'm just stating a point.

As far as Cedric goes, I would have felt much better with him on our roster this season. Take away any of the backs you mentioned for him and it would we would most likely have gotten more production out of him than them. Next season we could draft a RB high and be done with it.

What's done is done I get it. I'm just stating my feelings that Benson would have been more effective than a 7th rd pick would have been for us this season.

There is more to the game. On pure numbers Burress did fine here last year. In fact, he cured the thing we were most concerned with - red zone efficiency. OTOH, we can't have him back because he was not going to help matters. That's the way I feel about Braylon. No reason to single Edwards out either. The same will go for any of these older guys - Lee Evans, 85, Benson, they would all just be taking a roster spot from a younger player who would be giving similar production and more upside. Think of it this way, if you were a Giants fan would you have been clamoring to pick up a vet WR? If they did then they would have missed out on the Victor Cruz mania.

Benson wouldn't have been able to contribute on special teams. Its clear the Jets are making Bilal Powell the 3rd down back (even though he probably sucks), so this means cutting Joe McKnight, a very capable kick returner. Not worth it.

Benson wouldn't have been able to contribute on special teams. Its clear the Jets are making Bilal Powell the 3rd down back (even though he probably sucks), so this means cutting Joe McKnight, a very capable kick returner. Not worth it.

Is it clear already that Powell has become our 3rd down back? I see them having just as much of a chance of trying to use John Connor there as well ala Richie Anderson or Jerald Sowell. I don't think Powell has won anything yet.

There is more to the game. On pure numbers Burress did fine here last year. In fact, he cured the thing we were most concerned with - red zone efficiency. OTOH, we can't have him back because he was not going to help matters. That's the way I feel about Braylon. No reason to single Edwards out either. The same will go for any of these older guys - Lee Evans, 85, Benson, they would all just be taking a roster spot from a younger player who would be giving similar production and more upside. Think of it this way, if you were a Giants fan would you have been clamoring to pick up a vet WR? If they did then they would have missed out on the Victor Cruz mania.

Yeah that makes sense and that was a good example too. I really do teeter back and forth on subjects like this.

The only issue I have with all of that is that even though I tend to fall in love with the bottom of the Jets roster as much as the next guy, those players rarely work out for us. This is a big season for us and the Rex Ryan regime. I think he's a good coach and like him here. The problem I'm having is I feel there are key elements of our team that have gone unaddressed. Getting a Cedric Benson for under 1 mil and losing out on a guy like powell or ganaway (who most likely will not work out for us) is a good risk production wise imo.

I was very upset when we let that RB go who was featured on hard knocks for us a couple of years ago. He got picked up by the Rams I think it was. I was all broken up and now can;t even remember his name, lol

I think the Powell vs. McKnight competition is still wide open. Powell entered Friday's game in the lead, but it looked to me like McKnight outperformed him.

I agree with the decision to not bring in Cedric, but if they did I think Ganaway would've been the odd man out.

Getting a Cedric Benson for under 1 mil and losing out on a guy like powell or ganaway (who most likely will not work out for us) is a good risk production wise imo.

We would have spent the season complaining about how we paid almost $1 million for another Shonn Greene with better hands but less burst, then cut one of our other backs to do so.

Benson would only have been a guy you bring in if another RB got hurt. That's precisely why the Packers signed him; incumbent James Starks is battling turf toe.

We would have spent the season complaining about how we paid almost $1 million for another Shonn Greene with better hands but less burst, then cut one of our other backs to do so.

Benson would only have been a guy you bring in if another RB got hurt. That's precisely why the Packers signed him; incumbent James Starks is battling turf toe.

who's we? Me? :D

who's we? Me? :biggrin:

Everyone. We complain on a mass scale here. Some people here STILL haven't gotten over Braylon Edwards, a guy who's on his 2nd team since leaving the Jets, caught only 15 balls last year, and may get cut in favor of 39-year old Terrell Owens (the Seahawks aren't going to keep TWO veteran WR's who can't contribute on special teams).

Everyone. We complain on a mass scale here. Some people here STILL haven't gotten over Braylon Edwards, a guy who's on his 2nd team since leaving the Jets, caught only 15 balls last year, and may get cut in favor of 39-year old Terrell Owens (the Seahawks aren't going to keep TWO veteran WR's who can't contribute on special teams).

Ahhhhh I see. I happen to be in the Braylon camp. He caught more TDs this past week than our entire team.... 1. lol

The thing is, while I like to watch younger guys play and grow etc. I am also for winning. IMO this team has been dismantled over the past two seasons and it's a shame to watch. I have little hope that Powell (who I'm really rooting for) and Ganaway come in here and get more production that a Cedric Benson would have. That's my take on it. And for less than 1 mil, it was well worth it.

Ahhhhh I see. I happen to be in the Braylon camp. He caught more TDs this past week than our entire team.... 1. lol

The thing is, while I like to watch younger guys play and grow etc. I am also for winning. IMO this team has been dismantled over the past two seasons and it's a shame to watch. I have little hope that Powell (who I'm really rooting for) and Ganaway come in here and get more production that a Cedric Benson would have. That's my take on it. And for less than 1 mil, it was well worth it.

YPC. How many carries will it take for Benson to get that "production"? Greene gained 4.2 ypc, while Benson got 3.9. Meanwhile the Bengals as a team got 3.9 ypc, while the Jets got 3.8. No reason to take carries from somebody else for Benson. Sure you know what you get with him, but what you get isn't very good and there is very little upside. If you are for winning, take a chance on a young guy. The Giants won in 2007 riding Ahmad Bradshaw, an injury prone 7th round pick that was 4th on the depth chart to start the season and in 2011 by using Victor Cruz an UDFA that they didn't think could stay healthy.

Archived