Should the Jets bring in Jeff Demps for a tryout?

nj meadowlands

I dont see the harm. He's fast as lightening and pretty much unstoppable in the open field.

But dude cant stay healthy.

I could see bringing him in just to see what he's got but dont think he's going to have an NFL career.

Does he even want one? I'm not sure the track thing was just for the Olympics. Tryouts are never bad, despite what this board my think, guaranteed money often is.

Does he even want one? I'm not sure the track thing was just for the Olympics. Tryouts are never bad, despite what this board my think, guaranteed money often is.

What, an NFL career?

He filed paper work with the league today. So yeah, I think he wants to play Football in the NFL.

I wonder what all the Tebow fans think about this one...

This Tebow fan loves Demps but I don't think he is a good fit for the Jets. He has not made it through a single season without getting dinged up and then he becomes just a small guy.

Now if he was 6'6" and about 325 lbs and could play offensive line I would be all for it.

I wonder what all the Tebow fans think about this one...

Short answer is that he could probably help the Jets weak RB situation, plus it's pretty difficult to overthrow him on a go route. :winking0001:

Long answer, and just skip it if you aren't interested, critiques on my posting are both irrelvant and water off a ducks back anyway.

I suggested that they should draft RB/WR Chris Rainey but they passed on him.

He scored a 50-something yard TD on a short pass in his 1st NFL preseason game btw.

I think that Chris is a bit more versatile but Demps is quicker off the line and he is a blazing fast

straight line runner, while Rainey had the better moves/cuts and was a slightly better receiver.

Demps 5-8 185 did fairly well with Tebow at QB in 2009.

Rushing - 745 yards on 99 carries (7.5 avg.) with 7 TD's.

Receiving - 8 for 52 yds, 6.5 ypr

* A 2009 SEC Academic Honor Roll selection so he's no dummy either.

Against Bobby Bowden's FSU Defense he had 7 carries for 106 yds, 15.1 ypc. which included a 62 yd TD.

Without the 62 yard run he still averaged 7.3 ypc.

Career UF Stats:

Rushing - 367 for 2,470 yds, 6.7 ypc, 23 TD's, Long 84 yds.

Receiving - 57 for 481 yds, 8.4 ypr, 1 TD, Long 72 yds.

Punt Rtn - 2 for 37 yds.

KO Rtn - 21 for 604 yds, 28.8 yd/ave, 1 TD, Long 99 yds

All Purpose = 3,592 yds with 25 TD's.

As far as staying healthy goes, he played in 51 games as a Gator with 27 starts in a 'run by committee' backfield.

He is the ONLY athlete in UF History to win NC's in two sports. He was a football player who could also ran track, not the other way around.

For the rest of the story:

http://www.gatorzone.com/football/bios.php?year=2009&player_id=181

Demps Gator 2010 Bio - 5-8 190 was his Sr Season playing size.

He is as hard as nails and he's got some 'guns' on him too, from UF's conditioning program.

I doubt that it would take him very long to get his football playing weight back again.

Reasons for NFL teams to consider Demps.

1. 9.96 100-M (21.04 200-M)

2. 6.52 60-M

3. Four time NCAA Natl. Champion in Track.

4. Football Player that also ran track with World Class speed.

5. Only 2 sport Natl. Champ in UF history, Football & Track, with multiple indoor and outdoor titles.

Additional reasons for the Jets to consider Demps.

1. Played with Tebow in the Spread/Option Offense at UF where they frequently ran the zone-read option.

2. Demps played a key role in Florida's 2008 National Title. Rushing - 78 for 605 yards, 7.8 ypc, 7 TD's.

3. What many don't seem to know is that for his size, Jeff is also a strong inside runner who breaks arm tackles.

4. Tebow has already vouched for the Jets to bring Demps aboard.

"They asked me about him. Jeff is a great guy and a great player. He's someone I was proud to play with in college an

d he did a great job for us. ... Would we love to have him? Absolutely. I'd love to have him as a teammate because I

know how hard he works and what he brings to the table."

The Jets could even look to emulate what the Steelers have done early on with fellow Florida WR/RB Chris Rainey.

The small but super-quick back scored a TD on a screen pass in his preseason debut while also serving as the backup RB.

* Which is why I suggested Rainey to the Jets in the draft.

5. SEC Honor Roll and never in any kind of trouble while at UF.

He is as hard as nails

No. No he's not. He was always banged up.

And the truth is, he was absolutely worthless vs. stiff defensive teams. He had a couple of good games vs. LSU his first 2 seasons but otherwise, not so much vs. a good defense.

Bring him in for a look, sure, expect him to make an NFL roster? I wouldnt hold my breath.

It's a lifetime when your program is on the down side while Alabama and LSU aren't slowing down. Let's face it, Nick and Les can recruit better than Will at the moment and the forseeable future.

Huh? How can you tell after one season? lol. Muschamp had a top 5 recruiting class this year according Rivals, ahead of Bama.

This is just a ridiculous comment. Florida has won a National Championship since the last time LSU has...and still has 2 in the last 5 years, just like Bama.

Just rounding out the conversation. I would suggest we both agree that Alabama will win the SEC this year, in spite of the percieved top 5 recruiting class, no?

LSU or Bama. Yeah.

I dont think the Gators will beat the Noles. Not unless their offense takes a big step forward. The Gators defense, will be nasty. All depends on the QB.

Archived