Now that TC in Cortland is over...

gangreenman

Let's here it.... 52 man roster predictions....

OFFENSE (24):

QB (3)

Sanchez

Tebow

McCelroy

FB (1)

Connor

HB (3)

Greene

McKnight

Powell

TE (3)

Keller

Cumberland

Baker

OL (8)

Brick

Slauson

Mangold

Moore

Hunter

Vlad

Raff

Howard

WR (6)

Holmes

Hill

Kerley

Schillens

White

Turner

DEFENSE (25):

S (5)

Bell

Landry

Smith

Allen

Bush

CB (6)

Revis

Cro

Wilson

Lankster

Trufant

Posey

LB (8)

Thomas

Scott

Harris

Pace

Maybin

Davis

Mauga

Mcyntire (sp)

DL (6)

Wilkerson

Pouha

Coples

Devito

Ellis

Dixon

ST (3)

K: Folk

P: Conley

LS: Purdum

Looks about right to me. Although since it's a 53 man roster I'd add Ganaway to the RB group. Beyond that I'm guessing they'll be looking for someone else to take Howard's spot as OL depth, and I think Richardson has a good shot to make it as another DL, especially if the Jets plan on playing with a lot more 4 DL. In that case, I'd guess they'd probably cut back on the LBs for the same reason in which case I'd guess McIntyre is the one sent packing. Even if not, I'd guess Bellore probably makes it over McIntyre (if for no other reason, his special teams contributions). I'd also guess that Baker ends up getting bumped back down to the PS in favor of a blocking TE they'll grab off of waivers.

Looks about right to me. Although since it's a 53 man roster I'd add Ganaway to the RB group. Beyond that I'm guessing they'll be looking for someone else to take Howard's spot as OL depth, and I think Richardson has a good shot to make it as another DL, especially if the Jets plan on playing with a lot more 4 DL. In that case, I'd guess they'd probably cut back on the LBs for the same reason in which case I'd guess McIntyre is the one sent packing. Even if not, I'd guess Bellore probably makes it over McIntyre (if for no other reason, his special teams contributions). I'd also guess that Baker ends up getting bumped back down to the PS in favor of a blocking TE they'll grab off of waivers.

Interesting... I think they'd keep Baker over Cumberland due to Baker's versatility (can be used at FB as well). We'll see how that works out...

And yeah, it is a 53 man roster... Which would mean a roster spot for Ganaway or Griffin. Id agree that Ganaway would probably be more useful.

Interesting... I think they'd keep Baker over Cumberland due to Baker's versatility (can be used at FB as well). We'll see how that works out...

And yeah, it is a 53 man roster... Which would mean a roster spot for Ganaway or Griffin. Id agree that Ganaway would probably be more useful.

Yeah, my guess is Griffin goes to the PS. They seem to have committed to giving Vlad at least one more year and apparently like Schlauderaff, plus with Slauson also getting reps to slide over to center if Mangold were to get hurt, that probably has them all set at interior line this year.

I hear what you're saying on Baker, but my guess is based more on the Jets definite preference of Cumberland last year and them liking his potential. They clearly had plans to get him involved in the offense last year before his injury, while keeping Baker behind the horrendously awful Mulligan even after Cumberland went down.

Yeah, my guess is Griffin goes to the PS. They seem to have committed to giving Vlad at least one more year and apparently like Schlauderaff, plus with Slauson also getting reps to slide over to center if Mangold were to get hurt, that probably has them all set at interior line this year.

I hear what you're saying on Baker, but my guess is based more on the Jets definite preference of Cumberland last year and them liking his potential. They clearly had plans to get him involved in the offense last year before his injury, while keeping Baker behind the horrendously awful Mulligan even after Cumberland went down.

Matt Mulligan was brought into be a blocking TE. In reality, they should have just called him a False Start/Holding TE. The fact that we kept playing him in close games was absurd. Not having him on the roster this year is addition by subtraction.

I was unsure about the Howard/Heyer/Landolt situation at backup OT... I put in Howard because the CS gave him the start last week in place of Hunter, so I figure he must be ahead in that competition.

FB (1)

Connor

HB (3)

Greene

McKnight

Powell

TE (3)

Keller

Cumberland

Baker

WR (6)

Holmes

Hill

Kerley

Schillens

White

Turner

First of all, kudos for making a list. I never do, I just critique the ones other people post. :)

I think Conner is on the bubble. If they believe they can fill his production with Ganaway, Baker, and/or Bellore (?), he's expendable. Tanny's remarks that he was on the team for now were either curious or telling.

Don't see the team carrying 6 WRs and just 3 RBs, anyway. This Demps kid could complicate things if this is where he lands, but I think only Holmes and Hill are safe amongst the WRs. Everyone else is expendable. Schilens and Kerley can't get off the stationary bikes (and Kerley's already been called out by both Tanny and Rex), if not for that either cutting Turner or slipping White onto the practice squad would've been my guess.

First of all, kudos for making a list. I never do, I just critique the ones other people post. :)

I think Conner is on the bubble. If they believe they can fill his production with Ganaway, Baker, and/or Bellore (?), he's expendable. Tanny's remarks that he was on the team for now were either curious or telling.

Don't see the team carrying 6 WRs and just 3 RBs, anyway. This Demps kid could complicate things if this is where he lands, but I think only Holmes and Hill are safe amongst the WRs. Everyone else is expendable. Schilens and Kerley can't get off the stationary bikes (and Kerley's already been called out by both Tanny and Rex), if not for that either cutting Turner or slipping White onto the practice squad would've been my guess.

There's no chance the Jets get rid of Kerley. This offseason may not be going well for him, but that alone isn't going to have them give up on a second year player who had a very nice second half to his rookie season as a 5th rounder.

If schillens misses one more preseason game, I see the Jets getting rid of him no matter what Sanjay says. That opens up one more spot shih obviously should be used on another WR.

I Also like Richardson to make the team as well. He had a monster sack on Fri night and has a god motor from what I've seen so far. I love to watch D line and I know it hasn't been much to see yet, but I like him.

I am kind of surprised to hear the chatter about Conner this season. But then again, I guess his hype is mostly in part due to Hard Knocks huh. Is Ganaway really a fullback option? I know he was suppose to be the #2 in an emergency, but would they really convert him over full time? And Bellore hasn't played FB since high school. Why he is being dropped into the roll at this level is kind of weird, no? They passed on Toal last season who was an experienced LB and FB at BC.

If schillens misses one more preseason game, I see the Jets getting rid of him no matter what Sanjay says. That opens up one more spot shih obviously should be used on another WR.

I Also like Richardson to make the team as well. He had a monster sack on Fri night and has a god motor from what I've seen so far. I love to watch D line and I know it hasn't been much to see yet, but I like him.

Schilens has been on the cutting block supposedly cause the health concerns. I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone soon. But that would leave us hurting at WR even before the season started, no?

Schilens has been on the cutting block supposedly cause the health concerns. I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone soon. But that would leave us hurting at WR even before the season started, no?

I would guess WR is probably one of the places they'll be watching the waiver wire for this year, along with OT and TE.

Thank You

For a power ground and pound team, with no blocking TE and a suspect OL...Id say Conner is pretty darn safe for now.

I was between 5 and 6 WR... But I think guys like Schillens and Turner are perfect types for Tebow formations... White I like because he's a security blanket to Kerley, who might be in for a soph slump. Especially considering I forgot that the roster was 53 and not 52, Ganaway still has a spot as the 4th HB/ 2nd FB. Other then that, I think all 6 WR give us more then our 4th option at TE, 4th at QB, or 9th OL...

I would guess WR is probably one of the places they'll be watching the waiver wire for this year, along with OT and TE.

I am kind of worried that a good solid, or at least serviceable, WR won't ever be available. I am OK with where we are at TE. Want to see the hype train that is Cumberland final get some looks. Tackle, well.. I think thats where we are all hanging our heads.

I am kind of worried that a good solid, or at least serviceable, WR won't ever be available. I am OK with where we are at TE. Want to see the hype train that is Cumberland final get some looks. Tackle, well.. I think thats where we are all hanging our heads.

Certainly not going to get any world beaters at WR, but I think the only thing the Jets would be looking for at this point would be a solid veteran player with some experience. Cumberland isn't going anywhere but Baker could easily get bumped down to the PS in favor of a blocker. Baker doesn't have the size to be that guy and neither Keller nor Cumberland can block to save their lives, which is kind of a problem in a run-first offense. As far as tackle goes, we have to hope the Jets get lucky like the Ravens did last year with McKinnie.

Certainly not going to get any world beaters at WR, but I think the only thing the Jets would be looking for at this point would be a solid veteran player with some experience. Cumberland isn't going anywhere but Baker could easily get bumped down to the PS in favor of a blocker. Baker doesn't have the size to be that guy and neither Keller nor Cumberland can block to save their lives, which is kind of a problem in a run-first offense. As far as tackle goes, we have to hope the Jets get lucky like the Ravens did last year with McKinnie.

I was listening to ESPN radio (it beats pop radio on the drive home!) and Don seems to think we have to wait on someone like a WR rich team like the Giants to waive someone for us to snag a potential young up and comer. I would be happy with someone not named Burress or Chad Johnson at this point.

Whatever came of that rugby player? I know its early to say, but its feeling more and more like we are going to part ways with Keller after this season.

Lucky at tackle.. or just that Hunter just figured it out in the off season. *cries*

I am kind of surprised to hear the chatter about Conner this season. But then again, I guess his hype is mostly in part due to Hard Knocks huh. Is Ganaway really a fullback option? I know he was suppose to be the #2 in an emergency, but would they really convert him over full time? And Bellore hasn't played FB since high school. Why he is being dropped into the roll at this level is kind of weird, no? They passed on Toal last season who was an experienced LB and FB at BC.

Thank You

For a power ground and pound team, with no blocking TE and a suspect OL...Id say Conner is pretty darn safe for now.

Sparano has this A & B back system, and I don't know how often he plans to get them both on the field at the same time. Whenever the team goes to three WRs, the FB is the first guy to come off. I don't know if Conner does enough to justify a roster spot. If they can use Baker and/or Ganaway to fill what is essentially a part time position, do they need Conner? Could they come up with a better use for that roster spot?

I think they might be able to.

I was between 5 and 6 WR... But I think guys like Schillens and Turner are perfect types for Tebow formations... White I like because he's a security blanket to Kerley, who might be in for a soph slump. Especially considering I forgot that the roster was 53 and not 52, Ganaway still has a spot as the 4th HB/ 2nd FB. Other then that, I think all 6 WR give us more then our 4th option at TE, 4th at QB, or 9th OL...

Deciding who gets cut may be difficult, but it's hard for me to imagine this ground & pound, defense based football team carrying 6 WRs. I expect the team to find another TE after roster cuts, and OL, RB, and WR are all positions they could be looking at as well. The entire WR corps has been a disappointment this summer. I think the Jets were hoping that White could push Kerley, but now he can't get on the field, either.

My guess right now would be trying to get White to the practice squad. Prior to camp, my guess would've been cutting Turner outright, but he's been a steady hand in a banged up group. Be nice now to see him be rewarded. Schilens has to be worried about his job, too.

Sparano has this A & B back system, and I don't know how often he plans to get them both on the field at the same time. Whenever the team goes to three WRs, the FB is the first guy to come off. I don't know if Conner does enough to justify a roster spot. If they can use Baker and/or Ganaway to fill what is essentially a part time position, do they need Conner? Could they come up with a better use for that roster spot?

I think they might be able to.

Run blocking, short yardage, goal line... we have to have a true fullback! I can't imagine cutting him just to replace him with an inexperienced replacement.

I like Baker, but I think Cumberland sticks over Baker. Way more upside. Bigger and faster and more success when he has been on the field. Unless the injury has slowed him.

Baker played some FB last year. He'd be a nice option to catch the ball out of there - remember all the damage done by Anderson and Sowell before the Jets went away from the FB. They didn't really pass on Toal, they had him and he couldn't stick. I think the fact they are trying Ganaway and Bellore there is proof that Connor is getting to the bubble. They may not want a pure FB.

Schilens is supposed to miss this game, but I don't see him being cut yet. Give him a chance. They don't save anything by cutting him early.

They pick up WR every year, but rarely experienced guys. They usually pick up guys with sick combine numbers that didn't stick. Probably guys that Tanny liked in the draft, but couldn't get with his limited picks ;) Allison, Riley, Jackson, Turner. They have tended to carry an extra WR that they signed after cuts.

I was listening to ESPN radio (it beats pop radio on the drive home!) and Don seems to think we have to wait on someone like a WR rich team like the Giants to waive someone for us to snag a potential young up and comer. I would be happy with someone not named Burress or Chad Johnson at this point.

Whatever came of that rugby player? I know its early to say, but its feeling more and more like we are going to part ways with Keller after this season.

Lucky at tackle.. or just that Hunter just figured it out in the off season. *cries*

The Giants? Ramses Barden? Ugh. Maybe if they let loose Jernigan or Hixson. Even Stanback - somebody that contributes on specials. Dan DePalma FTW?

Run blocking, short yardage, goal line... we have to have a true fullback! I can't imagine cutting him just to replace him with an inexperienced replacement.

Connor is the inexperienced replacement. They aren't going to pick up a young guy to take his spot. He's either here or it's Baker/Ganaway/nobody @ FB. They went without a true FB for a few years before they signed Richardson. It might not have been choice, they tried bringing in Dorian Barnes but he sucked.

I like Baker, but I think Cumberland sticks over Baker. Way more upside. Bigger and faster and more success when he has been on the field. Unless the injury has slowed him.

Baker played some FB last year. He'd be a nice option to catch the ball out of there - remember all the damage done by Anderson and Sowell before the Jets went away from the FB. They didn't really pass on Toal, they had him and he couldn't stick. I think the fact they are trying Ganaway and Bellore there is proof that Connor is getting to the bubble. They may not want a pure FB.

Schilens is supposed to miss this game, but I don't see him being cut yet. Give him a chance. They don't save anything by cutting him early.

They pick up WR every year, but rarely experienced guys. They usually pick up guys with sick combine numbers that didn't stick. Probably guys that Tanny liked in the draft, but couldn't get with his limited picks ;) Allison, Riley, Jackson, Turner. They have tended to carry an extra WR that they signed after cuts.

The Giants? Ramses Barden? Ugh. Maybe if they let loose Jernigan or Hixson. Even Stanback - somebody that contributes on specials. Dan DePalma FTW?

Connor is the inexperienced replacement. They aren't going to pick up a young guy to take his spot. He's either here or it's Baker/Ganaway/nobody @ FB. They went without a true FB for a few years before they signed Richardson. It might not have been choice, they tried bringing in Dorian Barnes but he sucked.

You are a master of the multi quote. I just thought you should know that. :D

I hear what you're saying and while that has been true in the past, you also have to look at the difference in what the Jets have in camp this year. In the past they've had a lot of older veteran receivers throughout camp, and then take a flier on a younger guy at the end of camp off waivers. In this case, they have plenty of young athletic talent already in camp that are likely to make the roster, so that's not where their focus will be. If anything, I think they'd be more interested in somebody who they could possibly plug and play if need be given the inexperience at the position. Again, not anyone particular impressive, but just somebody they can rely on just in case things don't work out with some of these other guys. Essentially to be what Schilens was originally brought in to be. Of course, if these guys get healthy and start to really show something throughout the rest of the preseason, that might not be the case.

Archived