Rex Doesn't Commit To Starting Hunter Week 1

Maxman

August 20, 2012 12:04 PM

Jets head coach Rex Ryan doesn't commit to Wayne Hunter as Week 1 starting right tackle

BY Manish Mehta

Rex Ryan didn’t exactly give Wayne Hunter a vote of confidence when he danced around the question whether the maligned right tackle would be the Week 1 starter against the Bills on Sept. 9.

“I’m going to say this. We’re committing to putting a good football team on the field,” Ryan said on Monday morning. “Competition not just at the right tackle spot, but there’s competition throughout… We’re loaded in some spots and the competition is elevating peoples’ play… But to sit back and say this guy’s definitely the starter, I’m not ready to do that… I like to see guys compete and earn their jobs out there.”

Ryan wouldn’t even commit to Hunter or backup Austin Howard being the starting right tackle in three weeks.

“I’m not going to paint myself in a corner because things happen.” Ryan said.

Hunter gave up 2.5 sacks in the Jets’ preseason loss to the Giants on Saturday night. He was repeatedly beat by Jason Pierre-Paul. Hunter also was beat by Justin Tuck on a sack that was nullified by a penalty.

“He’s not the only one in the league that’s going to get beat by Pierre-Paul,” Ryan said. “That is one heck of a football player. With that said, can his fundamentals be better? Of course. Absolutely. That’s what I’m stressing to him. We got to get back to playing technique and fundamentals. It’s not just him. It’s across the board… When you get beat, you rely on those more and more”

“Was there some glaring mistakes?” Ryan said. “Well, when you’re isolated 1-on-1 sometimes against one of the premier pass rushers in the game, it becomes clear when you make a mistake. He did some good things in the game as well. But some of his mistakes were pretty evident.”

Howard, who has impressed in camp, could see some first-team reps against the Panthers on Sunday night.

“Yeah, well see,” Ryan said. “He’s had his moments in camp where we're really impressed with him. Then, there’s other things where he’s got to pick his game up as well. But we’ll see how it goes later this week.”

The Jets had reached out to veteran free agent Vernon Carey, who played for Tony Sparano in Miami, this offseason. But Carey's playing days are likely over. He's coaching at a high school.

The Daily News has learned that the Jets haven't inquired about former Jets and Giant tackle Kareem McKenzie as of now. McKenzie is an unrestricted free agent and could provide the stability that the Jets are lacking at right tackle.

http://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN

Ignoring problems until they become the achilles heel of a season, seems to be the trademark of the Tannenbaum / Ryan era so far.

Hopefully something is done and they break this trend.

I really wish that statement was not true. But it is hard to argue against that point.

Ignoring problems until they become the achilles heel of a season, seems to be the trademark of the Tannenbaum / Ryan era so far.

Hopefully something is done and they break this trend.

It still boggles my mind how a RT could be the achilles heel to anybody's season. If there's an achilles heel it's sanchez or some other factor, not the right tackle. There can be other examples, but we need not look any further than the fact that last year's superbowl champs had a RT that graded out just as bad if not worse than our supposed achilles heel.

Never in my life have I heard of a RT being the lone linchpin in whether a team makes a strong playoff push or wins a half dozen games.

It still boggles my mind how a RT could be the achilles heel to anybody's season. If there's an achilles heel it's sanchez or some other factor, not the right tackle. There can be other examples, but we need not look any further than the fact that last year's superbowl champs had a RT that graded out just as bad if not worse than our supposed achilles heel.

Never in my life have I heard of a RT being the lone linchpin in whether a team makes a strong playoff push or wins a half dozen games.

And the truth is, its probably not on the RT as much as it is on Sanchez. As gloomy as the season looks right now and wondering who the F is going to score, the beauty is, its preseason, and this same team minus 2 washed up players were 8-5 and had every shot in the world at the playoffs.

That said, I fully expect this to be our roster and we'll just have to cross our fingers for improvement on the offense because once again, I think we are going to have a SB caliber defense.

replace RT with Offensive coordinator and we have the threads from last season. Jets fans want to believe it's Schotty, Holmes or Hunter holding the team back. It's Mark and he's always been the weak link.

And I like Mark. He just isn't good enough right now.

What's just as crazy is that there isnt a tight end on the roster capable of helping Hunter in obvious passing situations.

Listen.

If Sanchez ends up being one of those shell-shocked QBs that continues to get pounded and can't function even when he does have ample time, like David Carr, then it has an impact.

If the running game can't function, for a team built on defense and killing the clock. It has an impact.

Last year the problem that was ignored, admittedly by Rex, was the locker room dischord between Sanchez and the WRs.

They are trending on not proactively fixing problems before they become a detriment. Instead they take a reactive approach. Not a good sign for a football team, tbh.

It is a tendency guided by business philosophy. Nothing really to do with Hunter, so much as the people in charge of the whole.

Listen.

If Sanchez ends up being one of those shell-shocked QBs that continues to get pounded and can't function even when he does have ample time, like David Carr, then it has an impact.

If the running game can't function, for a team built on defense and killing the clock. It has an impact.

Last year the problem that was ignored, admittedly by Rex, was the locker room dischord between Sanchez and the WRs.

They are trending on not proactively fixing problems before they become a detriment. Instead they take a reactive approach. Not a good sign for a football team, tbh.

It is a tendency guided by business philosophy. Nothing really to do with Hunter, so much as the people in charge of the whole.

If Sanchez is getting pounded, it's in large part due to his own tendencies (homosexual undertones overtyly intended). He has poor pocket awareness and pre-snap reads. Yes, there have been some QBs who have been ruined due to being repeatedly hit, like Carr as you mentioned, but there are plenty of others who haven't. Getting repeatedly hit is not an excuse I'm willing to buy into for a QB not to perform on plays he's not getting hit.

If our running game is not performing, it's not due to the line. Look at last year's numbers, our line adjusted run rate was top 8 in the league, our backs are bottom 5 in the league in getting more than what the line will give them. They just simply cannot get anything that isn't given to them. If green had any type of game in him, he would have average 5 yards a carry last year. They have been proactively trying to fix that, they've selected a back in almost every single draft, which is fine by me as I don't think investing a top pick on a RB is worth it anymore.

Yes, there have been some problems that have been overlooked, but none of them are what's going to ruin your season. The only problem that has been repeatedly overlooked that hamstrings this team, is Sanchez. He just isn't that good. And unless he takes a big step forward, there's not many other fixes that will help.

RT Eric Winston signed with the Chiefs this offseason for 4 yrs $22 mil ($5.5 mil per) while Tannenbaum guaranteed Hunter's $2.5 mil this year and traded for Tebow who is making $2.5 mil this year.

Eric Winston for $5.5 mil or Hunter & Tebow for $5 mil?

If Sanchez is getting pounded, it's in large part due to his own tendencies (homosexual undertones overtyly intended). He has poor pocket awareness and pre-snap reads. Yes, there have been some QBs who have been ruined due to being repeatedly hit, like Carr as you mentioned, but there are plenty of others who haven't. Getting repeatedly hit is not an excuse I'm willing to buy into for a QB not to perform on plays he's not getting hit.

If our running game is not performing, it's not due to the line. Look at last year's numbers, our line adjusted run rate was top 8 in the league, our backs are bottom 5 in the league in getting more than what the line will give them. They just simply cannot get anything that isn't given to them. If green had any type of game in him, he would have average 5 yards a carry last year. They have been proactively trying to fix that, they've selected a back in almost every single draft, which is fine by me as I don't think investing a top pick on a RB is worth it anymore.

Yes, there have been some problems that have been overlooked, but none of them are what's going to ruin your season. The only problem that has been repeatedly overlooked that hamstrings this team, is Sanchez. He just isn't that good. And unless he takes a big step forward, there's not many other fixes that will help.

I'm not saying the problem is either Sanchez OR Hunter. Only the foolish people here argue this as an A or B debate. The reality is Sanchez came in raw, didn't get hit much in year's one and two, the team succeeded and the kid wasn't groomed on mechanics. He's still raw.

Now he plays behind a sh*tty line. Gets hit a tone more. Nothing breaks down a QBs mechanics like being wallup'ed a few times a game more than they are comfortable with. Blue chip QBs wash out regularly because of this reason and this reason alone.

Anyone that considers themselves a football fan SHOULD understand the residual impact taking a beating has on a quarterback, especially a young, mediocre one.

RT Eric Winston signed with the Chiefs this offseason for 4 yrs $22 mil ($5.5 mil per) while Tannenbaum guaranteed Hunter's $2.5 mil this year and traded for Tebow who is making $2.5 mil this year.

Eric Winston for $5.5 mil or Hunter & Tebow for $5 mil?

Winston all day.

replace RT with Offensive coordinator and we have the threads from last season. Jets fans want to believe it's Schotty, Holmes or Hunter holding the team back. It's Mark and he's always been the weak link.

And I like Mark. He just isn't good enough right now.

I have been one of Sanchez' fiercest defenders this offseason, but I'm starting to agree with this sentiment, I don't know if it's the Jets coaching that screwed him up, or he is just a 1 read QB who needs Pro Bowlers at every position, and a perfect system, but right now Mark can't read a D pre snap, can't find an open WR if his first read is covered, and has zero pocket presence, add all that up, and maybe Mark is just a below average QB, who can look amazing against inferior talent like he did in USC.

I'm not going to completely give up on him thou, he has shown flashes of being a really good QB, but not since 2010, IDK if that's the lack of talent, Mark's head being screwed up by the coaches, or there just wasn't enough tape yet on Mark, and Schotty's offense back in 2010 to expose him like he has been exposed last year, and so far this preseason.

That said Tebow is by no means the answer, I would rather see McElroy back there than Tebow.

If we could only take Mark's arm, and mechanics, with Tebow's leadership, heart, and legs, and put McElroy's brain on top of it, and we could have a great QB lol.

Winston all day.

in a grass is not always greener situation the Texans released Winston because of ankle injury. There was concern he's not the same player. Also in Houston he was known for prioritizing his weekly radio show over football responsibilities. After all this he got 3x more than Hunter is making (and the Jets had already guaranteed Hunter before Winston shook loose).

in a grass is not always greener situation the Texans released Winston because of ankle injury. There was concern he's not the same player. Also in Houston he was known for prioritizing his weekly radio show over football responsibilities. After all this he got 3x more than Hunter is making (and the Jets had already guaranteed Hunter before Winston shook loose).

All Winston needed to be was a JAG and he's better than Hunter.

The Hunter guarantee was epically stupid. Wouldve been the stupidest move Tanny did all offseason ... until he signed Sanchez to an extension. There was absolutely no need to guarantee Hunter's contract. They shouldve cut him and try to renegotiate if necessary, like they did to Moore years ago. No one else was signing Hunter after what happened last year.

Winston is a zone blocking tackle, and not a man on man tackle. Not that he's worse then Hunter, far from it he just does not fit our scheme.

Any competent RT fits the scheme. The Jets need a JAG and wouldve gotten a good one in Winston, even if not tailor made for the scheme. An instant upgrade at RT.

While I didn't know all that, but completely understand the validity of it, it's still Winston over a guy that should be cut, and Tebow, a short-yardage RB listed at a QB.

Any competent RT fits the scheme. The Jets need a JAG and wouldve gotten a good one in Winston, even if not tailor made for the scheme. An instant upgrade at RT.

I agree but if they thought Hunter was this bad then Winston would be aJet now. At the time they did not want to spend 5 mill on a zone blocking RT with injury issues. At this time it's pure semantics.

If we could only take Mark's arm, and mechanics, with Tebow's leadership, heart, and legs, and put McElroy's brain on top of it, and we could have a great QB lol.

Wait, is this an option? We should totally do this. I would even settle for McElroy's brain in Sanchez's body and bypass the Tebow.

Sanchez's legs are fine. He can move but he just doesn't know where to move to or when.

Wait, is this an option? We should totally do this. I would even settle for McElroy's brain in Sanchez's body and bypass the Tebow.

Sanchez's legs are fine. He can move but he just doesn't know where to move to or when.

Or we can tell McElroy to copy Brady's offseason program from year 1 to year 2, PED's, PED's, and more PED's gain that arm strength kid.

Stop comparing this team to other teams especially the Giants. The real issue with you is that you got something against Sanchez and you want to use the offenses current melt down as an opportunity to lay it on him but it pisses you off that everyone is pointing the finger a Hunter who in actuality is the problem. Sanchez gets sacked cause Hunter is blocking, its not complicated. If Sanchez just gets rid of the ball rather than hold on to it for a few extra seconds in the hopes that he can make a play, you will be all over him saying why does he get rid of the ball so quickly instead of making a play.

Sanchez gets sacked cause Hunter is blocking, its not complicated. If Sanchez just gets rid of the ball rather than hold on to it for a few extra seconds in the hopes that he can make a play, you will be all over him saying why does he get rid of the ball so quickly instead of making a play.

i don't care if there are 5 all-pros playing offensive line. Sometimes the QB isn't getting more than 3 seconds. That's what happens when the other team blitzes 7 and there are 6 blockers. He's gotta get rid of it.

I will never ever ever criticize Mark for getting rid of the ball quickly. it's his fatal flaw right now. And it's not just the Jets, he can't be a QB in the NFL for any team if he doesn't get faster getting the ball out.

Stop comparing this team to other teams especially the Giants. The real issue with you is that you got something against Sanchez and you want to use the offenses current melt down as an opportunity to lay it on him but it pisses you off that everyone is pointing the finger a Hunter who in actuality is the problem. Sanchez gets sacked cause Hunter is blocking, its not complicated. If Sanchez just gets rid of the ball rather than hold on to it for a few extra seconds in the hopes that he can make a play, you will be all over him saying why does he get rid of the ball so quickly instead of making a play.

I think you have me confused with someone else. I have always been one of the most optimistic jets' fans on this board, I've just come to the realization that sanchez is making the exact same mistakes that he was making in his first year as a pro. I have openly admitted that hunter is absolutely terrible, one of the worst starting right tackles in the league, but I am also, something you don't seem to be able to do, able to admit that one terrible RT isn't the end all be all when it comes to team success.

And what is wrong with making comparisons to other teams who have an extremely similar situation regarding their right tackle? What better way to understand what is happening then to look at the numbers of different sample sizes and see that, yes while hunter is absolutely terrible, there has to be a reason that we are one of the few teams that can't seem to overcome that.

I would criticize Mark for throwing the ball too soon?? How could you possibly extrapolate that assumption from me saying he holds onto the ball too long, has poor pre-snap reads or pocket awareness is beyond me. I have never been critical of Mark until this off-season, mainly because I see the same things I saw the last three years. I would prefer he got rid of it early as he throws a good slant; he tends to get into trouble when he holds onto the ball, because he doesn't seem to be able to read a defense beyond his first read and tries to make things happy far too often; ie. throwing the ball late on the pick six off his back foot. That is not something that should still be happening in his fourth year.

Archived