The Official Maurice Jones Drew Thread [Merged 3X]

NYGiantFan10

Trading draft picks for expensive veterans is a big part of what's wrong with the current Jets' roster. The picks and money needed to land MJD would be further devasting. Where do you get the picks and money next year for all the OL, LB, and, most importantly, QB needs the team will likely still have next year?

Such a trade would be a disaster.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trading draft picks for expensive veterans is a big part of what's wrong with the current Jets' roster. The picks and money needed to land MJD would be further devasting. Where do you get the picks and money next year for all the OL, LB, and, most importantly, QB needs the team will likely still have next year?

^ This

there is not ONE football player on this team that we tradesd for with draft picks thats anywhere close to the talent MJD has. not even close. This guy comes in here and gives this entire offense instant respect and opens things up in a big way. Teams now have to game plan for a guy who can take it to the house at any moment. Who in the Jets backfield comes even remotely close to that kind of talent ? No One. I think this guy turns us into an instant consistent offense and helps Mark in the play action passing game by leaps and bounds. This team is good enough to win now with a well placed move like signing this guy. If we get 2 or 3 great years out of him it was well worth it because in 2 -3 years the core of this team will be on its last legs anyhow. Go for it now we have the defense we need to do this.

there is not ONE football player on this team that we tradesd for with draft picks thats anywhere close to the talent MJD has. not even close. This guy comes in here and gives this entire offense instant respect and opens things up in a big way. Teams now have to game plan for a guy who can take it to the house at any moment. Who in the Jets backfield comes even remotely close to that kind of talent ? No One. I think this guy turns us into an instant consistent offense and helps Mark in the play action passing game by leaps and bounds. This team is good enough to win now with a well placed move like signing this guy. If we get 2 or 3 great years out of him it was well worth it because in 2 -3 years the core of this team will be on its last legs anyhow. Go for it now we have the defense we need to do this.

We pay him then how do we pay Revis next year?

Wow. Amazing that the Jaguars haven't sniffed the playoffs since his second year with all that talent. Or that they haven't broken .500 since he was handed the full load.

What sort of pick haul do you think it would take to land MJD? Then you have to throw in a Ray Rice-like $8M/year contract. That won't win the Jets a Super Bowl, that will just guarantee that they won't be getting there anytime soon.

The Jests offense is simply NOT good enough to make Jones-Drew a good investment. Yes, he would be significantly better than Greene, but that's NOT going to solve the problem of an OL that's mediocre on its best days. Having MJD is NOT going make improving the WR corps unnecessary. MJD is NOT going to enable Mark Sanchez to read defenses, make better decisions, get rid the ball faster, and abandon his reliance on his check-down receivers. All Jones-Drew will do is give Jets fans a false sense of hope. Defenses will simply put 8 in the box to stop MJD and Sanchez's check-downs, and the Jets will be barely better offensively than they would have been without him -- and poorer in terms of cap space and draft picks.

IMO, MJD is probably NOT a good investment for most NFL teams, but for a team with the offensive problems that the Jets have, he'd be almost as bad an investment as Tebow.

Bingo bango bongo. Our biggest playmaker is Tim Tebow. We have an OC and HC who want to run the ball and run it hard. There is quite literally no better back in the league for this style. Get it done. The cap space will get figured out, it always does.

This. There is no need to trade for a RB and give him big money. What this offense needs is a RT and a possesion WR.

The argument can go both ways. In Sparano's system, you could argue they need a running back that helps open up an underneath game for a possession receiver like Kerley to succeed.

The argument can go both ways. In Sparano's system, you could argue they need a running back that helps open up an underneath game for a possession receiver like Kerley to succeed.

I think Sparano is not showing very much at this point. He is a Parcells guy - he won't show anything in the preseason and he will play to the teams strength vs the opponents weakness. I don't think we can pass judgement on this offense until the season starts. I personally think that Kerley would get open more underneath than Patrick Turner would and that once he gets on the field it should help the offense no matter what.

I think Sparano is not showing very much at this point. He is a Parcells guy - he won't show anything in the preseason and he will play to the teams strength vs the opponents weakness. I don't think we can pass judgement on this offense until the season starts. I personally think that Kerley would get open more underneath than Patrick Turner would and that once he gets on the field it should help the offense no matter what.

What's our team's strength? We can't run or throw. We couldn't last year and we won't be able to this year. Kerley be open underneath if the linebackers and safeties don't fear a sufficient run game. That's the whole idea of a ground and pound system.

There's no good argument for trading picks and then spending $8M/year on a 27 year old RB with a lot of miles on him. Is MJD winning you a Super Bowl? If the answer is no (and it is), you pass on the player.

Those picks and that cash could be used to fill multiple positions next year. Needs on the OL, and at LB. I don't know what QBs might become available in FA next winter, but it's a pretty good bet the Jets might be looking for one of those, too. Having $8M/year tied up in a disposable position would not be a good position to be in.

Wow. Amazing that the Jaguars haven't sniffed the playoffs since his second year with all that talent. Or that they haven't broken .500 since he was handed the full load.

What sort of pick haul do you think it would take to land MJD? Then you have to throw in a Ray Rice-like $8M/year contract. That won't win the Jets a Super Bowl, that will just guarantee that they won't be getting there anytime soon.

no one ever said MJD was a one man team so dont exaggerate. I said he would open things up for the offense

no one ever said MJD was a one man team so dont exaggerate. I said he would open things up for the offense

WAAAAAAAY too expensive for a guy who might "open up the offense." For what he'd cost, he'd need to be a one man team.

There's no good argument for trading picks and then spending $8M/year on a 27 year old RB with a lot of miles on him. Is MJD winning you a Super Bowl? If the answer is no (and it is), you pass on the player.

Those picks and that cash could be used to fill multiple positions next year. Needs on the OL, and at LB. I don't know what QBs might become available in FA next winter, but it's a pretty good bet the Jets might be looking for one of those, too. Having $8M/year tied up in a disposable position would not be a good position to be in.

8 million bucks isn't going to fix an OL, LB and QB spot. You do what you can to win now. You don't pinch pennies in hopes for the future. MJD instantly makes us a more consistent offense that plays opposite a top 3 defense. That can win.

The Jests offense is simply NOT good enough to make Jones-Drew a good investment. Yes, he would be significantly better than Greene, but that's NOT going to solve the problem of an OL that's mediocre on its best days. Having MJD is NOT going make improving the WR corps unnecessary. MJD is NOT going to enable Mark Sanchez to read defenses, make better decisions, get rid the ball faster, and abandon his reliance on his check-down receivers. All Jones-Drew will do is give Jets fans a false sense of hope. Defenses will simply put 8 in the box to stop MJD and Sanchez's check-downs, and the Jets will be barely better offensively than they would have been without him -- and poorer in terms of cap space and draft picks.

IMO, MJD is probably NOT a good investment for most NFL teams, but for a team with the offensive problems that the Jets have, he'd be almost as bad an investment as Tebow.

well **** him . why should he bother even playing football.

Guess if the Rams with Faulk the Niners with Craig and the Redskins with Riggins should have just went forward with the crap they had whats the point trying to upgrade your team with proven offensive threats. We can continue drafting RB's in the thrid 4th 5th and 6 th rounds because that model has been so usefull to the Jets they have not drafted a viable running back since Freeman McNeil. Also curtis martin didnt do much for the Jets either when he was added to the roster.

What's our team's strength? We can't run or throw. We couldn't last year and we won't be able to this year. Kerley be open underneath if the linebackers and safeties don't fear a sufficient run game. That's the whole idea of a ground and pound system.

If a LB can cover Kerley then he sucks. Really its more to open up the TE against a LB. Kerley should get open on his own in that situation. I would like to see more of Powell with the first team offense. He has looked the best of all the RB's, imho. RB's can be found in the later rounds of drafts and off the scrap heap. It's a huge mistake to overpay for one in free agency or trade.

For as good as the Jets D is, this isnt a win now team anymore. They need to aquire picks and have any offense heavy draft next year.

The defense isn't getting any younger. In a few years we'll need to rebuild the entire linebacking core and our safeties. Every team should be a win now team if they have the tools to get it done. We're a team that relies on defense and a strong run game. We have the defense and MJD gives us the run game. How you guys are opposed to this is beyond me.

From Cimini:

I can tell you this: The Jets have zero interest in trading for Jones-Drew.

Sure, he'd raise the Jets' fantasy-football profile (MJD himself is an avid fantasy player), but the trade would make no sense on several levels. They have needs more pressing than running back. They couldn't squeeze another long-term contract under the cap. He's 27 years old, meaning he's probably a year or two away from the start of his decline. And, lastly, the Jets really like Shonn Greene.

So for all those dreaming of MJD in green, it's just fantasy football.

I'm happy to not be on the side of this idiot.

8 million bucks isn't going to fix an OL, LB and QB spot. You do what you can to win now. You don't pinch pennies in hopes for the future. MJD instantly makes us a more consistent offense that plays opposite a top 3 defense. That can win.

$8M plus the draft picks it would take to land him could instead net the team 3 or 4 good to very good players. That would be a much better investment than a high mileage 27 year old back.

The defense isn't getting any younger. In a few years we'll need to rebuild the entire linebacking core and our safeties. Every team should be a win now team if they have the tools to get it done. We're a team that relies on defense and a strong run game. We have the defense and MJD gives us the run game. How you guys are opposed to this is beyond me.

The Jets need to rebuild the LB corps next year, and will either be handing Landry a larger, longer term deal, or looking to fill that hole, too. Either way, both positions will require resources next off season.

$8M plus the draft picks it would take to land him could instead net the team 3 or 4 good to very good players. That would be a much better investment than a high mileage 27 year old back.

Greene, a 2 and a 6 probably is the best offer Jax will see. So, we lose out on $8M to land a guy that lead the league in rushing behind Blaine Gabbert and a sh*t offensive line, and 2 picks that may turn out to be good. I'd rather spend the money.

the core of the Jets D is the defensive line going forward, all of whom are young.

Greene, a 2 and a 6 probably is the best offer Jax will see. So, we lose out on $8M to land a guy that lead the league in rushing behind Blaine Gabbert and a sh*t offensive line, and 2 picks that may turn out to be good. I'd rather spend the money.

Cimini's right and you're wrong.

Harris is still young, Davis looks good, and so does Maybin. Perhaps we could use a OLB. Our DL is pretty sick and could allow us to play a ton of 4-3, inwhich case all the Jets would need to do is add one LB to Harris and Davis. Landry is still young if he can stay healthy. Wilson has outplayed Cro so far this pre season imho. Perhaps you could add a veteran corner for the slot. The defense is pretty set for the next 3 years atleast. Not saying ignore it - but you could certainly only focus on offense this offseason and stil be a top defense next year. Coples, Ellis and Wilkerson look to be a very formidable front on defense so the Jets may want to play more 4-3 and let those guys get after the QB anyway.

The Jets need to rebuild the LB corps next year, and will either be handing Landry a larger, longer term deal, or looking to fill that hole, too. Either way, both positions will require resources next off season.

In a sense, yeah. They seem happy with Demario Davis and Antonio Allen. So we (hopefully) have a little bit of young depth at those positions. I'm confident enough in saying that saving money that could be spent on MJD to hopefully rebuild LBs and safeties doesn't give us a better chance of winning than signing MJD does.

Harris is still young, Davis looks good, and so does Maybin. Perhaps we could use a OLB. Our DL is pretty sick and could allow us to play a ton of 4-3, inwhich case all the Jets would need to do is add one LB to Harris and Davis. Landry is still young if he can stay healthy. Wilson has outplayed Cro so far this pre season imho. Perhaps you could add a veteran corner for the slot. The defense is pretty set for the next 3 years atleast. Not saying ignore it - but you could certainly only focus on offense this offseason and stil be a top defense next year. Coples, Ellis and Wilkerson look to be a very formidable front on defense so the Jets may want to play more 4-3 and let those guys get after the QB anyway.

I think I agree with this. So then the question becomes is it more reasonable to spend your money on draft picks that may turn out to be decent, or to spend it on the league's leading rusher? It seems really simple to me.

Archived