Who Loves Mark Sanchez?

slats

Who Loves Mark Sanchez?   

81 members have voted

1. 1. My opinion of Mark Sanchez is....

• He's a very good QB or better who's been hamstrung by Schottenheimer and Tannenbaum's ineptitude
    • He generally sucks, but I still haven't given up on him. He does start for the team I root for and stuff.
    • Maybe he'll get it in his 30's like Gannon or Plunkett, but he'll never be a good QB on the Jets.
    • He was born sucking and he'll suck until the day he dies.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

has a QB with a 56% lifetime completion % (ie Saanchez) ever won a SB?

Actully yes a bunch have including Joe Namath who was one of the first QB's to really open it up and throw on a regular basis besides Unitas . But that was a different time now RB's are a big part of offensive schemes as is the short passing game and multiple receiving packages that will raise QB's percentage. Sanchez runs an out dated offense because our Defensive coach wants it that way and the talent around him basicly stinks.

Johnny Unitas Lifetime Comp percentage 54 %

Bart Starr 57 %

Joe Namath 50.1

BobGreise 57.0

Terry Bradshaw 51.9

Ken Stabler 59.8

Roger Staubach 57.0

Jim Plunkett 52.0

Joe Theisman 57.0

and heres where it all changed when QB's started using a short more efficient passing game and utilized their backs more in the west coast offense which most teams adopted a form of. Even though the west coast started catching on in the NFL Plunkett and Theisman still won SB's with what today would be considered sub standard percentages. Teams still ran the ball more in the 80's and the early 90's then came the run and shoot and hurry up offenses.

Joe Montana 63.0

He is as good as he'll get for the Jets. Sanchex loses confidence easily and goes down when the wind blows, that's not physical, its a broken pysche. Its possible he would play better for a different coach but it would likley be short-lived if he did. I just dont see it, he has a bit of Jamarcus Russell in him, after collecting the paycheck, football became less important

... sanchez is a young and improving qb ...

... whether sparano s*cks or not is yet to be seen ... but he is replacing a very bad gameday OC ...

... mikey t is one of the best gm's in the game ...

... a 5-10% improvement in completion % and TD-Turnover ratio will clearly exhibit mark taking the steps forward he needs to ... for the record i believe he'll do even better than that ...

... thank the lord he had a new RT ...

l_j_r

He is as good as he'll get for the Jets. Sanchex loses confidence easily and goes down when the wind blows, that's not physical, its a broken pysche. Its possible he would play better for a different coach but it would likley be short-lived if he did. I just dont see it, he has a bit of Jamarcus Russell in him, after collecting the paycheck, football became less important

Wow...this seems a little harsh. I don't think Mark would be coordinating Jets West at his own expense (even after the extension) if football wasn't important to him.

To put completion percentage into perspective

Mark Sanchez was 308 of 543 last year for 56 %

If he completes 2 more passes a game his percentage goes up to 62

If he completes 3 more passes per game his percentage goes up to 65

Last year Mark Sanchez completed 89 Passes to his RB's Drew Brees completed over 150. Not trying to compare the 2 QB's but it makes sense Brees will have a high completion percentage. Brees also throws a lot more on first down dumping to his backs or running screens something the Jets have not done a lot of in recent years.

The reason most QB's in todays NFL have High completion percentages is because they use a short passing game to open up the deep passing game. Brees, Rodgers, Manning ALL do it and they all start their games passing and getting into a rhythm. Not one of them open up the game bombing away nobody does, unless theres a broken coverage or they see something available early.

Sanchez and the Jets on the other hand try to utilize the running game more early in games putting themselves in a lot of 3rd and long situations before getting their QB warmed up and in rhythm with his WR's . We all complained a lot about the run run pass bullsh*t and I think putting a QB into those situations early hurts his accuracy 3rd and 10 before throwing your first pass is no fun for a QB . I think if we see some change in the way our offense is designed and called and also the way the first drive is scripted will make it much easier for Sanchez to get on a roll. Dumping short passes to RB's early in the game can also keep pass rushers at bay rather than getting into 3rd and long situations and allowing them to just tee off.

Hopefully we will see wholesale changes the way our offense is run this year that will have a positive effect on our QB . Not having a solid pass receiving back or numerous ones like some teams have will hurt but this has been a weak area for the Jets for a while so we should not expect much help for the QB in that respect. Anyhow with some changes in how we run our offense I think we will see Sanchez go up over the 60% mark this year. If our Receivers can stay healthy

Yeah RBs are a huge part of today's offenses.

The only reason Groundz and Poundz is a thing here is because Sanchez has been so untrustworthy.

I disagree. Rex wanted ground and pound before he ever saw Sanchez play a game.

It's not that Rex doesn't trust Sanchez per se. It's that Rex, as someone with the surname Ryan, doesn't trust offense period. Rex's whole team philosophy is that the defense will prevent the other team from scoring and he just needs his offense not to screw things up. Thus, ground and pound. The thought process is that the ground game is safe and less likely to make mistakes that put the defense in a bad position.

It's not that Rex doesn't trust Sanchez per se. It's that Rex, as someone with the surname Ryan, doesn't trust offense period. Rex's whole team philosophy is that the defense will prevent the other team from scoring and he just needs his offense not to screw things up. Thus, ground and pound. The thought process is that the ground game is safe and less likely to make mistakes that put the defense in a bad position.

I agree... Ryan would have wanted Ground and Pound no matter who we drafted. Sanchez was actully a pretty damn good passer in college with a 65 % completion percentage and the ability to scramble Phil Simms once made the comment that Mark Sanchez had the best footwork of any QB in the NFL . Once Sanchez starts protecting the football better and cuts down on mistakes he will be just fine

I agree... Ryan would have wanted Ground and Pound no matter who we drafted. Sanchez was actully a pretty damn good passer in college with a 65 % completion percentage and the ability to scramble Phil Simms once made the comment that Mark Sanchez had the best footwork of any QB in the NFL . Once Sanchez starts protecting the football better and cuts down on mistakes he will be just fine

He started 16 games in college and most of them were over before the teams took the field. Lots of college players have nice things said about them and wind up not being any good.

And Tim Tebow is the most efficient passer in SEC history who had a career completion percentage of 66%.

He started 16 games in college and most of them were over before the teams took the field. Lots of college players have nice things said about them and wind up not being any good.

agreed. But no matter how you slice it talent rules and the Jets are at the bottom of the barrel talent wise. Some Offenses in the NFL are damn near unstoppable just like some of the college teams... seems to be the trend these days. The Saints and Packers were damn near as close to unstappable as you can get The Niners just out scored the Saints which was a shock and the Giants put enough pressure on Rodgers to pull off that victory.

And Tim Tebow is the most efficient passer in SEC history who had a career completion percentage of 66%.

I think Florida and USC are two different worlds. If some NFL defnses had issues stopping the duel threat of Tebow had to be much worse for college defenses

agreed. But no matter how you slice it talent rules and the Jets are at the bottom of the barrel talent wise. Some Offenses in the NFL are damn near unstoppable just like some of the college teams... seems to be the trend these days. The Saints and Packers were damn near as close to unstappable as you can get The Niners just out scored the Saints which was a shock and the Giants put enough pressure on Rodgers to pull off that victory.

Put Mark Sanchez behind the Green Bay offensive line and he would be awful. You put him in New Orleans and they stop putting up those numbers. He's just not good at playing quarterback. If the qb blows the rest of the offense sinks.

Unfortunately that hasn't translated to the NFL because being 46% last year and 37% this preseason is atrocious. If Tebow was 60% as a pro he'd be starting for an NFL team right now.

He would if he had a QB.

Yes, Rex as a defensive coach wants his offensive team to eat up clock, put up just enoug points, and stay out of the way of his defense. He'd also love it if his offense put points on the board consistently. Right now ground and pound is how Rex survives, but Rex ain't just tryin' to survive. He's tryin' to live it to the limit an' love it alot.

This is spot on!!!!

Put Mark Sanchez behind the Green Bay offensive line and he would be awful. You put him in New Orleans and they stop putting up those numbers. He's just not good at playing quarterback. If the qb blows the rest of the offense sinks.

you put sanchez in new orleans and I think he does very well. Will he do what Brees does ?? No... but Brees has been in that offense under Payton for what 6 years now ? New Orleans not oly has 4 Solid WR's but hes got one of the best TE's in the NFL and 4 RB's who can ALL contirbute both running and catching the football. The Jets are not remotely close to that type Talent and Sanchez is certainly not going to throw them into greatness nor would Drew Brees

Look how well they handled the Reggie Bush situation they were aware they were going to be losing production in the passing game without Bush so they sign Darren Sproles and he gets 90 Catches. You see the Jets making moves like that ?

The Jets solution Last year was to DumpEdwards and Cotch and replace them with Plax and Mason It was laughable then and its laughable now. At least this year They made some attempt to up the talent on offense by Drafting Hill.

I think Florida and USC are two different worlds. If some NFL defnses had issues stopping the duel threat of Tebow had to be much worse for college defenses

They are 2 different worlds. 1 is twice as challenging as the other. The SEC is the best conference in college and known for its defense that is stacked with NFL caliber talent. USC plays in a cream puff conference where defense is optional and they are so much better than everyone else there rarely is even a need to play the games.

Unfortunately that hasn't translated to the NFL because being 46% last year and 37% this preseason is atrocious. If Tebow was 60% as a pro he'd be starting for an NFL team right now.

Yeah, no sh*t. That was my point. Doofus.

you put sanchez in new orleans and I think he does very well.

And you're basing this on what, exactly? That late-round picks, UDFA's, and cheap FA signings have found success in that offense?

I can make the same baseless argument that with the Jets current OL, backs, and receivers, Drew Brees would have this team in the Super Bowl.

And you're basing this on what, exactly? That late-round picks, UDFA's, and cheap FA signings have found success in that offense?

I can make the same baseless argument that with the Jets current OL, backs, and receivers, Drew Brees would have this team in the Super Bowl.

JH I dont give a sh*t how New Orleans got the talent the fact is they have it and its leaps and bounds ahead of ours. Could say a lot about how certain organizations evaluate talent. The Steelers certainly do a great job on both sides of the ball as do the Giants where do you put the Jets in this equasion ?

JH I dont give a sh*t how New Orleans got the talent the fact is they have it and its leaps and bounds ahead of ours.

No its not.

The Saints have always had line built with some Late-rounders and UDFA's and just lost Carl Nicks. They have a RBBC approach with their best back (Sproles) being a guy who couldn't hope to earn a feature back role anywhere due to his size. Their best receiver (Colston) was a former 7th rounder who is, admittedly, pretty solid but not elite, and the rest of their guys, including Lance Moore and Devery Henderson, range from slightly above average to JAG.

Their only transcendant weapon on offense is Jimmy Graham. And the Saints have won a Super Bowl without him.

I echo JohnnyHector's point. Drew Brees is what makes that offense tick, and if he was the QB here, he'd make do just fine. Is New Orleans' talent on offense better than ours? Probably. But its not "leaps and bounds" better.

Brees is the most accurate QB in the NFL, probably the most poised in the pocket, and perhaps the most cerebral behind Peyton Manning. Mark Sanchez is near the bottom of the league in all three of those categories, by any metric and any analysts' eye test, and none of it would change if he had Calvin Johnson. His numbers would look better but he still wouldn't be anything but a QB that is well below average.

Isn't it curious that despite changes in personnel, the Saints have always been good under Brees? Whereas for Sanchez, when the talent level dips just a little, we suddenly go from winning playoff games to .500? Does that make sense in any universe where the correct statement is that Sanchez is a good QB with bad weapons, while Brees is a very good QB with immaculate weapons?

JH I dont give a sh*t how New Orleans got the talent the fact is they have it and its leaps and bounds ahead of ours. Could say a lot about how certain organizations evaluate talent. The Steelers certainly do a great job on both sides of the ball as do the Giants where do you put the Jets in this equasion ?

double ChanceOfWinningSB;

char Your_QB;

int main () {

if Your_QB == "Sanchez" {

ChanceOfWinningSB = 0;

}

}

Bump.

Sanchez 1, Haters 0.

By the way, how'd Cam Newton do today? He win the game by himself? How many points did he put up?

No way in hell did you just insinuate Sanchez is better than Newton. Listen Sanchez played good tonight, but he is still not better than Newton.

Your post should win the hater of the year award.

No way in hell did you just insinuate Sanchez is better than Newton. Listen Sanchez played good tonight, but he is still not better than Newton.

Your post should win the hater of the year award.

Newton is a better athlete.

He is not a better QB ... at least not at this point.

Sanchez is a winner.

I don't hate Newton. I just get tired of fair weather Jets fans wanting the "flavor of the month" QB when ours, who had to run for his life all of last year, doesn't play like Aaron Rodgers (Read the entire thread for some background).

Newton is a better athlete.

He is not a better QB ... at least not at this point.

Sanchez is a winner.

I don't hate Newton. I just get tired of fair weather Jets fans wanting the "flavor of the month" QB when ours, who had to run for his life all of last year, doesn't play like Aaron Rodgers.

Your basing all of this off of one game. This is coming off as hating cause if you were to ask anybody who isn't a Jets fan on which qb they would rather have, Newton or Sanchez, the answer would be Newton. Now let's look at statistics, Cam Newton in his rookie year had a completion rate of 60%. Sanchez in 2011 had a completion rate of 56.7%. This is hating. Sanchez played good tonight, but don't get ahead of yourself now. Cam Newton is the better qb, and until Sanchez proves otherwise no claim can be made.

Archived