Maddenoliday

gangreenman

Played a little last night.... Started a franchise mode as a coach. The thing I was most surprised about was how revamped and detailed the franchise mode seems to be. You start with all 70-something players on the roster. You have to cut them each week until you are down to 53 by the time the season starts. All the while, you have to progress your players by doing drills/practices, you are notified of players put on the trade block that you may be interested. They also brought back the "newspaper" thing they featured in '05... And they even have a twitter feed of all the NFL experts w/ their commentary of whats going on in the league.

For all the improvements in gameplay and presentation, which were detailed and outlined in every review.... I wasn't expecting Career/Franchise mode to be this revamped as well.

Very impressive game so far.

Played a little last night.... Started a franchise mode as a coach. The thing I was most surprised about was how revamped and detailed the franchise mode seems to be. You start with all 70-something players on the roster. You have to cut them each week until you are down to 53 by the time the season starts. All the while, you have to progress your players by doing drills/practices, you are notified of players put on the trade block that you may be interested. They also brought back the "newspaper" thing they featured in '05... And they even have a twitter feed of all the NFL experts w/ their commentary of whats going on in the league.

For all the improvements in gameplay and presentation, which were detailed and outlined in every review.... I wasn't expecting Career/Franchise mode to be this revamped as well.

Very impressive game so far.

Agreed, although the only downside I'd say is that you kind of just have to figure all of this crap out yourself, since like you said, it's completely revamped but there's little info out there as far as what's exactly going on. Like, for example, when doing practices and gaining experience points, I just accidentally stumbled across the fact that apparently the head coach earns points that can be used on them as well. Who knew?

The funny thing is at first the gameplay didn't seem all that different, but there's definitely some subtleties you have to get used to. The first game I played everything seemed mostly the same, but as I started to do different things and a wider variety of play calls, you definitely start to notice the differences in the passing game. Like one particular instance where I had a WR wide open but then proceeded to find myself throwing the ball straight to a defender. Now granted, part of that was probably due to it being a preseason game and Tebow being in at that point with his garbage accuracy, but there's definitely a lot more going on with ball placement, which really is cool once you get the hang of it.

On a side note, am I the only one thinks that gameflow thing is the dumbest thing Madden has ever done? At least last year you could just turn it off in the main settings and never worry about it again (I had actually forgotten all about it), but it seems like this year you have to turn it off in each separate thing you do, which is just annoying.

Agreed, although the only downside I'd say is that you kind of just have to figure all of this crap out yourself, since like you said, it's completely revamped but there's little info out there as far as what's exactly going on. Like, for example, when doing practices and gaining experience points, I just accidentally stumbled across the fact that apparently the head coach earns points that can be used on them as well. Who knew?

The funny thing is at first the gameplay didn't seem all that different, but there's definitely some subtleties you have to get used to. The first game I played everything seemed mostly the same, but as I started to do different things and a wider variety of play calls, you definitely start to notice the differences in the passing game. Like one particular instance where I had a WR wide open but then proceeded to find myself throwing the ball straight to a defender. Now granted, part of that was probably due to it being a preseason game and Tebow being in at that point with his garbage accuracy, but there's definitely a lot more going on with ball placement, which really is cool once you get the hang of it.

On a side note, am I the only one thinks that gameflow thing is the dumbest thing Madden has ever done? At least last year you could just turn it off in the main settings and never worry about it again (I had actually forgotten all about it), but it seems like this year you have to turn it off in each separate thing you do, which is just annoying.

****ing hate gameflow

Didn't 94 have that glitch where if you kicked a field goals that went out over the sideline, you still got the three points, no matter where you were on the field?

not on my copy but there is a glitch on mine where if you do an audible and it's a complete pass the game goes crazy and you have to reboot.

I think he meant "EA" has sucked for 10 years, which may have been an exaggeration. Madden has sucked since McNabb was on the cover. Guess what year....without google lol.

05 because i own it on the Nintendo Gaycube lol

pretty sure it was 05 I also own 07 which has a Raven (Lewis probably)

Then it must have been 93 or 92 - it was one of those Sega Genesis versions had it.

OHHH okay nevermind I have a Super Nintendo

my Sega broke years ago but I've still got all the important games (the Sonic's, NBA Jam tourny edition, Mrs Pacman etc.)

OHHH okay nevermind I have a Super Nintendo

my Sega broke years ago but I've still got all the important games (the Sonic's, NBA Jam tourny edition, Mrs Pacman etc.)

Some company brought out a new version of the Sega a couple of years ago - has a load of original games built in (Golden Axe, Streets of Rage etc), but you can also plug in the old cartridges as well to play those games.

I keep meaning to buy a couple more joypads - 4 way MegaBomberman is the greatest multiplayer game ever.

So finally got around to working on my Franchise for a few hours today... I want to re-emphasize that this years game is almost too realistic to the point where it gets more annoying then fun. You can trade for or trade away future draft picks (for the upcoming draft, and the next year's). Teams will NOT trade away anyone 24 or younger that is 80 or better without forcing you to give up a king's ransom. You have to continuously scout prospects throughout the season in order to unlock their grades... (Scouting actually means something - and something you have to do on a week-to-week basis throughout the season). In order for players to progress, they have to gain experience points, which can only be done if they are on the field consistently enough. This makes it difficult to develop young guys and make backups better. Also, you have to choose where to use those experience points earned by each player (improve toughness, carrying, route-running, blocking, etc)...

If you're looking for a realistic franchise mode that you are willing to spend hours playing, then this is THE game for you. If you just want to play the games and skip the other administrative BS... Stick with superstar mode, or playing online games.

This game is extremely unrealistic. Someone just put up almost 70 points on my Jets defense. Revis got burned deep every down by Randy Moss. This game is a joke.

I was referring more to the Franchise Mode than the gameplay itself. In the gameplay itself, playing good defense against a human that has mastered the whole touch thing on passes is just about impossible.

This game is extremely unrealistic. Someone just put up almost 70 points on my Jets defense. Revis got burned deep every down by Randy Moss. This game is a joke.

Revis gets burned by EVERY receiver, and in my franchise cro has 8 picks... Not to mention teams seem to rush for under 40 yards against my D per game but somehow throw over 500?

On the offensive side though, Hill frequently burns every corner on go routes, he averages 200 ypg, yet I can't seem to get Greene rushing anywhere other than directly behind Mangold.

I was referring more to the Franchise Mode than the gameplay itself. In the gameplay itself, playing good defense against a human that has mastered the whole touch thing on passes is just about impossible.

I'm loving connected careers though, it's a good change and with some extra development madden will finally have a strong point to work with, regular franchise was becoming a tad stale.

I'm loving connected careers though, it's a good change and with some extra development madden will finally have a strong point to work with, regular franchise was becoming a tad stale.

Archived