Game Recap

gangreenman

Just spent my Sunday night watching an entire Jets preseason game. So here goes my thoughts.

POSITIVES

1. Austin Howard - Certainly not a finished product, but far from the turnstile that is Wayne Hunter. Definitely the better option as of right now. Went up against their best pass rushers the entire 1st half and held his own, albeit with some help from RB's and TE's on some plays... Having said that, I still do hope Tanny plucks a guy or two off waivers, cause I don't trust Hunter one bit playing OT.

2. Quinton Coples - Guy can flat out rush the passer. Was up against a good OL and a good QB tonight, and still got in the backfield and delivered some hits.

3. Kenrick Ellis - Dude was everywhere doing everything out there tonight. That DL looks like its going to be a force to be reckoned with for years to come. And I am giddy about it.

4. LaRon Landry - Wow. Talk about having a nose for the ball. Hard hitter, good instincts...Definitely an upgrade over Eric Smith

5. Mark Sanchez - Thought he played really well tonight. Was on target with all of his throws, no real questionable decisions that I can remember. Showed nice pocket presence, stepping up in the pocket a few times, pulling it down and running sometimes as well. He didn't score a TD, which is concerning, but to be fair the one he threw over the middle to Hill should have been a catch.

SO-SO

1. Aaron Maybin - Got into the backfield a couple of times...But whiffed on a few should-be sacks. Newton is nifty and he did force him to scramble and rush a few times...But if he's going to be an 8-10 sack guy for us this year, he needs to finish those plays.

2. Stephen Hill - This was the most he was targeted all preseason. Amazing how even a little game planning and preparation can work wonders in that sense. Got decent separation on a few plays. Made some nice back shoulder grabs and such. Also had a few terrible drops, one costing a TD, and another leading to an INT. So I think a "so-so" is appropriate here.

3. Shonn Greene - A few good runs going north-south when he got a hole and was able to generate momentum. Still doesn't have the initial burst to get to the outside on off-tackle plays. D easily set the edge on a few plays where he had to try and cut it back.

4. Bart Scott - Seems like much of the same. Great against the run, physical, knows where to be... Liability against the pass, shows little range in a zone and too slow to cover anyone out of the backfield.

NEGATIVES

1. Wayne Hunter - What else needs to be said?

2. Kyle Wilson - Blew his coverage a few times in the first half for relatively big gains.

3. Bryan Thomas - Easily pushed back against the run, no pass rush to speak of... Guy was invisible out there.

WHERE WERE THEY?

1. Mo Wilkerson

2. Mike DeVito

3. Eric Smith

OTHER OBSERVATIONS...

1 - Our redzone offense was troubling, to say the least. Not sure if thats a fault of execution, lack of preparation/game planning, or a specific player... Definitely the one area that I came away from this game concerned about. Although to be fair, we were without Keller and Cumberland, and never really got it there too much in our first two games... Still something that obviously needs to be improved on in the next 2 weeks.

2 - We still seem to have a hard time covering TE's. Olson and his backup both gashed us on a couple of catches at times... Then again, who doesn't have a hard time. Look at Keller for examples, TE's that can catch have definitely caught on as a tough thing to defend against.

3 - I liked how Sparano called his first semi-scouted/prepared/gameplanned game. Play action deep passes on first downs 3 times in the first two drives. Let the pass set up the run to a degree... GIves Sanchez more time to throw (less pressure coming on 1st down as opposed to 3rd and long)... Also gives Buffalo something to think about when they throw in the tape.

4- You can tell Rex is back over the controls of the defense. Saw a lot more of the mixed formations, sub-packages, and blitz schemes that he was so well-known for in his first two years here as opposed to last season.

5- Man, Im ready to get the season started in 2 weeks. Real excited about this D...And after tonights game, am confident the offense will be able to hold its own, at least to some degree.

GO JETS

Edited by gangreenman

Just spent my Sunday night watching an entire Jets preseason game. So here goes my thoughts.

POSITIVES

1. Austin Howard - Certainly not a finished product, but far from the turnstile that is Wayne Hunter. Definitely the better option as of right now. Went up against their best pass rushers the entire 1st half and held his own, albeit with some help from RB's and TE's on some plays... Having said that, I still do hope Tanny plucks a guy or two off waivers, cause I don't trust Hunter one bit playing OT.

He was better than Wayne Hunter, for sure. I'm not just saying that because Wayne Hunter is the hater-ade target of the month, no, I was really impressed with him at times.

2. Quinton Coples - Guy can flat out rush the passer. Was up against a good OL and a good QB tonight, and still got in the backfield and delivered some hits.

I honestly didn't see him that much, but I didn't have 100% attention on the game at all times.. good to hear.

3. Kenrick Ellis - Dude was everywhere doing everything out there tonight. That DL looks like its going to be a force to be reckoned with for years to come. And I am giddy about it.

BY FAR, and I mean BY FAR the most impressive performance of any player tonight. Completely stunned that he looked this good. Almost every amazing play in the backfield, I looked closer and I was like, "who did that?" and almost every time it was Ellis. I don't think you can say enough about this game for him, he was incredible.

4. LaRon Landry - Wow. Talk about having a nose for the ball. Hard hitter, good instincts...Definitely an upgrade over Eric Smith

I love this guy already and he hasn't even played a regular season game. Damn he's fun to watch!

5. Mark Sanchez - Thought he played really well tonight. Was on target with all of his throws, no real questionable decisions that I can remember. Showed nice pocket presence, stepping up in the pocket a few times, pulling it down and running sometimes as well. He didn't score a TD, which is concerning, but to be fair the one he threw over the middle to Hill should have been a catch.

Agreed, easily his best performance of the pre-season (not saying much), but he looked sooo much better tonight. Pocket presence, awareness, release, accuracy, threw a few long passes... great game Mark. Also, deserved a better fate, as the pick wasn't really his fault.

1. Aaron Maybin - Got into the backfield a couple of times...But whiffed on a few should-be sacks. Newton is nifty and he did force him to scramble and rush a few times...But if he's going to be an 8-10 sack guy for us this year, he needs to finish those plays.

I can't fault him for not chasing down Cam Newton, though it would have been nice. That one play where he came flying into the backfield, almost getting himself a safety, that was great. 9 times out of 10, that play is a sack.. because 9 times out of 10 you're not dealing with a guy like Newton back there. At this point he's just a situational rusher.. and I'm fine with that. He's good at that.

2. Stephen Hill - This was the most he was targeted all preseason. Amazing how even a little game planning and preparation can work wonders in that sense. Got decent separation on a few plays. Made some nice back shoulder grabs and such. Also had a few terrible drops, one costing a TD, and another leading to an INT. So I think a "so-so" is appropriate here.

One thing I gathered from this game is that he has 100% of the talent, athletic ability and physical composition to be a dominant WR in this league, which ought to be very comforting to us all.

Unfortunately, his skills are equally raw. It also looked like he failed to hustle on a few plays, bad, bad, bad!

3. Shonn Greene - A few good runs going north-south when he got a hole and was able to generate momentum. Still doesn't have the initial burst to get to the outside on off-tackle plays. D easily set the edge on a few plays where he had to try and cut it back.

Pretty much the same guy he's always been.

1. Wayne Hunter - What else needs to be said?

2. Kyle Wilson - Blew his coverage a few times in the first half for relatively big gains.

Agree on both

2. Mike DeVito

DeVito has a calf injury, thus didn't play.

He was better than Wayne Hunter, for sure. I'm not just saying that because Wayne Hunter is the hater-ade target of the month, no, I was really impressed with him at times.

Absolutely. Its only one game against a mediocre defense where they played it pretty vanilla and straight up...Not to many stunts or blitzers to pick up and adjust to, but he did fine. Can he handle Mario Williams and the Bills LB's...That remains to be seen. I would still definitely prefer Tanny to pick up a veteran cut just to be safe here.

honestly didn't see him that much, but I didn't have 100% attention on the game at all times.. good to hear.

What I like most about Coples is how he was almost always in the backfield. His run support isn't great, and he has to work on diagnosing certain things, like draws and screens, but that will come with time. Its been a long time since the Jets had a true starter in their front 7 that could constantly get in the backfield...And Coples seems to be that guy.

BY FAR, and I mean BY FAR the most impressive performance of any player tonight. Completely stunned that he looked this good. Almost every amazing play in the backfield, I looked closer and I was like, "who did that?" and almost every time it was Ellis. I don't think you can say enough about this game for him, he was incredible.

Really liked what Ellis did. Really liked it. If he can continue to play like that, and we get Pouha and DeVito back for Buffalo. Yikes. Thats one powerful and versatile DLine.

I love this guy already and he hasn't even played a regular season game. Damn he's fun to watch!

Wasn't overly impressed with his cover skills. But he just seems like the type of guy that is always around the ball. Reminds me of a harder hitting Kerry Rhodes. If he can stay healthy, definitely addresses what was a huge need going into the offseason.

Agreed, easily his best performance of the pre-season (not saying much), but he looked sooo much better tonight. Pocket presence, awareness, release, accuracy, threw a few long passes... great game Mark. Also, deserved a better fate, as the pick wasn't really his fault.

I think its a matter of letting him go out there and be himself a little. Let him throw the ball downfield on 1st and 2nd down a few times early. Loosen up the D a little and hopefully get him into a rhythm. hard for any QB to consistently make plays in 3rd and long and other obvious passing situations.

I can't fault him for not chasing down Cam Newton, though it would have been nice. That one play where he came flying into the backfield, almost getting himself a safety, that was great. 9 times out of 10, that play is a sack.. because 9 times out of 10 you're not dealing with a guy like Newton back there. At this point he's just a situational rusher.. and I'm fine with that. He's good at that.

I like how he got into the backfield constantly when he was in there. That play he bounced around a little pre-snap and ran straight up the middle on a delated blitz. For someone with his speed, that should be a sack. The pressure is nice, but an elite pass rusher makes those sacks.

One thing I gathered from this game is that he has 100% of the talent, athletic ability and physical composition to be a dominant WR in this league, which ought to be very comforting to us all.

Unfortunately, his skills are equally raw. It also looked like he failed to hustle on a few plays, bad, bad, bad!

Pretty much spot on.