Jets to acquire Rams Jason Smith

bear

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can get the concept of the crap for crap trade given you eventually get to the point where you feel like the player becomes a detriment to your team, even as just a backup. But as a good number of you have pointed out, the significant increase in salary is a bit baffling. You'd hope maybe the deal was contingent on a new contract agreement, but I can't see any reason Smith would do that given his current amount was fully guaranteed.

The only guess I could make is the Jets see it as worthwhile as Hunter still has three years left on his deal, while Smith will be off the books, penalty-free, at the end of this year. We know the Jets future cap situation is a sh*t-show, so the only thing I can think is the idea is to give up some space this year in return for open space next year. But who the hell knows, it could also be that the trade really is as stupid as it seems.

My understanding was it voids if he plays less than that percentage of snaps. Is that not the case?

It's weird:

Mehta: Smith due $12M in 2013, but contract voids if he plays 31%or more of snaps in '12 & if he's on roster 5 days before start of '13 league yr

It's weird:

Mehta: Smith due $12M in 2013, but contract voids if he plays 31%or more of snaps in '12 & if he's on roster 5 days before start of '13 league yr

I don't know why you worry. Its not like Mr T ever had a trade for a QB voided because he misread a contract or anything.

Evan Silva@evansilva

Jason Smith trade is humorous. #Jets are gonna need to get a GM who knows something about football. No chance he's actually seen Smith play.

Evan Silva@evansilva

Both Hunter & Smith's salaries are guaranteed. $4M for Smith. $2.45M for Hunter. So #Rams save $1.55M in trade. Deal makes sense for STL.

Ugh.

Couldn't agree with either of these tweets more.

So, am I hearing correctly? If Smith plays 31% of snaps his contract ($12m in 2013) voids? Why would a big-money contract void if he meets playing time incentives?

Its common in the old rookie deals. Their goal is to get to free agency as fast as possible. Teams usually need the year for proration of bonuses and in some cases buy back that void in the option.

Wayne Hunter had no dead money either so that wasnt the reason for the trade. St Louis did it to save salary. I guess the Jets think Rex can salvage anyone so its worth the extra 1.5 million dollar gamble.

Mike Tannenbaum has never met a contract so bad he couldn't throw more bad money after it.

Wayne Hunter had no dead money either so that wasnt the reason for the trade. St Louis did it to save salary. I guess the Jets think Rex can salvage anyone so its worth the extra 1.5 million dollar gamble.

go figure. I can only imagine the Jets might've planned on outright cutting Hunter and then signing someone else, so they figure pulling this trade would net out to be about the same.... or something.

Archived