Silverman: Reid, Ryan, Turner Among NFL Coaches On Hot Seat

THE ILK

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/29/silverman-reid-ryan-turner-among-nfl-coaches-on-hot-seat/

Feet to the fire?

Uh oh!

Rex Ryan, N.Y. Jets – After making the playoffs his first two seasons at the helm of the Jets, Ryan saw his team as one of the favorites to get to the Super Bowl last year. They fell by the wayside and became a .500 team. It may not get much better this year with the combination of Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow at quarterback. The Jets don’t have a legitimate NFL passing game. They need to figure out another way to win. If they don’t, Ryan is going to face incredible pressure in late December and early January.

In a world where Norv Turner is still coaching how do Rex and Reid even merit discussion?

Both Reid and Ryan have been given resources and latitude and, despite some early success, neither has hit the jackpot and both teams have regressed. If either team continues to regress and move in the wrong direction, they absolutely deserve to have their feet held to the fire. In the case of Rex, I do not think this necessarily means getting sh*t-canned, but probably means a shorter leash and a finite window to achieve acceptable results. Norv? If he were a horse, he'd be taken out back and shot in a just world.

One bad year and hes already on the hot seat?? when he first sighned on the press said it would take a few years to even get a championship caliber team. Anyone who buys into this is a moron. NY media makes me ill...

And that one bad year, he was 8-8. Admittedly, he has some things he needs to work on, and so far he has shut up with the guarantees and seems to have handled the conflicts. I hope Woody views Rex like the Rooney's viewed Cowher; don't jump ship the second the boat rocks, just stay the course. As previously mentioned, with Norv Turner still coaching, teams would be lining up for Rex or and Reid.

Rex will throw Tanny under the bus to save his own axx.

Watch Woody go all in and name Rex GM/HC.

LOL I couldn't imagine what it would be like around here with Rex being the GM. I seriouslty wonder if he would be great or terrible at it. I fear terrible. The emotionally driven trades..... oooooooh the trades lol

LOL I couldn't imagine what it would be like around here with Rex being the GM. I seriouslty wonder if he would be great or terrible at it. I fear terrible. The emotionally driven trades..... oooooooh the trades lol

Usually, the complaint of a HC is that the GM did not provide enough talent.

Two AFC title games and no losing seasons with a sh*t QB? That's a helluva job. Only reason he'd be canned is for his part in DRAFTING said sh*t QB.

One bad year and hes already on the hot seat?? when he first sighned on the press said it would take a few years to even get a championship caliber team. Anyone who buys into this is a moron. NY media makes me ill...

Jim Caldwell got fired after one losing season, and I don't think any of his teams missed the playoffs. So did the entire Indy FO.

And that one bad year, he was 8-8. Admittedly, he has some things he needs to work on, and so far he has shut up with the guarantees and seems to have handled the conflicts. I hope Woody views Rex like the Rooney's viewed Cowher; don't jump ship the second the boat rocks, just stay the course. As previously mentioned, with Norv Turner still coaching, teams would be lining up for Rex or and Reid.

Reid, yes. Ryan, not as a HC. He'd have to go back to being a DC.

"Our draft was much worse than I thought....." - Rex Ryan

And so it begins.

That wasn't a real quote.

when I asked him how he knew rookie second-round receiver Stephen Hill was ready to contribute early, Ryan gave me a very honest, but curious answer.

"Well, nothing told me he would (contribute),'' Ryan said. "Nothing. When I saw the tape (of his collegiate play) I was concerned. But (Jets general manager) Mike Tannenbaum and (senior personnel executive) Terry Brady and all our scouts were adamant about this guy. They were adamant that this guy can do it. He can run all these routes, he had good hands and he's got 4.2 speed at 6-foot-5. He was the guy they all wanted, but honestly, when it came down to it, a wideout? Not my dream pick. But now that we have him, of course, I want to claim him: 'Oh, that was my pick.' But it really wasn't.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz259p6VxPZ

And so it begins.

In a world where Norv Turner is still coaching how do Rex and Reid even merit discussion?

Thank you. Now consider the talent at key positions that Norv has had at his disposal and it becomes a question for the ages.

Ryan wouldn't get fired if the Jets went 3-13 (which isn't happening anyway).

Woody likes his Jets in the headlines and win or lose Rex Ryan = headlines.

Agreed on Rex. I also think Woody would be petrified to have to go out and find a new GM. He still seems like a bit of an outsider in NFL circles and would likely have to appeal to Goodell to find him candidates to fill the job. He's going to have to hang on to the status quo until the stadium is empty.

Ryan wouldn't get fired if the Jets went 3-13 (which isn't happening anyway).

Woody likes his Jets in the headlines and win or lose Rex Ryan = headlines.

Not only that, but he's a good coach. I don't see any way the man is on the hot seat.

when I asked him how he knew rookie second-round receiver Stephen Hill was ready to contribute early, Ryan gave me a very honest, but curious answer.

"Well, nothing told me he would (contribute),'' Ryan said. "Nothing. When I saw the tape (of his collegiate play) I was concerned. But (Jets general manager) Mike Tannenbaum and (senior personnel executive) Terry Brady and all our scouts were adamant about this guy. They were adamant that this guy can do it. He can run all these routes, he had good hands and he's got 4.2 speed at 6-foot-5. He was the guy they all wanted, but honestly, when it came down to it, a wideout? Not my dream pick. But now that we have him, of course, I want to claim him: 'Oh, that was my pick.' But it really wasn't.''

http://sportsillustr....#ixzz259p6VxPZ

And so it begins.

And so what begins exactly?

Archived