Fair Stat Comparison

TTTTebowAndTheJets

So I've been lurking for awhile and have seen much of the debate on whether Tebow sucks or not. Let me start off my saying I'm a fan of Tim because I worked for the gators and knew him personally and wish him success. That being said, I do believe that at the current time Sanchez is the better QB and should be the unquestioned starter. I also believe that Tebow will contribute to the Jets success in his roll. I also believe that given the time Tebow can be a successful STARTING quarterback... Probably for some other team.

So I see a lot of stat comparisons and the most valid one is comparing Tebows first 16 starts with Sanchez's 16. But people throw out the validity of such a comparison because tebow wasn't starting day one his rookie year.... Valid point. Because of that I made the following comparison which is as much an apples to apples comparison as you can get and actually gives a huge benefit to mark.

I took the last 3 games tebow started his rookie season and compared that to Marks last 3 his rookie year. I also took the last 13 games Tebow played his second year and compared the to the last 13 starts of Sanchez's second year. Can't get more fair than that. Mark has the huge advantage here because he started 13 games before even looking at his stats, got an extra 5 games before looking at his second year, and had 2 offseasons as the unquestioned starter unlike Tebow.... Who had ZERO!

Here we go:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AhOfdlLL7bJcdGwzLWV0cUNmMHBfbDRpRmtHZE5ad3c

Here are the final results:

Tebow:

181/388 for 2754 yards 17 TDs 9 Ints

Completion% 47 TD/INT Ratio 1.89 Yds/att 7.098

Sanchez:

290/527 for 3358 yards 13 TDs 17 Ints

Completion% 55 TD/INT Ratio 0.76 Yds/att 6.372

So for all those saying Tebow "can't throw". In 139 less attempts he only threw 604 less yards. He threw for 4 more TDs than Sanchez and 8 LESS Interceptions. Almost a full Yard per attempt higher. The only stat that Sanchez is the clear winner in is Completion %. And NON of this takes into account the 885 Rushing yards and 9 Rushing TDs of Tebow compared to the 113 yards and 3 TDs of Mark.

And keep in mind... I'm not trying to make the argument that Tebow is better than Sanchez right now... that is not the case. Sanchez is and should be the starter and Tebow will perform well in his roll. These stats are merely to point out how absolutely ridiculous the arguments against Tebow are... He's a Full Back who can't throw, He'll NEVER be an NFL QB, Tebow sucks, and my favorite, he just doesn't pass the eye test (whatever the hell that is).

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm surprised by the lack of love for Mark. I'm as big a Tebow guy as there is... trust me. But I think Sanchez is a good QB who is dealing with a lot. I think he has a lot of potential and has all the physical attributes. He just has to get his mind straight and I think bringing Tebow in has lit a fire under his ass. I think he'll surprise this year. He's looked very solid so far this preseason. Its not his fault the offense has sputtered, I pin that more on the O-line play and lack of playmakers to throw to (though I love Hill and think he'll only get better and better and will be the #1 guy by seasons end).

Tebow will also help Sanchez and the Offense as a whole. You guys lost much of your redzone threat with plax gone and though Holmes is a decent receiver, he's kind of small and isn't the best redzone target. Not only does Tebow bring back what you guys have been missing since Brad left, he also brings the tough short yardage and goal line threat. Who's going to stop Tebow on 4th and 1 from the 1.... NO ONE!

If there's any issue its not going to be Tebow or Sanchez, its going to be a lack of a solid #1 back, poor O-Line play (though getting rid of Hunter was a step in the right direction) and not enough talent and/or depth outside the numbers. Its going to be a very interesting year and though I'm a Raven fan, I'll be watching the Jets closely. Who knows... I may actually become a fan :tongue:

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm surprised by the lack of love for Mark. I'm as big a Tebow guy as there is... trust me. But I think Sanchez is a good QB who is dealing with a lot. I think he has a lot of potential and has all the physical attributes. He just has to get his mind straight and I think bringing Tebow in has lit a fire under his ass. I think he'll surprise this year. He's looked very solid so far this preseason. Its not his fault the offense has sputtered, I pin that more on the O-line play and lack of playmakers to throw to (though I love Hill and think he'll only get better and better and will be the #1 guy by seasons end).

Tebow will also help Sanchez and the Offense as a whole. You guys lost much of your redzone threat with plax gone and though Holmes is a decent receiver, he's kind of small and isn't the best redzone target. Not only does Tebow bring back what you guys have been missing since Brad left, he also brings the tough short yardage and goal line threat. Who's going to stop Tebow on 4th and 1 from the 1.... NO ONE!

If there's any issue its not going to be Tebow or Sanchez, its going to be a lack of a solid #1 back, poor O-Line play (though getting rid of Hunter was a step in the right direction) and not enough talent and/or depth outside the numbers. Its going to be a very interesting year and though I'm a Raven fan, I'll be watching the Jets closely. Who knows... I may actually become a fan :tongue:

You lost me with the Sanchez is a good qb part.

So I've been lurking for awhile and have seen much of the debate on whether Tebow sucks or not. Let me start off my saying I'm a fan of Tim because I worked for the gators and knew him personally and wish him success. That being said, I do believe that at the current time Sanchez is the better QB and should be the unquestioned starter. I also believe that Tebow will contribute to the Jets success in his roll. I also believe that given the time Tebow can be a successful STARTING quarterback... Probably for some other team.

So I see a lot of stat comparisons and the most valid one is comparing Tebows first 16 starts with Sanchez's 16. But people throw out the validity of such a comparison because tebow wasn't starting day one his rookie year.... Valid point. Because of that I made the following comparison which is as much an apples to apples comparison as you can get and actually gives a huge benefit to mark.

I took the last 3 games tebow started his rookie season and compared that to Marks last 3 his rookie year. I also took the last 13 games Tebow played his second year and compared the to the last 13 starts of Sanchez's second year. Can't get more fair than that. Mark has the huge advantage here because he started 13 games before even looking at his stats, got an extra 5 games before looking at his second year, and had 2 offseasons as the unquestioned starter unlike Tebow.... Who had ZERO!

Here we go:

https://docs.google....bDRpRmtHZE5ad3c

Here are the final results:

Tebow:

181/388 for 2754 yards 17 TDs 9 Ints

Completion% 47 TD/INT Ratio 1.89 Yds/att 7.098

Sanchez:

290/527 for 3358 yards 13 TDs 17 Ints

Completion% 55 TD/INT Ratio 0.76 Yds/att 6.372

So for all those saying Tebow "can't throw". In 139 less attempts he only threw 604 less yards. He threw for 4 more TDs than Sanchez and 8 LESS Interceptions. Almost a full Yard per attempt higher. The only stat that Sanchez is the clear winner in is Completion %. And NON of this takes into account the 885 Rushing yards and 9 Rushing TDs of Tebow compared to the 113 yards and 3 TDs of Mark.

And keep in mind... I'm not trying to make the argument that Tebow is better than Sanchez right now... that is not the case. Sanchez is and should be the starter and Tebow will perform well in his roll. These stats are merely to point out how absolutely ridiculous the arguments against Tebow are... He's a Full Back who can't throw, He'll NEVER be an NFL QB, Tebow sucks, and my favorite, he just doesn't pass the eye test (whatever the hell that is).

My point of view is that for every time someone creates an account and put up things like this as their first quote (which has happened many times since the trade) it only further convinces me that Tebow isnt as good as all these people with "Tebow" in their handle keep suggesting.

You know its bad when we get more Tebow justification than Sanchez bashing, and there's ALOT of Sanchez bashing around these parts. Im just amazed of how many accounts are being created just to simply put these rather well thought out situations together. My thing is, it has to be in such a controlled (well thought out) environment for it to even work. When you simply think of sanchez and tebow you think of sanchez as a QB and Tebow as everything else but a QB. Nothing is going to change that until he's graduates from the wildcat packages, throwing mechanic tune ups and learning how to throw from under center.

plain and simple.

• 2 months later...

I miss this guy.

Villain The Foe

"Greg McElroy credentials/abilities: Scored 48 out of 50 on NFL Wonderlic, highest in NFL history."

Pat McInally, Bengals punter in the 70's scored a 50, the only known perfect score.

And Ryan Fitzpatrick scored a 48 as well.

The average football player scores a 20.

The average chemist scores a 31

BD

Archived