This is mini-draft weekend, right? It needs a thread.

I hope Tanny is zeroing in on all teams that have some depth at O-Line. Some team that is trying to hide an O-Line player in their P.S or wanting to re-sign a player they released down the line to their team. Hopefully we can find the Laurent Robinson of RT's in this mini-draft!

Edited by JetsFanInDenver

Teams gotta be drooling right this very minute at the prospect of picking up some of the supertalents that get squeezed out of making our roster. Somewhere, Jerry Reese and Howie Roseman are praying that they can scoop up a Bellore, or a Schlauderaff, or a Schilens. A surplus of talent like we got, baby. Blood in the water.

PHILADELPHIA — Mike Tannenbaum figures he won’t sleep tonight.

The Jets general manager will sit in an office with his lieutenants staring at a wall full of names, figuring out who should make up the bottom of the Jets roster. Hours after the Jets decide on the final cuts from their own team, Tannenbaum and Co. conduct what he calls a “mini-draft.”

“Our joke is we labor on Labor Day around here,” Tannenbaum said yesterday before the Jets lost 28-10 to the Eagles to finish their preseason with an 0-4 record.

The Jets have been preparing for this weekend for weeks. They dispatched their scouts after the first week of training camp to preseason games across the league. The scouting staff then compiled reports on players, blending what they have seen of them during regular-season, postseason and preseason NFL games and their reports from before those players were drafted. As of yesterday, the Jets had reports done on 608 players, but Tannenbaum said he expected a few more to be finished today.

31.2s087.JetsEarly1--300x300.jpg

AP

YOU CAN’T SEE ME: Isaiah Trufant (front) breaks up a pass in the end zone intended for Chad Hall during the Jets’ 28-10 loss to the Eagles last night.

Roster cuts must be submitted to the league office by 9 tonight. Shortly after, the Jets will receive the personnel report from the NFL and see who teams let go.

Tannenbaum will gather with assistant general manager Scott Cohen, director of pro personnel Brendan Prophett and assistant director of player personnel JoJo Wooden. They will huddle in an upstairs meeting room at the team’s Florham Park headquarters. They will compile something similar to a draft board on the wall, ranking the available players at positions they have needs at.

The group will consult with their college scouts over the phone and figure out how the available players measure up against the final few guys on their own roster.

“You don’t know who’s going to be available,” Tannenbaum said. “It’s very similar [to the college draft] in that regard. If we’re looking for position ‘X’ we’ll have five players at that position, knowing that four of the five might make other teams.”

The meeting can last into the wee hours of the next day. After the Jets target the players they want, they must submit the claims by noon tomorrow. The waiver claim order is the same as April’s draft, so the Jets are 16th. The team can prioritize the claims, so if they claim three players at one position, they can say if the first player on their list is awarded to them, they are no longer interested in the other two.

Last year, the Jets entered seven waiver claims and were awarded four players. Tannenbaum said there is a strategy involved in prioritizing the players and trying to guess what other teams might do.

“It’s really fun and it’s collaborative because I feel like it’s almost a continuation of the draft where the college draft reports are the foundation for their first pro personnel reports,” Tannenbaum said.

The players the Jets pick up are not going to register on even the most die-hard fan’s radar. They likely will provide roster depth this season in hopes that they can be productive players in the future.

Tannenbaum points to wide receiver Patrick Turner as an example. Turner originally was claimed off waivers by the Jets on cut-down weekend in 2010 from the Dolphins.

“We try to, when we can, attack a need,” Tannenbaum said. “Sometimes it’s depth. Patrick Turner is maybe not a frontline guy, but we expect Patrick to significantly help us this year. There’s definitely a buzz in the office [tonight].”

Last year, the Jets picked up Colin Baxter, Mardy Gilyard, Kevin O’Connell and Andrew Sendejo off waivers. Only O’Connell lasted the season. They also traded for Caleb Schlauderaff, who stuck.

These meetings also form the foundation of the team’s fall scouting for the Jets to know who they might target off other team’s practice squads. They liked Austin Howard at this time last year, but did not sign him until November off the Ravens’ practice squad. Now, he’s the starting right tackle.

“We’re always looking for things,” Jets coach Rex Ryan said.”

Mike Tannenbaum and Scott Cohen and JoJo, they’re always looking to help improve this football team. And if we can improve this team, whether it be a tackle, a corner, a whoever, then certainly we’re not going to shut ourselves out of that possibility.”

"There’s definitely a buzz in the office [tonight].”

Last year, the Jets picked up Colin Baxter, Mardy Gilyard, Kevin O’Connell and Andrew Sendejo off waivers. Only O’Connell lasted the season. They also traded for Caleb Schlauderaff, who stuck.

I'd like to get buzzed tonight also and try and forget this clown runs my team. Is there going to be an official Jetnation Mini Draft 2012 party

Man, wouldn't it have been cool if you had gotten to tattoo Tannenbaum's name on your chest? Then when people asked about it you could be like "yo, he's this comedian who moonlights as an NFL GM, he's super funny and stuff."

Pretty sure I'd have gotten an elective skin graft by now.

• Upvote 1

When I was just a boy going to games with my dad, I really had no appreciation for the frustration and suffering that this team caused him for so many years. I was so young and oblivious. I really finally get it now, I feel my own frustration. I feel the mental pain.

Edited by BleedGreen314

When I was just a boy going to games with my dad, I really had no appreciation for the frustration and suffering that this team caused him for so many years. I was so young and oblivious. I really finally get it now, I feel my own frustration. I feel the mental pain.

Meh, you've had it good. You've had playoff victories and an elite defense. This isn't sh** compared to your Dad's pain.

Hours after the Jets decide on the final cuts from their own team, Tannenbaum and Co. conduct what he calls a “mini-draft.”

“Our joke is we labor on Labor Day around here,” Tannenbaum

Ha ha -___-

If Tanny would have prioritized on our needs in the Original Draft there would be no need for this labor on labor day.

jets get mjd running back jax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plax, gaffney and my boy roy williams . to help team.. to go with holmes and hill..

well reality check. nope....nada . nobody i really know so far. but hey im only a fan.

however we did get gates so far he should help in the return game.. but as a rec?

im sure there still working hard on help for us ,gates is a start i dont know much about the others.. either way im on board,wishing the best in 2012 go jets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by richarddavis220

• 8 years later...
9 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I'd argue the years since this post have rivaled or surpassed his father's pain.

- Tim Tebow

- Firing Tanny but keeping Rex

- Idzik

- A Manish hit piece scaring them from hiring Doug Marrone 

- Todd Bowles

- Our starting QB getting his jaw broken at the hands of a teammate two weeks before the start of the 2015 season

- Mac

- Using a second round pick on Christian Hackenberg

- Mo Wilkerson getting a huge extension, only to morph from Richard Seymour to Jane Seymour.

- Fitzy holding us hostage

- Passing on two franchise QBs in favor of a safety who thinks he's Ed Reed, but needs to stand on a chair to kiss Ed Reed's ass.

- Signing Trumaine Johnson

- Selecting yet another DT instead of helping the QB we moved up to take with our previous pick.

- Letting Mac run a critical off-season, only to fire him weeks after the draft.

Damn I'm depressed right now.

I won't mention any names but there is someone on this board that defended ever single one of these situations. Any guesses?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I'd argue the years since this post have rivaled or surpassed his father's pain.

- Tim Tebow

- Firing Tanny but keeping Rex

- Idzik

- A Manish hit piece scaring them from hiring Doug Marrone 

- Todd Bowles

- Our starting QB getting his jaw broken at the hands of a teammate two weeks before the start of the 2015 season

- Mac

- Using a second round pick on Christian Hackenberg

- Mo Wilkerson getting a huge extension, only to morph from Richard Seymour to Jane Seymour.

- Fitzy holding us hostage

- Passing on two franchise QBs in favor of a safety who thinks he's Ed Reed, but needs to stand on a chair to kiss Ed Reed's ass.

- Signing Trumaine Johnson

- Selecting yet another DT instead of helping the QB we moved up to take with our previous pick.

- Letting Mac run a critical off-season, only to fire him weeks after the draft.

Damn I'm depressed right now.

For all that, there's finally light at the end of the tunnel. And guess what? This time, it's not a locomotive. It's . . .

paolo_darnold_apimages_ringer.jpg

. . . Ya, mon, Jamaica! Yes, yes, I know that's not the Jamaican flag. It's a half Jets/half USC beach towel that you can own for only 4 payments of $5.99 plus shipping and handling!