MINI DRAFT TRACKER::: AND THE JETS SELECT...

T0mShane

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tanny doesn't make this DL move without Rex's blessing, if not insistence.

Not necessarily true. did you hear about the recent article where Rex was saying he wouldn't have drafted hill but "those guys" in the room loved him? I like to tink Rex has a large amount of say with who is on the team, and he may, but Tanny is the GM. make no mistake of that.

Not necessarily true. did you hear about the recent article where Rex was saying he wouldn't have drafted hill but "those guys" in the room loved him? I like to tink Rex has a large amount of say with who is on the team, and he may, but Tanny is the GM. make no mistake of that.

After the John Conner pick, I'm surprised Rex wasn't told to stay home during the draft.

After the John Conner pick, I'm surprised Rex wasn't told to stay home during the draft.

Yeah that one has had a major impact on our downslide. Especially being so bold as to use such an early 5th rd pick on him. He's way worse of a pick than Ducasse or kyle Wilson in the 1st.

Yeah that one has had a major impact on our downslide. Especially being so bold as to use such an early 5th rd pick on him. He's way worse of a pick than Ducasse or kyle Wilson in the 1st.

I agree. Mangini was a much better drafter.

So was D'Brick Mangold , Harris, and Revis. Even Keller is better than anyone Rex has drafted. Wilkerson, Ellis and Coples could change that. Still a lot of catching up to do for Rex.

if Rex picked the guys since he's been here, why was the point made that he picked connor?

if mangini picked the players you mentioned, why is that the basis of the argument for why Tanny isn't a terrible GM?

Why are we cutting our homegrown talent, to sign Miami's trash!?!?!? WHY!?!?!

Because in this case you as a Jets fan are using "homegrown talent" as a euphemism for the Jets' trash.

Allen fell to the 7th despite the hype, and was beat often in camp and preseason. I like Dixon but who cares? Mourn the loss of a backup DL on this team?

I really don't get the Allen thing. He seemed at least worth keeping on the PS.

I think he got the benefit of the doubt from Rex in the draft because of his position at SC. They play a 4-2-5 and use a hybrid LB/S in their defense which is very similar to the position that Smith normally lines up in when we go to a 46. I thought it was weird at the time that he fell past the 5th, but apparently it was justified because he didn't look all that good during preseason; which means he would have gone UDFA if the Jets didn't value him and it was likely because of ease of the positional transition that might have come. But they seem to like Bush a lot better and realistically you can't carry 5 safeties on a team like this.

My major issue so far is that Tannenbaum gave the impression that he'd use this weekend to shore up obvious holes on this roster, and that hasn't been the case. No blocking TE, no back, no OL help, nothing but a fourth nose tackle, a third finesse TE, and a WR that will never play.

Cutting the draft picks isn't a big deal in practical terms, but in the big picture it looks sh*tty because this was really the first year Tannenbaum placed a value on using late picks to stock the back end of the roster with young, developmental prospects. Instead, they're going with Jason Smith and Yeremiah Bell, neither of whom will be on the roster next year. Water-treading.

Drafting Hill is very different from cutting and replacing Dixon. Rex's opinion on the defensive units has ultimate weight. I think.

Drafting Hill is very different from cutting and replacing Dixon. Rex's opinion on the defensive units has ultimate weight. I think.

Don't get me wrong. I want to believe that too. These moves are just not making sense to me and believing they are money based makes more sense than the football side at this time. Similar to how I felt last year when we tore apart our offense for no apparent reason

My major issue so far is that Tannenbaum gave the impression that he'd use this weekend to shore up obvious holes on this roster, and that hasn't been the case. No blocking TE, no back, no OL help, nothing but a fourth nose tackle, a third finesse TE, and a WR that will never play.

Cutting the draft picks isn't a big deal in practical terms, but in the big picture it looks sh*tty because this was really the first year Tannenbaum placed a value on using late picks to stock the back end of the roster with young, developmental prospects. Instead, they're going with Jason Smith and Yeremiah Bell, neither of whom will be on the roster next year. Water-treading.

The only cut that kind of irks me in that regard is Allen. The other guys (Ganaway, Griffin, White) couldn't even beat out the likes of Caleb Schlauderaff, John Conner, or Pat Turner. There really is no room for guys like that on our roster.

Jason Smith is irrelevant, because he replaced, and is younger than, Hunter. Hunter was not going to be here long either, and I do think Smith has more upside over Hunter as well. Either way, I think we all hope that Smith/Hunter is irrelevant, because Austin Howard is a guy that can continue to develop and stick for a long period of time.

I thought Allen played pretty well, and I would have liked to see the Jets make an effort to develop him this year. But realistically, we took two safeties in the 6th round. At the time, I didn't expect both of them to be on our final 53. They obviously decided it would be more worthwhile to keep Bush than Allen, and made their decision.

Cutting the draft picks isn't a big deal in practical terms, but in the big picture it looks sh*tty because this was really the first year Tannenbaum placed a value on using late picks to stock the back end of the roster with young, developmental prospects.

I'm not so sure this was necessarily the case. 2 of the 4 were compensation picks, meaning they weren't tradeable. We gave up a 6th in the Tebow trade and depending on how you value a 5th they did give that up for Hill. That extra 7th was from the Stanton trade and it's not like we picked that up in the hopes that would turn out to be anything more so than just a formality for dumping him after Tebow. IMO this year was business as usual for a guy who has one of the oddest draft philosophies I've ever seen.

The issue is the lack of college scouting and draft planning within the organization.

I don't expect the Jets to draft rookie starters in the later rounds but it would certainly be nice to find some developmental players to develop as backups and ultimately fill a need.

The idea that the 5th, 6th, and 7th rd is when Tannenbaum starts playing his xbox and just pulls a random name out of the hat really burns my ass.

Archived