MINI DRAFT TRACKER::: AND THE JETS SELECT...

T0mShane

Don't you remember when the Jets were sitting at 8-5 and in control of their own destiny, then completely collapsed? No? Nobody remembers that one anymore huh? Guess I didn't get that memo.

Everybody remembers that and it was pretty pathetic. However, some people are acting like 8-8 is 3-13. The only thing that matters was that it wasn't good enough. We were playing meaningful games into December... Mediocre is never good enough, but we have had successive seasons where we combined for a total of 4 wins. 8-8 is not the disaster that some are making it out to be.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stoic's fighting the good fight. I think the negativity has been a little over the deep end lately, with the mini-draft causing a lot of silliness.

Tannenbaum is the new Schottenheimer, and the complaints that we all had about him may be coming home to roost now. Yes, some of the barbs being sent his way are over the top, but people are running out of people to blame. Tannenbaum is being outed as the man behind the curtain.

Tannenbaum took a lot of heat for the Coples and Hill picks, that they were both swinging for the fences types, but right about now they're looking pretty good pencilled into the starting lineup.

Coples, yes. Hill is still wishful thinking at this point.

Would've been nice if those later guys stuck, but I think the premise was correct. They used those picks to draft productive college players at need positions. Just didn't work out. I think Allen is the only guy I'm actually disappointed about. Glad White made the practice squad.

When the general impression is that you have a roster lacking speed, talent, and youth, and you have a full complement of draft picks for the first time in years, cutting four of those picks is exasperating. Yes, they're late picks, but missing on almost all of them just reinforces the perception that your scouting isn't in sync with your coaching staff.

Everybody remembers that and it was pretty pathetic. However, some people are acting like 8-8 is 3-13. The only thing that matters was that it wasn't good enough. We were playing meaningful games into December... Mediocre is never good enough, but we have had successive seasons where we combined for a total of 4 wins. 8-8 is not the disaster that some are making it out to be.

No, you're acting like we're acting like 8-8 is 3-13. I haven't seen one person say that ever and like I said it's a crappy way to frame a position you may not agree with. It's actually exactly the opposite. Part of the reason going 8-8 is so frustrating is because those who have this large of a problem with 8-8 know damn well how good the defense is.

All 8-8s aren't built the same way. To go from competing for titles that your coach has guaranteed, to not competing against the better teams in the league, is not good. It represents the same sort of decline that ended Herm and Mangini. Jets fans have earned the right to be anxious about this administration.

Tannenbaum is the new Schottenheimer, and the complaints that we all had about him may be coming home to roost now. Yes, some of the barbs being sent his way are over the top, but people are running out of people to blame. Tannenbaum is being outed as the man behind the curtain.

Schott's criticism was even more warranted than Tannenbaum's. All of these guys are not wrongfully persecuted as scapegoats. Sometimes guys are just bad at their job. Schott sucked and that goal line BS against Pitt cost us a legit chance at a comeback. He should have been canned on that alone.. Tannenbaum's an average to below-average GM, and Sanchez is terrible. It's not a crime to be dissatisfied with all of them at once. Blame doesn't have to be a single thing.

Schott's criticism was even more warranted than Tannenbaum's. All of these guys are not wrongfully persecuted as scapegoats. Sometimes guys are just bad at their job. Schott sucked and that goal line BS against Pitt cost us a legit chance at a comeback. He should have been canned on that alone.. Tannenbaum's an average to below-average GM, and Sanchez is terrible. It's not a crime to be dissatisfied with all of them at once. Blame doesn't have to be a single thing.

Truth. What's interesting is that Tannenbaum and Schottenheimer share the blame for not finding and developing the quarterback that could have potentially put both of their careers on better tracks than they're on at present. A little bit of blind leading the blind there.

Truth. What's interesting is that Tannenbaum and Schottenheimer share the blame for not finding and developing the quarterback that could have potentially put both of their careers on better tracks than they're on at present. A little bit of blind leading the blind there.

Favre and Pennington post-Schott doesn't exactly help his case either (enter Gato/CTM with zomg attempts/grammar so bad it can't be ignored). The guy wasn't just some scapegoat wrongfully persecuted. He was a problem. Tannenbaum's a problem. Sanchez is a problem. Rex is a little bit of a problem sometimes. Sparano will probably be a problem. To what degree in the grand ratio of things is always up for debate, however.

I feel like Frank on Festivus airing his grievances when I look at this organization sometimes.

Then how does the ****ing team win? How!?!?

Agree with you. My poke at stoic, who seems to endorse everything Tannenbaum does, is that he had to simultaneously praise Tannenbaum for drafting and then cutting the same players.

OK, I don't do that.

I don't endorse everything that Mike T has done. Gholston, Ducasse, etc... there is plenty to complain about with Mike T.

The objection I have is when you take something that every NFL GM does on a routine basis (such as cutting a comp pick) and pretend its unusual so as to further an agenda. You know well enough that most 6th and 7th round picks don't last long, heck, most of them probably don't even make the bottom of their rosters for a single year.

They ride the defense and amazing STs, which Tannenbaum supplies with overpaid LBs, injury prone/finished safeties, me first CBs, and no stalwart at K or P that generates 100% confidence all the time.

amazing ST's ?

they commit a lot of penalties, and have turned it over recently as well. conley flat out sux

I hold my breath when mcknight or kerley are set to recieve a kick, and literally can't watch conley

The objection I have is when you take something that every NFL GM does on a routine basis (such as cutting a comp pick) and pretend its unusual so as to further an agenda. You know well enough that most 6th and 7th round picks don't last long, heck, most of them probably don't even make the bottom of their rosters for a single year.

Again with the vacuum. The NFL GMs worse than Tannenbaum aren't a useful barometer of what he should be doing, and most of the NFL GMs better than Tannenbaum got to be better than Tannenbaum by valuing mid-round picks and by finding a QB sufficiently talented to mitigate the failure of late-rounders. Context context context.

amazing ST's ?

they commit a lot of penalties, and have turned it over recently as well. conley flat out sux

I hold my breath when mcknight or kerley are set to recieve a kick, and literally can't watch conley

Fully understand Westhoff, probably because of Weatherford vapor locking in a playoff game, was dubious of him. But he always punted well, and replacing him with Conley was going from one of the best punters in the NFL to one of the worst. For a team with so small a margin for error given it's piss poor offense, the net loss in field position every week was a disaster. There's little special about the Jets' specials, and a lot of it is a result of that bad decision. Perhaps a GM with a firmer hand on talent evaluation tells Westhoff to deal with Weatherford because that's as good a punter as you can get. Instead we allowed a very good specials coach to let personality clash he had with a very good player dictate a talent decision.

OK, I don't do that.

I don't endorse everything that Mike T has done. Gholston, Ducasse, etc... there is plenty to complain about with Mike T.

I wasn't doing it to be belligerent, man. Just having a little fun with type.

Again with the vacuum. The NFL GMs worse than Tannenbaum aren't a useful barometer of what he should be doing,

Not the ones "worse" than him, all of them. 6th & 7th round picks are practically worthless for any team.

and most of the NFL GMs better than Tannenbaum got to be better than Tannenbaum by valuing mid-round picks

I thought we were talking about whether or not cutting 6th & 7th round picks is a common practice - and if so, it is. If you want to talk about his handling of mid-round picks, that's a different matter altogether.

I hate this offseason the most. I agree in that I do not like many of the moves that have been made. You can start with Sparano. Allen was the only pick I think I miss and as for devloping guys, Bush seems further away, but with more upside, so keeping him seems preferable. Other years moves I liked didn't pan out, so i'd like to see them play before I start condemning everything. Right now I feel like jocks against nerds and I want the season to start so they can **** teams up. Marginalize the QB? **** yeah! The Bills won the offseason. They are going to challenge the Pats this year. **** them too. I can't wait to punch Fitzpatrick in that bearded ****ing mouth.

Fully understand Westhoff, probably because of Weatherford vapor locking in a playoff game, was dubious of him. But he always punted well, and replacing him with Conley was going from one of the best punters in the NFL to one of the worst. For a team with so small a margin for error given it's piss poor offense, the net loss in field position every week was a disaster. There's little special about the Jets' specials, and a lot of it is a result of that bad decision. Perhaps a GM with a firmer hand on talent evaluation tells Westhoff to deal with Weatherford because that's as good a punter as you can get. Instead we allowed a very good specials coach to let personality clash he had with a very good player dictate a talent decision.

What you have written just is not true. The difference in net yardage between the two punters last year was around a half a yard per kick....hardly worth getting worked up over, no?

Not the ones "worse" than him, all of them. 6th & 7th round picks are practically worthless for any team.

I thought we were talking about whether or not cutting 6th & 7th round picks is a common practice - and if so, it is. If you want to talk about his handling of mid-round picks, that's a different matter altogether.

Dude we're in the Vacuum remember ? Now get your sh*t together.

@Tom Shane this draft tracker sucks balls. Thought you were going to update the first post with ALL the Jets Major Mini Draft transactions ??

My head is spinning with all this movement...

The Miami Dolphins weren't the only team to make roster moves Tuesday. Both the New England Patriots and New York Jets both altered their roster with a series of transactions.

Starting with the Patriots, the reigning AFC champs signed free-agent running back Lex Hillard and released offensive lineman Matt Tennant. Meanwhile, the Jets surprising cut punter T.J. Conley and nose tackle Isaako Aaitui, the team announced.

Tuesday was an interesting day for roster moves. The Dolphins also released quarterback David Garrard, who was a projected starter before his knee injury this summer

One of the greatest QB's to ever play the game was a 6th round pick.

Yeah and every once in awhile an UDFA becomes a star. Doesn't change the fact that the chance of hitting with these guys is miniscule.

So WTF is your point?

BTW, looks like we re-signed almost all of these guys to our practice squad.

Archived