Jets cut Marcus Dixon and half their draft picks!

BlackDynamite

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People are just willfully ignoring context at this point. Yes, in a vacuum, cutting a couple sixth rounders isn't a huge deal. The Jets do not exist in a vacuum. They exist in the real world. And in the real world, our QB is terrible and we play fast and loose with mid-round picks and as a result it sure looks like our season is going to come down to some combination of Mangold's health and a race to the bottom between Howard and Smith. A team like that absolutely has to hit on studs in rounds 1 and 2 and solid depth guys in rounds 5-7 every single year. Conversely, a team like that absolutely cannot afford to come out of a draft with four players, especially when the only offensive guy is a developmental wide receiver. You may be right that the Wilkerson/Ellis/Coples line will save Tannenbaum's ass (at least for another season), but eventually the piper has to get paid on this sh*t. Though I will admit your pants-pissing metaphor was much more vivid.

It's one thing to be trading up strictly within the confines of the draft, but it's another thing when you're doing it for players that cost significantly more than what the draft slot calls for. It's rendered us paralyzed to make up for any of this in free agency. Even with the Tebow trade; where, in theory a 4th rounder for a backup QB sounds solid in that very vacuum, it's also costing 4 times the price against the cap. It also makes missing on picks a complete disaster.

Look at it this way; Keller won't be here next year, and I doubt Wilson lasts here past his rookie deal. By that time, (end of 2014) Sanchez is probably gone and so is Greene. That means that on the 2015 Jets, and this is being generous, counting Slauson, Bush, Powell, McKnight, and Kerley, we'll have at most 10 players total on the roster from the 5 drafts between 2008-2012. That is horrendous. And we're not able to sign anyone to fill those voids because of the contracts at the top of the heap.

My definition of a good draft is how many impact players you add, when viewed 3 years from now. As of today it looks pretty good with Coples and Hill. But time will tell. It's too bad the NFL is soft and offensive oriented in this era. Like the NBA is all about the offense. I worry that our D will be old and retired before the pendulumn swings back to balanced or defensive oriented football. O/U's of 60+ really??? I am so sick of protecting the air game!

My definition of a good draft is how many impact players you add, when viewed 3 years from now. As of today it looks pretty good with Coples and Hill. But time will tell. It's too bad the NFL is soft and offensive oriented in this era. Like the NBA is all about the offense. I worry that our D will be old and retired before the pendulumn swings back to balanced or defensive oriented football. O/U's of 60+ really??? I am so sick of protecting the air game!

Davis is another 2 star bust waitin to happen Arkansas State comeon mon

The infuriating thing to me is how we missed on these particular guys. There is simply no way that Jordan White got cleared by our medical staff. I have a better chance of sneaking an alarm clock and a pack of road flares through TSA. Robert T. Griffin? More like Sean T. Deegan. Ganaway, same. Enough with the fat people for god's sake. And Allen plays a position that doesn't exist in the NFL. Might as well take a bandit end from Clemson. Oh. Right. Sapp. What's Tannenbaum's next move, land war in Asia?

The infuriating thing to me is how we missed on these particular guys. There is simply no way that Jordan White got cleared by our medical staff. I have a better chance of sneaking an alarm clock and a pack of road flares through TSA. Robert T. Griffin? More like Sean T. Deegan. Ganaway, same. Enough with the fat people for god's sake. And Allen plays a position that doesn't exist in the NFL. Might as well take a bandit end from Clemson. Oh. Right. Sapp. What's Tannenbaum's next move, land war in Asia?

This. We couldn't have taken Burfict with one of those picks? Would've been interesting to see him pick off tebow a few more times in training camp.

Look at it this way; Keller won't be here next year, and I doubt Wilson lasts here past his rookie deal. By that time, (end of 2014) Sanchez is probably gone and so is Greene. That means that on the 2015 Jets, and this is being generous, counting Slauson, Bush, Powell, McKnight, and Kerley, we'll have at most 10 players total on the roster from the 5 drafts between 2008-2012. That is horrendous. And we're not able to sign anyone to fill those voids because of the contracts at the top of the heap.

Pretty much. We're on the verge of needing a total rebuild on offense, and the smart prayers are on someone other than Tannenbaum conducting it.

On the other hand, two AFC Derpionship Games derpa derp derp derp!

It's one thing to be trading up strictly within the confines of the draft, but it's another thing when you're doing it for players that cost significantly more than what the draft slot calls for. It's rendered us paralyzed to make up for any of this in free agency. Even with the Tebow trade; where, in theory a 4th rounder for a backup QB sounds solid in that very vacuum, it's also costing 4 times the price against the cap. It also makes missing on picks a complete disaster.

Your spot on - unfortunately.

You can't trade away your mids for Stephen Hill and Tim Tebow and think there won't be consequences come cut time, or that your draft class isn't going to suffer in the immediate. Over time, no depth and a top-heavy roster with inflated contracts becomes the result. Piss your pants and you can only stay warm for so long.

Torn a little here, because I really like the Hill pick, but overall I agree. Biggest complaint about Tannenbaum is all the trades.

I think Keller's here next year on a franchise tag, and 2014 is a long ways off. If Sanchez gets it together, he and Keller will both stick. If not, they're both gone.

But again, basic premise is right on.

first people complain that they traded away all the draft picks. then we complain when they use the draft picks and they don't pan out. News flash 6th and 7th round picks get cut all the time. The success rate for those rounds is minute... like 8% for each round. There's a reason why Tanny traded mid and late round picks all those years, cause those picks usually suck. We find the exceptions like Tom Brady and Antonio Brown and we believe that Tanny is missing out on some sort of bounty. Follow the draft every year and 90% or more of these late picks are absolutely worthless.

They are sixth and seventh round draft picks! WTF are you all that deluded that you just don't get it????

Te Accountant was on EPSN this AM bragging about free agents. Yet how do you miss on so many picks? Further if free agents are the selling point, how does The Accountant miss Victor Cruz from his alma mater? Jerry Reese totally picked his pocket.

Te Accountant was on EPSN this AM bragging about free agents. Yet how do you miss on so many picks?

Ask the other 31 GM's, because they all miss on almost every 6th and 7th.

Further if free agents are the selling point, how does The Accountant miss Victor Cruz from his alma mater? Jerry Reese totally picked his pocket.

Because he didn't have a crystal ball? Geez, no one knew what that guy was gonna do.

first people complain that they traded away all the draft picks. then we complain when they use the draft picks and they don't pan out. News flash 6th and 7th round picks get cut all the time. The success rate for those rounds is minute... like 8% for each round. There's a reason why Tanny traded mid and late round picks all those years, cause those picks usually suck. We find the exceptions like Tom Brady and Antonio Brown and we believe that Tanny is missing out on some sort of bounty. Follow the draft every year and 90% or more of these late picks are absolutely worthless.

Can't justify all the mid-round picks he moves because a couple 7th round compensatory picks failed to pan out. The Jets have found some decent players in the 3-5 round range over the years. Ellis, Powell, and Kerley from last year's draft all figure to be a big part of this year's plan. McKnight, Conner, Lowery, Smith & Smith, Washington, etc. There's a lot of talent to be found in that midrange. He's traded way to many of those away, with nothing to show for them.

You are going to marry the first woman that starts having sex with you regularly. This I am sure of.

How regularly are we talking here? Will I be allowed extra wives? Does she think we need to have kids? Do I treat her more like a partner in crime or is there a deep, mutual resentment? Is this projecting on your part?

3 days later edit: Back in this thread. Cheers on regularly. I lawl'd.

Archived