Sign in to follow this  
CoachTsurfing

College QB's

Rate this topic

I actually agree with bit on Thomas/Barkley. I know he said Combine but I don't think it'll happen there. People tend to talk about guys who are combine risers or fallers, but teams know who's going to test out well and who isn't for the most part. A lot of "workout warriors" are just players with good height/weight/speed that a team will try to develop.

A guy like Thomas has great measurables - big, strong, fast, good athlete, strong arm. With the success of a guy like Cam Newton last season and we'll see how RGIII does, it becomes more appealing to have a quarterback who can move a little. Even a guy like Ben Roethlisberger who's just huge and can shrug off defenders in the pocket, Thomas at 6'6 260 is going to be the size of some of the pass rushers who come after him. In the league today with it being easier to separate downfield after all the rule changes, a QB like that is easier to build around. If you don't protect a guy like Barkley, he's going to go down. Thomas can buy some time, move around, and find guys downfield.

It's really the same issue we've had with Sanchez. When guys are getting open downfield and he has a clean pocket to work with, more often than not he's pretty good. But it's kind of a pain in the ass to have to put together a team like that around your quarterback for him to be successful. Now I think Sanchez is an extreme example, but Barkley seems like he's closer to that than a guy who can get things done without a great supporting cast.

So I think as the season goes on and teams see what Thomas is doing without the luxury of two first round WR's and all of the other talent USC has on offense, it just becomes clear he's easier to build a team around with his physical abilities. That's provided he has the kind of season he's capable of, but I think that's the kind of guy you want to take at the top of the first round. People may chalk it up to the combine, but it'll happen during the season if it does.

So awesome that he was unnecessarily guaranteed another season of starter money next year before we have the answer to that question. So awesome.

I hate that contract, too. The Jets wanted cap space, and I guess the alternative was to ask Sanchez to take a pay cut? And if he refuses, what then?

The idea that it was makeup sex for flirting with Manning is what makes it really unpalatable.

this is completely premature. the Jets extended Sanchez, that means he gets 2 more years. This year and next. So forget about it. They aren't gonna draft a 1st round QB and pay Sanchez 10 million dollars at the same time. Maybe in 2014.

I've been having a tough time convincing some people around here that the contract means he gets all of this year as the starter, but you're not going to convince me that he gets 2013 if he shows no improvement in 2012.

At the moment I'm liking thomas. the guy is accurate and is going to be fun to watch. I do think we will draft a qb if sanchez blows. If we get a starting vet. then maybe we don't go qb in the first. but what starting qb is going to want to come here. our offense is so disfunctional.

this is completely premature. the Jets extended Sanchez, that means he gets 2 more years. This year and next. So forget about it. They aren't gonna draft a 1st round QB and pay Sanchez 10 million dollars at the same time. Maybe in 2014.

We could have Mark and Tim mentor our new QB on what it takes to be an NFL QB

TX A&M grad here. Got you ****ers next week. Word in the street is our frosh QB is the damn deal. Lies. All lies. You will be 2-0, but the home field thingy keeps it close. Chomp chomp

I dunno. The Gators suck. If you can stop the run, you might be able to shut us out. Their offense might be worse than the Jets.

let's imagine a worst case scenario, the Jets wipe out with Sanchez completely. How could they draft Barkley? It's like drafting another Ohio State defensive end 2 years after gholston (which they had the chance to do, remember Cameron Heyward)? so regardless of what you think of Matt Barkley, the chances of him becoming a Jet is zero.

At the moment I'm liking thomas. the guy is accurate and is going to be fun to watch. I do think we will draft a qb if sanchez blows. If we get a starting vet. then maybe we don't go qb in the first. but what starting qb is going to want to come here. our offense is so disfunctional.

A solid QB would go a long way towards resolving the disfunctionality of the offense. I think if the Jets step up to pay, they'll get someone in here. I really think this is the route that they'll take, and then maybe draft a QB in the middle rounds (if Tannenbaum can manage to hold onto any of those picks).

A solid QB would go a long way towards resolving the disfunctionality of the offense. I think if the Jets step up to pay, they'll get someone in here. I really think this is the route that they'll take, and then maybe draft a QB in the middle rounds (if Tannenbaum can manage to hold onto any of those picks).

Why not give McElroy a shot?

If the Jets hadn't made the Tebow move you would have seen a lot more McElroy this preseason. if you really want to run ground and pound he fits the bill as a smart game manager who doesn't turn the ball over. Basically a more athletic, stronger armed Chad Pennington.

I think the combine and the post season evaluation is extremely important for a college QB. Look at Sanchez, the guy's film in college is him throwing with his feet perfectly set to receivers that have 4 steps on the defender. The only way you can know if a guy has the arm to make the pro throws is to work him out. Also, you need to be able to interview them to make sure their personality is going to mesh with making them the face of your franchise. Look at Jeff George, the guy looked like a world beater, but just did not have the mentality to be a leader. Everyone thinks of the combine as a dirty word after guys like Gholston, but it is a very important step in the process....probably more so for a QB than any other position.