residents of NY, i need your help!

Blackout

well, people who drive.

i got a speeding ticket today upstate and unlike my previous speeding tickets from Maine this one does not give me an amount to pay, it just says whether I plead guilty or want to go to court to fight it.

is this how ALL new york speeding tickets are? in maine they give you an amount....this guy didn't. thankfully it was close enough to my home that I'm going to fight this SOB cop but I'm just curious at why it's different than the two tickets I've gotten previously.

thanks for any helpful replies, I'd appreciate it. I'm not in good spirits right now...I don't have the money for another ticket quite frankly and I have nobody to blame but myself.

Yes, that's how they all are. If you plead guilty by mail, the local court will bill you for the fine. Where did you get the ticket?

Pittstown i think? Hoosick street (which leads to Troy).

ugh....looks like it's nothing but spaghetti and cold cuts for me.....oh and maybe cubesteak when i feel fancy :D

if you we're in fact speeding why would you fight it? It doesnt sound like this cop is an SOB, but just doing his job.

he wasnt an SOB attitude wise but I do wonder why he picked me out and not the guy infront of me (water under the bridge now).

either way I've heard that if the cop doesn't show up to court there's a chance you can win, why not fight it? only costs me like 10-15 bucks gas to get to this place and I'm free the day the court date would be.

Pittstown i think? Hoosick street (which leads to Troy).

ugh....looks like it's nothing but spaghetti and cold cuts for me.....oh and maybe cubesteak when i feel fancy :D

What about all the cash you've saved over the years by not going to games? You should be sitting on a nice pile of cash by now.

If you're serious about fighting it, there should be a place on the ticket to request a deposition. Do that, and the cop will be required to provide you with a sworn statement about the incident and the arrest. Take it to court with you. If the cop does not show up, move to dismiss for lack of evidence. If he does show up, point out any errors made in the deposition.

Most local justices are retired cops, so if the cop shows up, you're probably going to lose. I didn't say you'd be screwed because, by your own admission, you deserved it.

If you're serious about fighting it, there should be a place on the ticket to request a deposition. Do that, and the cop will be required to provide you with a sworn statement about the incident and the arrest. Take it to court with you. If the cop does not show up, move to dismiss for lack of evidence. If he does show up, point out any errors made in the deposition.

Most local justices are retired cops, so if the cop shows up, you're probably going to lose. I didn't say you'd be screwed because, by your own admission, you deserved it.

i'm going to take my chance this guy doesn't show up. if not at least I get to make my first trip to a court (which makes me gangster, right?)

i should probably get myself a segway machine or whatever those things are called, and then i'll never get a speeding ticket again....but parking tickets might be hard to avoid. damn, the more i think of it NO vehicle is going to prevent tickets of some sort. i might as well become Usain Bolt and run everywhere.

he wasnt an SOB attitude wise but I do wonder why he picked me out and not the guy infront of me (water under the bridge now).

either way I've heard that if the cop doesn't show up to court there's a chance you can win, why not fight it? only costs me like 10-15 bucks gas to get to this place and I'm free the day the court date would be.

Some counties allow you to plead your violation down. I always go to court when I get a ticket just for that reason. You might want to contact them and see if they do so in the county you got your ticket.

Some counties allow you to plead your violation down. I always go to court when I get a ticket just for that reason. You might want to contact them and see if they do so in the county you got your ticket.

He won't be in a county court. He'll be in a town/village/city court, depending on where he was stopped.

The cop will show up. They'll schedule you and everyone he gave a ticket to on the same date. If he doesn't show up for you he isn't showing up for dozens of others. It's not impossible and it does happen from time to time if he's suddenly very sick, but you've got maybe a 3% chance at best that he doesn't show up.

But if you do show up and if your license is otherwise clean, and don't come off as cocky or an argumentative dick, it'll likely save you some money. Also dress respectfully. My advice is to wear freshly ironed khaki's, shoes not sneakers, a clean ironed button-down shirt, and no hat of any kind. Do that and he'll probably talk to you off to the side before you go before the judge and knock it down to a non-moving violation parking ticket or something. Show up in ripped too-baggy jeans with the ankle hems all frayed from dragging under your sneaker heels, sitting low with your boxers hanging out, sneakers, tee shirt under a basketball jersey, a baseball hat tilted sideways that - to an adult - screams "I'm a young punk and take pride in it," etc. (you get the drift), and you will get nowhere. It's basic respect: not just for the cop, but also for the court. If it's seen that you're giving them respect you'll (usually) get the same back in return.

So look respectful, say "yes sir" and "no sir" to everyone you see, and there's an excellent chance he'll knock it down a bit so your fine is a little lower and your auto insurance won't go up.

The cop will show up. They'll schedule you and everyone he gave a ticket to on the same date. If he doesn't show up for you he isn't showing up for dozens of others. It's not impossible and it does happen from time to time if he's suddenly very sick, but you've got maybe a 3% chance at best that he doesn't show up.

But if you do show up and if your license is otherwise clean, and don't come off as cocky or an argumentative dick, it'll likely save you some money. Also dress respectfully. My advice is to wear freshly ironed khaki's, shoes not sneakers, a clean ironed button-down shirt, and no hat of any kind. Do that and he'll probably talk to you off to the side before you go before the judge and knock it down to a non-moving violation parking ticket or something. Show up in ripped too-baggy jeans with the ankle hems all frayed from dragging under your sneaker heels, sitting low with your boxers hanging out, sneakers, tee shirt under a basketball jersey, a baseball hat tilted sideways that - to an adult - screams "I'm a young punk and take pride in it," etc. (you get the drift), and you will get nowhere. It's basic respect: not just for the cop, but also for the court. If it's seen that you're giving them respect you'll (usually) get the same back in return.

So look respectful, say "yes sir" and "no sir" to everyone you see, and there's an excellent chance he'll knock it down a bit so your fine is a little lower and your auto insurance won't go up.

All excellent advice. Your chances of the cop not showing up may be better than SE says, though, especially if it's a small town and the cop did not write a lot of tickets that week. A lot of cops work for more than one municipality and rely on the fact that out-of-state drivers will not show up.

How much over the speed limit were you clocked at? If you get bagged for doing 20+ MPH over the speed limit in NY and are found guilty, it's a 6-point violation. I believe that, as part of the Driver's License Compact - an agreement between states to assess points for out-of-state violations - the Maine DMV will apply points from a NY moving violation (whereas NY only assesses points for major out-of-state violations, ie. DWI, reckless driving).

The other problem is that the NY DMV instituted this Driver Responsibility Assessment program where you have to pay additional fines if you exceed 6 points during any 18-month period, regardless of whether or not you are a NY State resident. I got caught in a speed trap on Northern Blvd by Citi Field doing 53 in a 30 and, in addition to the $195 fine and 6 points, must pay an additional $150/yr for each of the next three years for the Driver Responsibility Assessment. So, all told, this ticket cost me $645, but it wasn't worth fighting since you can't plead down tickets in NYC and in the wake of the ticket-fixing scandals, it's nearly impossible to beat a (legitimate) ticket these days in NYC.

If you were doing 20+ MPH over the speed limit, it's definitely worth fighting in whatever podunk municipality you were caught in.

Max can hook you up with some tube steak.

oh... I mis-read this. you said cube steak, not tube steak. my bad.

LOL

sadly I've realized that quite a few of the people in where (who need not be named) are using this thread to mock me for my problem.

for the others who helped me with legit responses I thank yee! :)

LOL

sadly I've realized that quite a few of the people in where (who need not be named) are using this thread to mock me for my problem.

for the others who helped me with legit responses I thank yee! :)

Are you sure you haven't gotten your Masters yet? They should probably just give it to you.

Archived