The New York Yankees collapse thread

Matt39

In his last six starts he has given up more than 2 earned once and gone less than 7 twice. Sounds like what you want down the stretch. His one "bad" game was against the O's and two were against Boston, so I guess that doesn't prove anything.

Beating the AAA line-ups that Boston is putting out there is no great feat. I would not have faith in Phil Hughes come playoff time. Which is essentially now.

• 2 weeks later...

That's exactly what the Yanks need to do with a team like the Dead Sox. Score runs early and coast. These next 2 games to clinch the division and AL homefield is about the offense scoring early and often.

Hope they can get the game in tonight. Showers clear after 6, but then return after 9 pm.

Thank you, Raul, because he not only bailed out the Yanks, he bailed out Girardi's Binder-Blunder. There have been two huge Binder Blunders that have nearly cost the Yanks dearly in the stretch run. The last was taking out Hughes in a 3-1 game to put in Boone, and then they lost the game. Last night was inexcusable in batting POS Tex in front of Cano, who's been scorching hot.

Hopefully Girardi uses his brain rather than slaving to the Binder next time. Tex should be no where close to top of the lineup. He sucks in big spots, and now he sucks in little spots too with his calf injury.

I won't argue that Tex has sucked in big spots, but I thought he ran pretty well on that calf last night. My thoughts on Clueless Joe are pretty well known.

Agreed, Bob. The best that can be said about Tex is that his calf seems much better. He still should be batting down in the lineup.

CONGRATULATIONS, AL EAST CHAMPION NEW YORK YANKEES!!!

Well deserved after a great pursuit by the O's. Remarkable numbers. I read in the papers that for 21 straight days in September, the Yanks & Os were separated by 1 game or less in the standings, the first time in over a century that the top 2 teams have been that close late in the season for such a long time.

The Yanks needed this 3 days rest since they've essentially been playing playoff baseball for close to a month. Hopefully it carries over.

Going forward, Clueless Joe (I like that Bob), better not take anymore stupid pills and decide to put Tex ahead of Cano or in the middle of the lineup.

The best Yankee lineup for the postseason IMO is:

Jeter

Ichiro

ARod

Cano

Swisher

Grandy

Tex

Ibanez

Martin

If you're worried about lefties, you can switch Ichiro for Swisher, but I would be against it. If Cano is anywhere other than 3rd or 4th, Girardi should be slapped.

Archived