Jets without a punter? Merged.

Beaver

Brian Costello@BrianCoz

Jets cut punter T.J. Conley, according to a source.

Conor Orr@ConorTOrr

Can confirm report from @BrianCoz that punter T.J. Conley has been cut. #Jets

Brian Costello@BrianCoz

I hear Jets could sign Mat McBriar as new punter but have not been able to pin down that they've actually signed him. #nyj

3:01 PM - 4 Sep 12 · Details

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He just isn't that good, though. I would guess Mat McBriar because he has had multiple seasons over 40 yards in net yardage which Conley has never been able to do.

Conley was only there one year and was only .4 net per punt behind Weatherford. Both were better than McBriar last year. Not sure about Kapinos stats lately, but he's kicked for the Packers and Steelers and probably was better than McBriar last year. Doesn't mean McBriar isn't best guess, but Kapinos might not be a bad option. Conley really has gone in the tank the last couple of weeks. Against the Panthers he looked like he couldn't figure out his drop. It's like Knoblauch disease.

F'ing Tanny. Guy is clueless. Your offense cant get a first down and you dont even have a punter on the roster.

Bean. Counter.

I'll actually go ahead and say some criticism is warranted on this. For a team that puts field position at utmost importance we need to have this position shored up. Weatherford was very good at directional punts but didn't have the leg; Conley seemed to have the leg at one time but certainly wasn't good at directional punting. Gotta at least have a punter who can do 1 of those things well.

I'll actually go ahead and say some criticism is warranted on this. For a team that puts field position at utmost importance we need to have this position shored up. Weatherford was very good at directional punts but didn't have the leg; Conley seemed to have the leg at one time but certainly wasn't good at directional punting. Gotta at least have a punter who can do 1 of those things well.

Or no punters, apparently.

Its a ****ing Punter, dude.

I dont think Westy ever forgave Weatherford for that fake punt run attempt for like 30 yards where he came up just short (cant remember the game) but it looked like it was Weatherfords decision and Westy wasnt happy.

He just isn't that good, though. I would guess Mat McBriar because he has had multiple seasons over 40 yards in net yardage which Conley has never been able to do.

I would like to retract what I said...not about Kapinos who still stinks, but about McBriar. I don't know what I was looking at because he has only had one season with a net punting yardage over 40. In fact from what I see of his career, I would have probably stuck with Conley. We'll see who the choice is, but while McBriar is more experienced, I probably would have stuck with the younger leg.

Its a ****ing Punter, dude.

I dont think Westy ever forgave Weatherford for that fake punt run attempt for like 30 yards where he came up just short (cant remember the game) but it looked like it was Weatherfords decision and Westy wasnt happy.

That and the fact that he was completely useless for the Jets come playoff time in both of his years here couldn't have helped too much either.

Archived