Question for XO guys re: Reggie Bush

JerryK

Since we may draft late, this is probably moot, but here's my question....

Similar to the old debate of whether the OL makes the RB or the RB makes the OL, I'm wondering if Lienart is making defenses respect the pass, helping the team use a good back like Reggie. How would a 22 year old Lamont Jordan have done with this USC team?

If there's any truth to that, Bush could still be very good in the NFL, but perhaps not great.

Am I nuts?

No you are very correct. Bush can cut on a dime though and does have some rare ability. But he does not come without questions. He is not a sure fire superstar by any stretch.

Leinart plays a big part in making bush look great and so does L White and the USC O Line.

if Jets fans have learned anything this year, its that there are no superstars at the "skill" positions when you have a lousy offensive line. I look at Denver--they are never short of productive RB's. Why? They open gaping holes and have a fast, disciplined, incredibly well-coached line. Hell, even Ron Dayne looked good for them last week. Add an exceptional back and an very good QB and every position is bound to excel simply due to the number of weapons opposing teams have to scheme for. I guarantee Peyton Manning's numbers would not be what thay are if he didn't have Edge and the play-action. Bush's fate will depend largely on what team he winds up with. If it's the Texans, he'll bust. If it's Detroit, Tennessee, or Green Bay, he's got a fighting chance.

Cmon Jerry...I know you are dying to follow it up with:

SPEND 98% of the cap on the offensive line and you will win it all.

:mrgreen:

Someday I hope a team does it. Just for you! Maybe you can win PowerBall and buy a team just to test your theory.

Cmon Jerry...I know you are dying to follow it up with:

SPEND 98% of the cap on the offensive line and you will win it all.

:mrgreen:

Someday I hope a team does it. Just for you! Maybe you can win PowerBall and buy a team just to test your theory.

You won't believe this, but when I started this thread I hadn't even thought of that. I was mostly wondering if given the choice, Lienart or even other players might bring us better returns than Reggie.

But on the other hand, If I do win 300million+ and can buy a franchise, that team will have a 200M OL. :D

You won't believe this, but when I started this thread I hadn't even thought of that. I was mostly wondering if given the choice, Lienart or even other players might bring us better returns than Reggie.

But on the other hand, If I do win 300million+ and can buy a franchise, that team will have a 200M OL. :D

Damn the cap is like half of that amount. You are the next Daniel Synder with your illegal payments!

There is no doubt Bush and Leinart benefit from not only a great OL, but great WR/TE etc. It's a great program from toe to top, in some senses that can be looked at as a penalty against a draft prospect. What is more impressive the guy that dominates the competition with no help or the guy that dominates with a ton of help?

That being said the situation these players Bush and leinart get drafted into will be very important with regards to their ultimate success in the league. Both need a quality OL to really excel.

Leinart is neither the most durable nor the most strong armed fellow and will need a couple years to marinate e.g. Chad Pennington. He has had elbow surgery already so there are concerns there.

Bush especially will need help, someone will have to build an entire playbook around the guy, make sure he gets touches in a passing offense, not necessarily between the tackles e.g. Marshall Faulk or Brian Westbrook.

neither of these picks are as cut and dried as taking a guy like DBrickashaw Ferguson and planting him at LT for next decade.

Archived