Holmes Says Tebow Trade ‘Rattled’ Jets’ Sanchez Tags: Leak, Siv, Cancer

THE ILK

tim-tebow-mark-sanchez.jpg?w=300

(credit: Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images)

Filed under

Jets, Radio.com - Sports, Sports

Related tags

Mark Sanchez, New York Jets, Rex Ryan, Santonio Holmes, Shonn Greene, Tebowmania, Tim Tebow

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) – Santonio Holmes was chatting with Mark Sanchez in late March, the two rebuilding their fractured relationship, when the conversation turned to their newest teammate.

The Jets had traded for Tim Tebow earlier that day, and the news caught them by surprise – especially Sanchez. An already tumultuous offseason had taken an unexpected turn for the Jets quarterback.

“I think since Day 1, it was a focus that kind of rattled him a little,” Holmes revealed Wednesday. “And I use that word only to say that, `Wow. How did this happen?’ Those were words that came out of his mouth.

“But I think he understands now that his role is to be the New York Jets’ starting quarterback and Tebow is here to help us win as many games as he can help us win.”

That’s the plan, at least. But it hasn’t been an easy road for Sanchez.

There has been lots of criticism from fans and media, and even anonymous teammates in the offseason. The Jets briefly flirted with the idea of bringing in Peyton Manning, and then came the big trade.

Even Holmes couldn’t believe it when he first heard it, waiting until he saw the news on television.

“When it happened, I honestly didn’t know what to think,” he said. “I didn’t know whether we were getting rid of Mark or whether we were bringing in a new quarterback or what. But when I talked to Rex Ryan, he kind of put me at ease.”

Holmes then gave Sanchez a pep talk, telling him to remember that he’s the starting quarterback and this is his team. He also said he has seen Sanchez “replacing himself from what he did last year,” and coming in with a confidence even he appreciates.

“I’m going to ride with him until the end,” Holmes said.

Still, the presence of the NFL’s most popular backup quarterback has many debating not if, but when Tebow will supplant Sanchez as the starter. The fact Sanchez and the first-team offense failed to score a touchdown in the preseason didn’t help, and neither did owner Woody Johnson recently saying that “you can never have too much Tebow.”

“He’s selling seats, man,” Sanchez said with a big grin. “Sellin’ seats.”

“Obviously Tim helps us,” he added. “He can run it. He can throw it. He can do it all. Hopefully we’ll give teams their fair share of Tebow and see what they can do.”

Through it all, Sanchez has been saying all the right things and his coaches and teammates have noticed — even if NFL great Joe Theismann wants to see less of the Mr. Nice Guy act.

“I don’t think he gets enough credit for that,” running back Shonn Greene said. “I think a lot of other people in that situation would break down or something like that.”

Sanchez has instead played the part of the team leader, rebounding from his most disappointing season with a focus on returning the Jets to the playoffs and taking charge of the locker room – something that was lacking last season.

“I think it’s human nature to want to hesitate after a tough year like last year,” Sanchez said, “but you have to fight that and really attack it and that’s what I’m trying to do.”

He came into training camp in the best physical shape of his NFL career and with the biggest challenge to his starting job since he was drafted fifth overall by New York in 2009.

As the Jets prepare for the season opener against the Buffalo Bills Sunday, a lot of the focus has been on Tebow and how the team will use him on offense. He’s clearly the backup, but with a do-it-all job description. That could mean Sanchez coming off the field and Tebow seeing as many as 20 snaps a game.

“I mean, I have to play the cards I’m dealt here,” Sanchez said. “Keep working hard and leading this team, and do everything I can. It’s our job to work together, Tim and I, so that’s what we’ll do for the betterment of the team.”

As for Sanchez, much of the team’s success rests on how he handles the pressure of being the second-most popular quarterback on the team, and the guy who needs to take the next step in his development in order to get the Jets back to the postseason.

“As a rookie, he was looked at as a weakness on our football team,” coach Rex Ryan said. “And I said there’s going to be a day where he’s looked at as the strength of our team and not a weakness.

“I think that day is right now.”

Sanchez has talked in the past about how he wondered about the doubts that crept into teammates’ minds about him. But he never felt, even in private moments, that he was a weak member of the team.

“No, not at all,” he said. “I just don’t think like that. I don’t think you can, playing this position. You can’t last very long (if you do).”

Greene, who was in the same draft class as Sanchez, insisted that no one in his three-plus seasons has worked harder than the quarterback, from the early morning arrivals to study film and work out to lots of extra time after practice and into the night.

“That’s a tough guy right there who does all of those things and takes criticism as well as he does and keeps working hard,” Greene said. “I never could see him being the weakest link of this team.”

Wide receiver Patrick Turner has played with Sanchez since their days at Southern California together, and he thinks the quarterback is taking “more of a business approach” these days. That means focusing on the task at hand and blocking out all of the outside chatter.

“He’s always been a leader, and an example of that is how he handled the whole situation with Tebow,” Turner said. “People were really looking for something, but he handled it maturely and accepted him as a teammate. He could’ve really approached it different. But that’s what leaders do, they handle things like that well. He’s done little things day in and day out.”

That includes getting on teammates when they miss an assignment, run a wrong route or anything else that might hinder a drive. That’s the aspect of being a leader that Sanchez had to gradually learn to become comfortable with.

“The toughest part is really ripping somebody,” he said. “It just (stinks). You don’t want to be a Debbie Downer out there, but at the same time, I’m going to be the one holding the football and I’m going to be the one standing at the podium talking to you guys after the game. I’ll fall on the sword every time, but those guys have got to make catches, they’ve got to run the right route, they’ve got to be where they’re supposed to be and be accountable.

“And it’s my job to hold them accountable.”

During training camp, Sanchez talked about how he tells the players that it’s “my huddle” and he added Wednesday that it’s a “serious” place to be. Everyone needs to do their jobs – or everyone suffers.

“We’re all in this thing together,” Sanchez said. “We have to hold each other accountable, and it starts with the quarterback.”

NOTES: TE Dustin Keller (hamstring) and S Eric Smith (hip, knee) didn’t participate in practice, but Keller thinks he’ll be ready to play Sunday. … Ryan acknowledged that many people picking the Jets to finish third in the AFC East is a motivating force for him. “Does it drive you a little bit? I’d be lying if I told you it didn’t,” he said. “Of course it does. Human nature is like, `I want to show you.’ That’s exactly how I am. I’ve grown up that way all my life. There are smarter guys than me, and better looking, but I’m going to show you. There’s a reason I’m here today.” He added that the Jets are comfortable in the underdog role. “I think we’re right where we need to be,” he said.

Have you been impressed by Sanchez’s poise in the middle of the Tebow tornado? Be heard in the comments below…

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tim-tebow-mark-sanchez.jpg?w=300

(credit: Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images)

Filed under

Jets, Radio.com - Sports, Sports

Related tags

Mark Sanchez, New York Jets, Rex Ryan, Santonio Holmes, Shonn Greene, Tebowmania, Tim Tebow

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) – Santonio Holmes was chatting with Mark Sanchez in late March, the two rebuilding their fractured relationship, when the conversation turned to their newest teammate.

The Jets had traded for Tim Tebow earlier that day, and the news caught them by surprise – especially Sanchez. An already tumultuous offseason had taken an unexpected turn for the Jets quarterback.

“I think since Day 1, it was a focus that kind of rattled him a little,” Holmes revealed Wednesday. “And I use that word only to say that, `Wow. How did this happen?’ Those were words that came out of his mouth.

“But I think he understands now that his role is to be the New York Jets’ starting quarterback and Tebow is here to help us win as many games as he can help us win.”

That’s the plan, at least. But it hasn’t been an easy road for Sanchez.

There has been lots of criticism from fans and media, and even anonymous teammates in the offseason. The Jets briefly flirted with the idea of bringing in Peyton Manning, and then came the big trade.

Even Holmes couldn’t believe it when he first heard it, waiting until he saw the news on television.

“When it happened, I honestly didn’t know what to think,” he said. “I didn’t know whether we were getting rid of Mark or whether we were bringing in a new quarterback or what. But when I talked to Rex Ryan, he kind of put me at ease.”

Holmes then gave Sanchez a pep talk, telling him to remember that he’s the starting quarterback and this is his team. He also said he has seen Sanchez “replacing himself from what he did last year,” and coming in with a confidence even he appreciates.

Still, the presence of the NFL’s most popular backup quarterback has many debating not if, but when Tebow will supplant Sanchez as the starter. The fact Sanchez and the first-team offense failed to score a touchdown in the preseason didn’t help, and neither did owner Woody Johnson recently saying that “you can never have too much Tebow.”

“He’s selling seats, man,” Sanchez said with a big grin. “Sellin’ seats.”

“Obviously Tim helps us,” he added. “He can run it. He can throw it. He can do it all. Hopefully we’ll give teams their fair share of Tebow and see what they can do.”

Through it all, Sanchez has been saying all the right things and his coaches and teammates have noticed — even if NFL great Joe Theismann wants to see less of the Mr. Nice Guy act.

“I don’t think he gets enough credit for that,” running back Shonn Greene said. “I think a lot of other people in that situation would break down or something like that.”

Sanchez has instead played the part of the team leader, rebounding from his most disappointing season with a focus on returning the Jets to the playoffs and taking charge of the locker room – something that was lacking last season.

“I think it’s human nature to want to hesitate after a tough year like last year,” Sanchez said, “but you have to fight that and really attack it and that’s what I’m trying to do.”

He came into training camp in the best physical shape of his NFL career and with the biggest challenge to his starting job since he was drafted fifth overall by New York in 2009.

As the Jets prepare for the season opener against the Buffalo Bills Sunday, a lot of the focus has been on Tebow and how the team will use him on offense. He’s clearly the backup, but with a do-it-all job description. That could mean Sanchez coming off the field and Tebow seeing as many as 20 snaps a game.

“I mean, I have to play the cards I’m dealt here,” Sanchez said. “Keep working hard and leading this team, and do everything I can. It’s our job to work together, Tim and I, so that’s what we’ll do for the betterment of the team.”

As for Sanchez, much of the team’s success rests on how he handles the pressure of being the second-most popular quarterback on the team, and the guy who needs to take the next step in his development in order to get the Jets back to the postseason.

“As a rookie, he was looked at as a weakness on our football team,” coach Rex Ryan said. “And I said there’s going to be a day where he’s looked at as the strength of our team and not a weakness.

“I think that day is right now.”

Sanchez has talked in the past about how he wondered about the doubts that crept into teammates’ minds about him. But he never felt, even in private moments, that he was a weak member of the team.

“No, not at all,” he said. “I just don’t think like that. I don’t think you can, playing this position. You can’t last very long (if you do).”

Greene, who was in the same draft class as Sanchez, insisted that no one in his three-plus seasons has worked harder than the quarterback, from the early morning arrivals to study film and work out to lots of extra time after practice and into the night.

“That’s a tough guy right there who does all of those things and takes criticism as well as he does and keeps working hard,” Greene said. “I never could see him being the weakest link of this team.”

Wide receiver Patrick Turner has played with Sanchez since their days at Southern California together, and he thinks the quarterback is taking “more of a business approach” these days. That means focusing on the task at hand and blocking out all of the outside chatter.

“He’s always been a leader, and an example of that is how he handled the whole situation with Tebow,” Turner said. “People were really looking for something, but he handled it maturely and accepted him as a teammate. He could’ve really approached it different. But that’s what leaders do, they handle things like that well. He’s done little things day in and day out.”

That includes getting on teammates when they miss an assignment, run a wrong route or anything else that might hinder a drive. That’s the aspect of being a leader that Sanchez had to gradually learn to become comfortable with.

“The toughest part is really ripping somebody,” he said. “It just (stinks). You don’t want to be a Debbie Downer out there, but at the same time, I’m going to be the one holding the football and I’m going to be the one standing at the podium talking to you guys after the game. I’ll fall on the sword every time, but those guys have got to make catches, they’ve got to run the right route, they’ve got to be where they’re supposed to be and be accountable.

“And it’s my job to hold them accountable.”

During training camp, Sanchez talked about how he tells the players that it’s “my huddle” and he added Wednesday that it’s a “serious” place to be. Everyone needs to do their jobs – or everyone suffers.

“We’re all in this thing together,” Sanchez said. “We have to hold each other accountable, and it starts with the quarterback.”

NOTES: TE Dustin Keller (hamstring) and S Eric Smith (hip, knee) didn’t participate in practice, but Keller thinks he’ll be ready to play Sunday. … Ryan acknowledged that many people picking the Jets to finish third in the AFC East is a motivating force for him. “Does it drive you a little bit? I’d be lying if I told you it didn’t,” he said. “Of course it does. Human nature is like, `I want to show you.’ That’s exactly how I am. I’ve grown up that way all my life. There are smarter guys than me, and better looking, but I’m going to show you. There’s a reason I’m here today.” He added that the Jets are comfortable in the underdog role. “I think we’re right where we need to be,” he said.

Have you been impressed by Sanchez’s poise in the middle of the Tebow tornado? Be heard in the comments below…

I have some advice for you Sanblowmeoh...catching a ****en pass that actually helps us win a game this year, stop whinning like a little bitch on the side lines like you did last year in the Miami game. How's that for advice and insight!

If you go to nyj.com you can see the whole 10 minute interview with Santonio. I watched it last night and the guy is still a friggin' prick.

No accountability, still referred to himself as a leader, and said Mark has improved in being a better teammate, QB, and friend. I think the guy really believes he was some kind of victim last year.

Holmes should never ever talk.

He also pretty much admits he will mail it in if Sanchez is benched.

He implied that he was freaking out at the thought of having to catch passes from Tebow and had to be calmed down by Rex.. While that may be true who the hell comes out and says that?

I wonder what the response would have been if the headline pulled this quote out of context instead of the other one. "Holmes Wants to Ride Sanchez." Or "Rex Eases Holmes Into Tebow."

If this sh*t is ok, I say at least have some fun with it.

Its hard to be a leader when you have not performed up to your own expectations. I think once Sanchez starts performing consistently his leadership will come through. Its human nature....You cant expect to lead when you dont perform.

A leader has to set an example for the rest of the team and call people out when needed (within the lockerroom of course) but when your turning the ball over and not playing well down the stretch I think its time for the COACH to inject some of his leadership into the team and Rex is quoted as saying "he had no idea his lockerroom was a mess since week three" To me thats inexcusable. Sure Sanchez gets down from time to time but it does not mean hes not capable of being a leader. If you ask me Rex was the guilty party here ...I mean WTF was he doing while all this sh*t was going on ? Eating ****ing snacks ?

Some may look at this as me sticking up for Sanchez because I see a lot of potential and Im not making excuses for his bad play down the stretch but its not all on Mark nor should it be.

Its hard to be a leader when you have not performed up to your own expectations. I think once Sanchez starts performing consistently his leadership will come through. Its human nature....You cant expect to lead when you dont perform.

A leader has to set an example for the rest of the team and call people out when needed (within the lockerroom of course) but when your turning the ball over and not playing well down the stretch I think its time for the COACH to inject some of his leadership into the team and Rex is quoted as saying "he had no idea his lockerroom was a mess since week three" To me thats inexcusable. Sure Sanchez gets down from time to time but it does not mean hes not capable of being a leader. If you ask me Rex was the guilty party here ...I mean WTF was he doing while all this sh*t was going on ? Eating ****ing snacks ?

Some may look at this as me sticking up for Sanchez because I see a lot of potential and Im not making excuses for his bad play down the stretch but its not all on Mark nor should it be.

This....is the best assessment to date of the situation.

Hey remember he did say its his huddle buster!

Rex may be eating snacks but #6 eats HOTDOGS BABY!

Hey remember he did say its his huddle buster!

Rex may be eating snacks but #6 eats HOTDOGS BABY!

well yeah a QB must command the huddle theres no choice in the matter . I think when Sanchez came into this league he was a yes sir kinda guy . I think he needs to get back some of his own fire and take charge. Hopefully Sparano will push for that and give Mark what he needs and thats a bit more control. Untie the kids hands and let him do what he needs to do. This upcomming year is going to say a lot about him and this franchize if Im Sanchez Im taking control of the situation and this offense

Wonder how big the party was that the Steelers F/O had after hustling Tannenbaum and Rex with this trade.

They are probably still laughing.

wait hustling ? We got Holmes for a 5th rounder. The really stupid part came the next year when we signed him to a 50 million dollar contract. That was beyond belief.

That being Said Holmes can turn it around if we get some real WR production on the other side and take some pressure off him . I think we learned last year Holmes cant do it by himself hes just not big and physical enough to be the only guy and constant double teams made it very difficult on him. The way to utilize holmes is to get him in space so he can make plays. he could have a big comeback year ....Weather you like the guy or not thats pretty much all there is on Holmes.

Rex, the OLine, Weapons, RB's - all the reasons Sanchez fails. Nothing to do with Sanchez. Thats what I got from this post.

Wonder how big the party was that the Steelers F/O had after hustling Tannenbaum and Rex with this trade.

Yes, that 5th rounder that got them Chris Carter and his 1 tackle in the last 2 years is ****ing hilarious.

Meh, I still say they could and should have gotten more than a 5th rounder for him, even if he was in the last year of his deal. If there's anything anyone is laughing about, its the fact that we gave him a $50M extension.

And even THEN, the extension would have made sense if we didn't have a sh*t QB and a run-first mentality. He's a talented player and has shown WR1 ability, he just doesn't have a QB capable of using him correctly. He was the wrong fit for Sanchez and now he's the wrong fit for Sparano's scheme. The fact that he's a diva certainly compounds matters, but it isn't the biggest reason why the extension was a bad move.

I still make that trade 10 times out of 10. Had he been just a 1-year rental (who did win us a couple of games in 2010) no one would be complaining about that lost 5th.

Yes, that 5th rounder that got them Chris Carter and his 1 tackle in the last 2 years is ****ing hilarious.

Ask the Steelers if they would like to have him back for Chris Carter.

Im sure the Steelers would say it was addition by subtraction. Dude is a egotistical punk.

I know the chances are slim because aside from being who he is Holmes is a pretty good player but I hope Hill pans out and takes his #1 spot before the year is out.

Rex, the OLine, Weapons, RB's - all the reasons Sanchez fails. Nothing to do with Sanchez. Thats what I got from this post.

You didnt get that from the post at all . You came to this conclusion because you know me and how I feel about our offensive talent. Our Talent is mediocre on every level. It seems now more and more of the talking heads are coming to this conclusion as well. While thats nothing to hang my hat on I think its obvious this team is in dire need of a dynamic player on offense and we have not had one for many many years.

Jets fans always over estimate our players talent based on some glimses of greatness but part of being great is doing it consistently which is the kind of player we lack.

Jets fans always over estimate our players talent based on some glimpses of greatness but part of being great is doing it consistently which is the kind of player we lack.

lol. Couldn't your statement above apply to your view of Sanchez?

No one is saying our offensive talent is full of world-beaters. The point is that good QB's don't NEED the talent around them to be world-beaters. We've seen teams with good QB's who start out the season with OL problems and injuries somehow "come together".

The Bears with Jay Cutler and the Giants come to mind. The Bears O-Line was awful the early part of the 2010 season, yet Chicago ended up in the NFC Title game. Last year at this time no one knew who Victor Cruz was and Eli was scared for his life most of the season (he was pressured FAR MORE than Sanchez), yet they won the Super Bowl.

Why can't we do that?

It's as if Holmes can't help himself. This sounded like he was trying to actually defend Sanchez, but it comes out all wrong and ends up subtly dissing both Sanchez and Tebow.

Pretty much this. It's like the douhebag level is so deep with Holmes it can't be helped. And rying to makes things better only makes things worse. In Indonesia I think they just kill these kinds of people.

It's as if Holmes can't help himself. This sounded like he was trying to actually defend Sanchez, but it comes out all wrong and ends up subtly dissing both Sanchez and Tebow.

go watch the interview... he genuinely thinks he's being magnanimous while saying that Mark has become a better "friend".. it's actually kind of funny.

well yeah a QB must command the huddle theres no choice in the matter . I think when Sanchez came into this league he was a yes sir kinda guy . I think he needs to get back some of his own fire and take charge. Hopefully Sparano will push for that and give Mark what he needs and thats a bit more control. Untie the kids hands and let him do what he needs to do. This upcomming year is going to say a lot about him and this franchize if Im Sanchez Im taking control of the situation and this offense

I genuinely hope you are right about this. Time to cut him loose and see what he has instead of protecting him with this small ball offense. Hey, if it doesnt work out at least they know its time to move on with another draft pick or a veteran that becomes available.

Ask the Steelers if they would like to have him back for Chris Carter.

Im sure the Steelers would say it was addition by subtraction. Dude is a egotistical punk.

I know the chances are slim because aside from being who he is Holmes is a pretty good player but I hope Hill pans out and takes his #1 spot before the year is out.

No matter what the Steelers would tell me if I had the ability to ask this question, the Jets still got the better deal. Really not even close. Holmes is by far, not even close, the best offensive weapon on the Jets, which isnt saying much but it only cost them a 5ht rounder.

You didnt get that from the post at all . You came to this conclusion because you know me and how I feel about our offensive talent. Our Talent is mediocre on every level. It seems now more and more of the talking heads are coming to this conclusion as well. While thats nothing to hang my hat on I think its obvious this team is in dire need of a dynamic player on offense and we have not had one for many many years.

Jets fans always over estimate our players talent based on some glimses of greatness but part of being great is doing it consistently which is the kind of player we lack.

I know, I was just busting your balls. But I could have sworn I saw a post by you recently talking about how much you like the Jets receivers...

Thinking about it more, I'm not so sure the Jets were in the wrong to give Holmes that extension. Remember:

1) It's not as if the Jets were competing against themselves for Santonio. When he was a free agent, he was considered one of the top commodities that offseason. There were reports of several teams interested in him if the Jets hadn't locked him up.

2) The Jets had already determined they were going to let go of Braylon (still a wise decision in hindsight) and didn't want Sanchez to go into 2011 with Keller and LT as his primary passing options.

3) Tying into the above point, the Jets were coming off another AFC Title game appearance, and were hoping to build on this by joining the rest of the league as more of a passing team. Sanchez was in Year 3, entering "put up or shut up" for a young QB, and this move was geared towards it.

It hasn't worked out, and there is plenty of blame to go around for it. But looking back, the trade was a very good move and the extension became a necessity.

No matter what the Steelers would tell me if I had the ability to ask this question, the Jets still got the better deal. Really not even close. Holmes is by far, not even close, the best offensive weapon on the Jets, which isnt saying much but it only cost them a 5ht rounder.

I know, I was just busting your balls. But I could have sworn I saw a post by you recently talking about how much you like the Jets receivers...

yeah JIF I do like the Jets Receivers and you know Ive been calling for changes for years. Hopefully we made the right moves. That being said Hill is an unproven rookie and Chaz needs to stay healthy if they can not produce and stretch the field like we need them too it will focus the defense on Holmes and the running game until they do produce. We will have to see how all that plays out

Archived