Holmes Says Tebow Trade ‘Rattled’ Jets’ Sanchez Tags: Leak, Siv, Cancer

THE ILK

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well " the best offensive weapon on the Jets" as you say, was a major contributor to the teams meltdown during the late season swoon when they should have been making a playoff run. Have you forgotten how he was kicked out of the huddle and sat down cause he was undermining Sanchez? He seriously needed to get punched in the face. Talented? yes, team guy and leader? Definately not. Steelers are probably the best run franchise in the league. That speaks volumes to me. They didnt get stupid all of a sudden and make a dumb trade.

The Steelers are a very well run team that seems to have a great sense of when it's time to let a player go, but the Holmes trade was not one of those very smart moves. Holmes was traded only because Big Ben is a big rapist. There were too many negative offseason headlines for Piitsburgh, and the WR was going to go before the franchise QB. If Ben hadnt gotten into his troubles, they would've absorbed Holmes' transgressions.

The smart business move with Holmes would've been to have him play out his rookie deal, let him walk in free agency, and then pick up a 3rd round compensatory pick. The track they look to be on with Mike Wallace.

Criticize Tanny all you like, but getting a talent like Holmes for a fifth rounder was a good move.

Then, shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shalt be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.

False prophet!

Holmes is the least trustworthy athlete I've witnessed in a long time. He doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut. There is absolutely no reason why he should be revealing private statements made in confidence by one of his teammates.

In regard to the content of their conversation, is this really surprising?

The Jets invited this type of dynamic into their locker room by willingly acquiring the most polarizing player in the NFL. Rex was blinded by a "good football player," Woody had his eyes on the money and attention, and everybody in the organization ignored the inevitable dilemma staring them in the face.

This is the year the Jets need to decide whether they are going to build around Sanchez as their future or move on. Tim Tebow is not the answer, and he's only going to complicate the necessary evaluation even more.

Tim Tebow is not the answer, and he's only going to complicate the necessary evaluation even more.

what's so complicated? if sanchez is good, tebow sits. If sanchez stinks, tebow plays. I don't understand why it's so terrible to have this other qb option on the team. Before when all they had was Mark Brunell, Sanchez was the only choice by default. Now he has to be better than Tebow. That's an improvement. What if Mark gets hurt? It will be nice to have a legitimate backup plan.

what's so complicated? if sanchez is good, tebow sits. If sanchez stinks, tebow plays. I don't understand why it's so terrible to have this other qb option on the team. Before when all they had was Mark Brunell, Sanchez was the only choice by default. Now he has to be better than Tebow. That's an improvement. What if Mark gets hurt? It will be nice to have a legitimate backup plan.

Thing is, Tebow is not a legitimate backup plan. The guy sucks at playing quarterback. As a gadget player he might have some value. But he's an awful quarterback.

Good read. Holmes is a great teammate, a true Jet and leader. Love having this guy on my team.

Sounds like they all have the right perspective.

I'm looking forward to a great season watching the Sanchez to Holmes combo take the league by storm!

agreed

Thing is, Tebow is not a legitimate backup plan. The guy sucks at playing quarterback. As a gadget player he might have some value. But he's an awful quarterback.

they could run a gadget offense and win 9 or 10 games. It's not ideal but a better plan than McElroy.

This is where we differ ... I view Tebow as a huge distraction, not a legitimate backup plan.

they could run a gadget offense and win 9 or 10 games. It's not ideal but a better plan than McElroy.

What is the goal ... to win 9 games or championships?

Tebow can beat up on average and below average teams, but his style of play does not translate to championships and success against the good and great teams.

The better plan would have been to go to war with Sanchez, Stanton, and McElroy. If Sanchez fails this year, then we draft a QB early and move on. Instead, we are stuck with the Tebow problem ... distractions and mediocrity.

i see alot of these all or nothing choices but the situations are so hypothetical. Like if the Jets didn't have Tebow, they'd be more likely to win a championship. How can that be proven?

the way i see it is simple, they are a better football team with him than without him. a distraction can be many things. Who is Tebow distracting? is it Sanchez? Or is it the NY Media? how many Tebow stories would be Holmes/Revis/Cro stories instead?

If Sanchez fails this year, then we draft a QB early and move on. Instead, we are stuck with the Tebow problem ... distractions and mediocrity.

this statement also neglects the Sanchez extension, which had nothing to do with Tebow. The Jets needed to extend Mark to make Salary cap room. With or without Tebow they can't get rid of Mark until after 2013 season. Chances are high that Tebow leaves the Jets before Sanchez does. Keep in mind it's easy for you and I the fans to say Mark sucks let's move on. If Tanny has to say to WOody, hey you know that guy I told you to pay 50+ million dollars to, he's not the one... well, that could be his job. Is Sanchez fails people will get fired.

Tebow can beat up on average and below average teams, but his style of play does not translate to championships and success against the good and great teams.

last years Steelers team was average now?

The better plan would have been to go to war with Sanchez, Stanton, and McElroy. If Sanchez fails this year, then we draft a QB early and move on. Instead, we are stuck with the Tebow problem ... distractions and mediocrity.

Okay, so every team in the league is supposed to have a championship plan in place with their backup QB?

Just my opinion, people who think that Tebow is "just a backup QB" are only fooling themselves. His starting days in the NFL are not over, and guess what, he's on our roster. If you can't see that he muddies the waters on this team, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Good teams are not built around the skill set of a player who belongs in a completely different era of football. At some point, we'll have to embrace Tebow as our starter. In my opinion, it's inevitable, and it's not the direction I want to see this team take.

The problem is because the Jets other QB option should be capable of playing QB. The Jets would have been much better off looking towards the future, and trying to find an option in the draft, which they delayed by at least one year with the asinine Tebow trade, and possibly even more if they decide to waste time on some idiotic Sanchez / Tebow competition next year after the very likely circumstances of having another season of crappy QB play out of one or both.

Just my opinion, people who think that Tebow is "just a backup QB" are only fooling themselves. His starting days in the NFL are not over, and guess what, he's on our roster. If you can't see that he muddies the waters on this team, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Good teams are not built around the skill set of a player who belongs in a completely different era of football. At some point, we'll have to embrace Tebow as our starter. In my opinion, it's inevitable, and it's not the direction I want to see this team take.

The cynical part of me agrees. And I think that's why Sanchez was 'rattled.' Tebow's the only QB in the NFL I would have said was definitely worse than he was last year.

That said, I listened to the Holmes interview, and I really think that Holmes was on Sanchez's side here. "Rattled" may not have been the right word to use, because it makes Sanchez sound fragile, but Sanchez being stunned wouldn't surprise me. I was pretty stunned myself. Plus, Holmes has nothing to gain if Tebow starts. Tebow isn't a good passer, and Holmes isn't going to be getting the ball more if Tebow starts. Sabotaging Sanchez only hurts him. If we can count on Holmes to be anything, it's selfish.

Tebow is not good enough to be a starter, but he is so good that he muddies the waters and his days as a starter are not over? Got it. He sucks, but he doesn't suck hard enough.

Let's all cry about something that hasn't happened yet and might never happen. Financially the team is indebted enough to Sanchez that I'd worry about that problem before I tried to start solving the Tebow issue.

Tebow is not good enough to be a starter, but he is so good that he muddies the waters and his days as a starter are not over? Got it. He sucks, but he doesn't suck hard enough.

If the goal is 6 to 9 wins and selling seats, then Tebow is your man. I didn't say he's not good enough to be a starter, I just don't want it to be on the Jets, and that's exactly the direction we are headed.

Bottom line, it's no surprise that Sanchez was "rattled" by the trade. He thought this was his team, but the writing is now on the wall.

He implied that he was freaking out at the thought of having to catch passes from Tebow and

had to be calmed down by Rex.. While that may be true who the hell comes out and says that?

Wow, I can certainly see why he'd say that.

After all, Tebow never helped any of UF's WR/TE/RB's win anything and then move on to the NFL.

And the fact that in 2010 Tebow had as good or better numbers with Pro Bowl WR B.Lloyd,

as 7th year Vet Orton should also worry ole homey. (18.8 yds/catch with a TD per 7 receptions)

Besides, Sandy will not be catching any passes from the Jet QB who can't even throw a football.

So 'No Worries' mates... :animal0029:

If the goal is 6 to 9 wins and selling seats, then Tebow is your man. I didn't say he's not good enough to be a starter, I just don't want it to be on the Jets, and that's exactly the direction we are headed.

Bottom line, it's no surprise that Sanchez was "rattled" by the trade. He thought this was his team, but the writing is now on the wall.

No offense, but if you think Tebow is "good enough to be a starter" then there is no reason to believe that his limit is 6-9 wins. The guy is a project and not a good passer, but there is some upside there. If Sanchez is "rattled" by this trade then he is a little bitch who'd better get over it. If he wants it to be his team he only has to do one thing: perform. If you do your job you keep the team. If you don't, you should be rattled. Or throttled. Whichever.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember last week when you liked or skills positions? I do.

First of all I never said I was happy with our skill positions EVER anyone on this board will back me on that assessment. I said I was happy that we finally decided to get some WR's in here. I was happy with the Hill and Schilens moves but that we had regressed at the RB position. Weather these moves at WR pan out is still up for debate.

yeah JIF I do like the Jets Receivers and you know Ive been calling for changes for years. Hopefully we made the right moves. That being said Hill is an unproven rookie and Chaz needs to stay healthy if they can not produce and stretch the field like we need them too it will focus the defense on Holmes and the running game until they do produce. We will have to see how all that plays out

I highlighted some key words in my post to help you with reading comprehension (you know like the Highlights books used to do ) Im not sure where I said i was happy with the Jets skill positions like you claim. All I said was that I was happy with some of the moves the Jets made at WR since I had been calling for them to do so for years. I have made it painfully clear all over this forum that the Jets lack Skill players over all on offense and at the RB position. So once again JIF Im not the one spinning nor do I care to spin on a freakin football message board... WTF is the point ?

Archived