Rex: Jets Fans Can Scream For Tebow, But I’m The Boss

THE ILK

rex-ryan-new-york-jets.jpg?w=300

(credit: Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images)

Filed under

Jets, Radio.com - Sports, Sports, Syndicated Sports

Related tags

Jets fans, Jim Leonhard, Mark Sanchez, MetLife Stadium, New York Jets, Rex Ryan, Tim Tebow

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – MarkSanchez insists the Jets’ no-show-August offense has been saving the “good stuff” for the regular season.

Sanchez better hope he can get it working in the opener against Buffalo on Sunday. Especially with the Tebowmaniacs at MetLife Stadium ready to flex their vocal chords for the Jets’ high-profile backup.

But coach Rex Ryan said Thursday he’ll have his starting quarterback on a long leash — no matter how much noise is made for Tim Tebow.

“I don’t care what I hear,” Ryan told the New York Daily News. “So it doesn’t matter. They can yell, they can do all they want. Mark is our quarterback and that’s just the way it is. Am I excited to have Tim here? Of course. Because I know we brought in an outstanding football player. I knew that from day one and that’s the way it is.”

Jets fans haven’t always been kind to Sanchez. The quarterback, who unquestionably regressed in his third year, was booed with vigor before and during New York’s Week 12 win last season. Former Jets safety Jim Leonhard heard the pre-game jeers and later told WFAN he was “disappointed” and “frustrated” by them.

Sanchez didn’t get that kind of treatment on the road. It was at MetLife Stadium, against the Buffalo Bills.

Sound familiar?

“I hope the fans are always supportive of us. I understand if things aren’t going well that they have every right to voice their displeasure,” Ryan told the Daily News. “But there is only one guy that ultimately would make a change at quarterback.”

Translation: I’m the boss, I’ll make the call. But as we know, things can change in a New York minute.

Stay tuned.

Are you convinced the crowd will turn on Sanchez at some point this season? Be heard in the comments below…

But coach Rex Ryan said Thursday he’ll have his starting quarterback on a long leash — no matter how much noise is made for Tim Tebow.

“I don’t care what I hear,” Ryan told the New York Daily News. “So it doesn’t matter. They can yell, they can do all they want. Mark is our quarterback and that’s just the way it is.

And there is the quote that will be brought up after a week 3 loss to Miami..... ah hell... even I cant see us losing to the dollfins. Make that Week 4 loss to the 49ers.

Some things will never change...

The media will be all over him to make a change to Teblow as soon as Sanchize struggles... will start after our loss to the steelers and will gain momentum after our loss to the 49ers....

And the retarded fans around here will be calling for his head on sunday about 1:07 when he throws a bad pass to a wide open receiver... and the press will be tweeting "teblow time"

The media will be all over him to make a change to Teblow as soon as Sanchize struggles... will start after our loss to the steelers and will gain momentum after our loss to the 49ers....

And the retarded fans around here will be calling for his head on sunday about 1:07 when he throws a bad pass to a wide open receiver... and the press will be tweeting "teblow time"

But who will be leading teh best season evah brigade?

Actually, I see things playing out a little differently. The Jets have a distinctive advantage hosting a west coast team in a 1:00 game and while the 49ers defense may cause the Jets offense problems, the same will be true for the Jets D and 49ers O, so I think there's a good chance the Jets can actually pull that one off. That will be the point in the season we see every year where every analyst who has been sh*t-talking the Jets for the past 6 months starts sucking them off endlessly. From there, the Jets will undoubtedly be losing some games and that's when things will crash down even harder after the build-up. Then sh*t will really hit the fan. The Jets sucking out of the gate after a offseason/preseason where they've been endlessly trashed doesn't pack enough punch on it's own.

Actually, I see things playing out a little differently. The Jets have a distinctive advantage hosting a west coast team in a 1:00 game and while the 49ers defense may cause the Jets offense problems, the same will be true for the Jets D and 49ers O, so I think there's a good chance the Jets can actually pull that one off. That will be the point in the season we see every year where every analyst who has been sh*t-talking the Jets for the past 6 months starts sucking them off endlessly. From there, the Jets will undoubtedly be losing some games and that's when things will crash down even harder after the build-up. Then sh*t will really hit the fan. The Jets sucking out of the gate after a offseason/preseason where they've been endlessly trashed doesn't pack enough punch on it's own.

I agree. That game doesn't really scare me. I think it'll be similar to the Jets loss in Denver last year; a game they should've won, but the travel circumstances were too much to overcome. That, and I think SF is seriously overrated.

hahahahahah!!! You nailed this perfectly. You are a true suffering Jets fan. And I hope this doesnt happen this year, but fear it will happen exactly as you wrote.

I agree. That game doesn't really scare me. I think it'll be similar to the Jets loss in Denver last year; a game they should've won, but the travel circumstances were too much to overcome. That, and I think SF is seriously overrated.

I completely agree! 49ers get praised for being almost the same team we are, its insane. Not going to have anywhere NEAR the year they had last year. Alex Smith is still Alex Smith.

Tebow will be QB vs Frisco, since he is babyjesusmon, jets should win

Lol. Yeah, it was the travel that did them in that game.

Lol. Yeah, it was the travel that did them in that game.

They played Sunday Night and traveled to play at Denver (a difficult road game in any situation) on a Thursday night. That game was a loss as soon as the schedule was published.

Completely agree on both counts. While they'll still likely control their own division, with having to face the NFC North and AFC East this year (plus last season's fellow NFC division winners in the Saints and Giants), the 9ers aren't going to live up to the hype they've built up from last year.

They played Sunday Night and traveled to play at Denver (a difficult road game in any situation) on a Thursday night. That game was a loss as soon as the schedule was published.

Game was a loss once the schedule was published? So, when the Jets were winning late in the game, you would have been shocked had Sanchez not thrown that pick or had the defense came up with a stop?

Travel is not insignificant. But, to say it's the reason they lost... Come on.

Wish I could blame it all on the travel...

Game was a loss once the schedule was published? So, when the Jets were winning late in the game, you would have been shocked had Sanchez not thrown that pick or had the defense came up with a stop?

Travel is not insignificant. But, to say it's the reason they lost... Come on.

Wish I could blame it all on the travel...

I'm not a big fan of excuses, but an extra short week traveling to Mile High Stadium? There's a reason the defense was gassed at the end of that game, and it had very much to do with the travel circumstances.

He knows whats coming... He knows the Teblow sh*t storm is about to roll in like a dust cloud in Phoenix. And sadly his words will come back to bite him in the ass... either by not making a change when needed, or making a change and getting called out for it. He;s in a no-win situation.

I would have to agree with that....hopefully we won't have to wrry about it come sunday because our offense will be seemless....

I would have to agree with that....hopefully we won't have to wrry about it come sunday because our offense will be seemless....

I would love to see that as well, but lets be honest, if we cannot establish the running game early, there is almost no chance of that.

The key is going to be how well we can run the ball early on.

I would love to see that as well, but lets be honest, if we cannot establish the running game early, there is almost no chance of that.

The key is going to be how well we can run the ball early on.

You my friend are 10000% correct....

This is going to get ugly.

Media and Tebow fanatics will be relentless.

And it will be too much to handle.

We have to face it...we have some fans who are just T-bo fans, not Jet fans.

Just like the Knicks had fans who were just J-Lin fans, not Knick fans.

Kind of stinks!

This is going to get ugly.

Media and Tebow fanatics will be relentless.

And it will be too much to handle.

This is my fear as well.

I think most people can agree that the offense was bad last year, and we're fielding basically the same exact unit minus Burress, plus Hill. I'd like to believe that a change in coordinators will help, but let's be honest, the problems went beyond Schottenheimer.

It's just a matter of time before the three and outs and turnovers are piling up yet again, and cries for Tebow easily squash arguments of patience.

Rex can't ignore reality forever.

We have to face it...we have some fans who are just T-bo fans, not Jet fans.

Just like the Knicks had fans who were just J-Lin fans, not Knick fans.

Kind of stinks!

Yup, it really stinks, that was why I was so against bringing him in, throw in the fact that we could have solidified the line, this could be disaster

Archived