Vilma wins

CobraVerde

Courts overturn Saints Players Suspensions

September 7, 2012 4:21 pm

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e

ye-on-football/20094247/saints-play

ers-win-appeal-versus-nfl-on-bounty

-suspensions

This means that Jonathan Vilma and Will Smith can play for the Saints on Sunday, that Scott Fujita can play for the Browns on Sunday, and that Anthony Hargrove, currently a free agent, is free to sign with any team.

"The appeals court has vacated suspensions and the players are free to play this weekend," Vilma's attorney Peter Ginsburg said in a statement. "Jonathan has fought long and hard to obtain justice. If he can walk out on the field this weekend, it will be an extraordinary moment in his life. Hopefully everyone involved, including Commissioner Goodell, can put this behind them."

The NFL has already confirmed that Goodell will re-hear the discipline for the players based on the "pay-for-performance" status of the case, but also confirmed that the players are eligible to play beginning this weekend.

"Consistent with the panel's decision, Commissioner Goodell will, as directed, make an expedited etermination of the discipline imposed for violating the league's pay-for-performance/bounty rule," the NFL said in a statement. "Until that determination is made the four players are reinstated and eligible to play starting this weekend.

Jonathan Vilma tweeted this just now:

"Victory Is Mine! - Stewie Griffin

Courts overturn Saints Players Suspensions

September 7, 2012 4:21 pm

http://www.cbssports.../>-suspensions

This means that Jonathan Vilma and Will Smith can play for the Saints on Sunday, that Scott Fujita can play for the Browns on Sunday, and that Anthony Hargrove, currently a free agent, is free to sign with any team.

"The appeals court has vacated suspensions and the players are free to play this weekend," Vilma's attorney Peter Ginsburg said in a statement. "Jonathan has fought long and hard to obtain justice. If he can walk out on the field this weekend, it will be an extraordinary moment in his life. Hopefully everyone involved, including Commissioner Goodell, can put this behind them."

The NFL has already confirmed that Goodell will re-hear the discipline for the players based on the "pay-for-performance" status of the case, but also confirmed that the players are eligible to play beginning this weekend.

"Consistent with the panel's decision, Commissioner Goodell will, as directed, make an expedited etermination of the discipline imposed for violating the league's pay-for-performance/bounty rule," the NFL said in a statement. "Until that determination is made the four players are reinstated and eligible to play starting this weekend.

Jonathan Vilma tweeted this just now:

"Victory Is Mine! - Stewie Griffin

Wait... you mean they're innocent until proven guilty???? Whoever heard of such nonsense?

F*CK Roger Goodell!!!!

Wait... you mean they're innocent until proven guilty????

This has nothing to do with innocent until proven guilty. The ruling isn't about Goodell's ability to impose discipline under the personnel conduct policy, which the panel recognized, or whether he had an adequate basis for doing so, which the panel didn't address because Goodell is the only avenue of substantive appeal on that. The problem is that the league, in listing the different ways that the bounty program could be construed as a violation of various league rules, included among other things the fact that the cash payments could be considered a violation of the salary cap. Even though Goodell can impose discipline under the personal conduct policy, he can't do it for salary cap violations, which are exclusively the provence of a special arbitrator, and the panel (frankly pretty disingenuously) decided that it was somehow unclear which he was trying to do. Declaring victory doesn't mean that Vilma has in any way been vindicated based on the panel's findings, and he's just going to get suspended again.

sorry, I forgot your opinion is the only one that matters

my bad

must be because I have you on ignore

Then you missed the good news, because the ruling isn't a green light for bounties as you feared, and the fact that it is being widely misreported and in any event probably too complicated for you to understand doesn't make it a matter of opinion.

Then you missed the good news, because the ruling isn't a green light for bounties as you feared, and the fact that it is being widely misreported and in any event probably too complicated for you to understand doesn't make it a matter of opinion.

I don't know why I even bother sometimes

These kinds of responses will not be tolerated...

This has nothing to do with innocent until proven guilty. The ruling isn't about Goodell's ability to impose discipline under the personnel conduct policy, which the panel recognized, or whether he had an adequate basis for doing so, which the panel didn't address because Goodell is the only avenue of substantive appeal on that. The problem is that the league, in listing the different ways that the bounty program could be construed as a violation of various league rules, included among other things the fact that the cash payments could be considered a violation of the salary cap. Even though Goodell can impose discipline under the personal conduct policy, he can't do it for salary cap violations, which are exclusively the provence of a special arbitrator, and the panel (frankly pretty disingenuously) decided that it was somehow unclear which he was trying to do. Declaring victory doesn't mean that Vilma has in any way been vindicated based on the panel's findings, and he's just going to get suspended again.

Oh.

These kinds of responses will not be tolerated...

They're tolerated all the time. I'd provide examples if you weren't already perfectly well aware of that. Observing a demonstrated unwillingness or inability to acknowledge objective fact is not a personal attack. I mean, I get it. Somebody put you in charge of keeping me on a short leash or whatever, but this is really a bit much.

I'm torn about this. I mean, I don't want the game to turn into "touch football" but I don't really want guys trying to injure other guys. Injuries are part of the game but you don't want people getting hurt on purpose.

Players have ALWAYS tried to injure others throughout the game of football. This is nothing new, only problem was it became public. And with a 24/7 news cycle this sh*t comes out now. It is embarrassing and i wish it didnt happen either, but it does and needs to be dealt with appropriately.

Biggest difference now are players are terrible at technique and try to make highlight plays. I say take their helmets off and let them play in those leather helmet thingies.

51-02064-Y.jpg

No NFL player hit anyone any harder that they would have anyway. It's a collision sport. These players understand perfectly well that the longer they play in the NFL the more likely they are to experience serious health problems later in life and that their lives will probably be shorter. Goodell did this only so when the old players' lawsuits wending their way through the courts right now get to depositions he can say some crap about how he tried to make the game safer. There is no way to make it safer, between equipment and the size, strenght and speed of the players. Every time you see Goodell in an interview he cannot use the word "safe" often enough. And if Jon Vilma or any of these guys want to play knowing the risks they should be allowed. Their career earning potential window is very short. To take away that opportunity is really rash. Goodell wants to be seen as doing something, but this wasn't fair or right.

As to equipment-if they went the no or minimal helmet rugby route you could eliminate a whole bunch of head problems. But you would also then see a whole load of catastrophic leg injuries-Leoan Johnson and Joe Theissmann several times a year. It's a pick your poison situation. The tradeoff with the helmet is while it protects guys' brains it's also a serious weapon.

As to equipment-if they went the no or minimal helmet rugby route you could eliminate a whole bunch of head problems. But you would also then see a whole load of catastrophic leg injuries-Leoan Johnson and Joe Theissmann several times a year. It's a pick your poison situation. The tradeoff with the helmet is while it protects guys' brains it's also a serious weapon.

if we can put a man on the moon we can make a helmet that is amazingly protective of the head. Heck even rally car drivers have these giant helmets that look like they could drop a bunch of bricks on them and not feel it.

if we can put a man on the moon we can make a helmet that is amazingly protective of the head. Heck even rally car drivers have these giant helmets that look like they could drop a bunch of bricks on them and not feel it.

In football, the problem isn't blows to the head so much as it is the slamming of the brain against the inside of the skull. That's a lot to ask from a helmet. Race car drivers are trying to protect their skull from being split open. It's completely different.

In football, the problem isn't blows to the head so much as it is the slamming of the brain against the inside of the skull. That's a lot to ask from a helmet. Race car drivers are trying to protect their skull from being split open. It's completely different.

yeah, and the brain is like 90% water, so it's basically impossible to stop the movement. the only way to be safe is to walk away. I've been thinking the NFL is pretty boring all off season, and not just jets games. the cowboys giants game was boring as well. is it the lessened violence ? are we citzens of rome screaming for blood ?

I wonder if the NFL prosperity is directly realted to violence

or maybe im psychopathic

im not entirely sure you are right on this one. Obviously i wasnt saying to use racing helmets im just saying that there are ways to advance the helmets to make it safer for their brains. I will never forget the time i saw a jason witten slam his head on the turf (not a player or any contact to the head) and leave with a concussion. Besides there was a study that NFL helmets underwent tests that other helmets when through and were rated 1 out of 5 stars for concussion protection when compared to i think it was reeboks helmets.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6517927

found it

Archived