Mario Williams has a pouty face

slats

Looks like Rex came to Howard's defense today.

http://espn.go.com/n...illiams-legally

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets coach Rex Ryan said he didn't see Austin Howard use illegal hands to the face in blocking Mario Williams on Sunday. What he saw, he said, was his right tackle playing an outstanding game and keeping the $100 million defensive end at bay.

The Buffalo Bills defender claimed that Howard used illegal hands to the face in his pass protection during the Jets' 48-28 win, but Ryan did not agree with Williams.

"I'll say this: Mario Williams is a great football player," Ryan said Monday. "There's no question, he's a tremendous player. But I disagree with him on this."

Going into the game, the Howard-Williams matchup was thought to be the critical battle in the trenches. Howard was making just the second start of his career and was facing one of the premier pass rushers in the league. Despite Williams' contention that Howard used illegal tactics, the tackle made it look like he was the cagey veteran and Williams was the one making his second start.

Williams had just one quarterback hit and he and the Bills did not record a sack. There was talk that the Bills, who also signed pass rusher Mark Anderson in the offseason, could have one of the best defensive lines in football. Instead, Howard won the battle against Williams (they faced each other one-on-one on 13 snaps), and the rest of the line did its job in a blowout win.

"Pass blocking doesn't consist of illegal hands to the face just about every play, which, when somebody tells you that, and you're five yards away from it, and you walk away like you don't see him telling you you're getting punched in the face every time, then that dictates somebody like myself having to take care of that on my own," Williams said after the game.

Ryan commended Howard for being able to battle Williams without help for a good amount of the snaps and for keeping his quarterback clean. Teammates helped him at times with slide protections and chip blocks.

"I thought Austin Howard had a great game," Ryan said. "There's no two ways about it: He had an outstanding game. He gave up that one hit against Mario Williams; that was impressive."

There had been concern entering the season about the right tackle position, as Wayne Hunter struggled before being traded, leading to Howard getting the starting gig. While the team had seen Howard play well in practice, it needed to see him do it on the field. In his first opportunity, Howard stepped up to the challenge.

"I think Austin Howard, when we put him in against Cincinnati to start at left tackle, he performed extremely well, and in other games he played in. He did a nice job in those games," Ryan said. "We were confident in him. Did I think that he would have that kind of game against Mario Williams? I don't know if I could say that, but I thought our plan was good."

Also find the revisionist history by ESPN to be a bit much, that Howard was made the starter by default because they traded away Hunter, when the truth is Howard stole the job away from Hunter (who had already been dubbed the starter earlier in the offseason) which is what actually led to the trade.

Monday, September 10, 2012

Rex Ryan: Mario Williams wrong

By Matt Ehalt

Special to ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets coach Rex Ryan said he didn't see Austin Howard use illegal hands to the face in blocking Mario Williams on Sunday. What he saw, he said, was his right tackle playing an outstanding game and keeping the $100 million defensive end at bay.

The Buffalo Bills defender claimed that Howard used illegal hands to the face in his pass protection during the Jets' 48-28 win, but Ryan did not agree with Williams.

"I'll say this: Mario Williams is a great football player," Ryan said Monday. "There's no question, he's a tremendous player. But I disagree with him on this."

Going into the game, the Howard-Williams matchup was thought to be the critical battle in the trenches. Howard was making just the second start of his career and was facing one of the premier pass rushers in the league.

Despite Williams' contention that Howard used illegal tactics, the tackle made it look like he was the cagey veteran and Williams was the one making his second start. Williams had just one quarterback hit and he and the Bills did not record a sack.

There was talk that the Bills, who also signed pass rusher Mark Anderson in the offseason, could have one of the best defensive lines in football. Instead, Howard won the battle against Williams (they faced each other one-on-one on 13 snaps), and the rest of the line did its job in a blowout win.

"Pass blocking doesn't consist of illegal hands to the face just about every play, which, when somebody tells you that, and you're five yards away from it, and you walk away like you don't see him telling you you're getting punched in the face every time, then that dictates somebody like myself having to take care of that on my own," Williams said after the game.

Ryan commended Howard for being able to battle Williams without help for a good amount of the snaps and for keeping his quarterback clean. Teammates helped him at times with slide protections and chip blocks.

"I thought Austin Howard had a great game," Ryan said. "There's no two ways about it: He had an outstanding game. He gave up that one hit against Mario Williams; that was impressive."

There had been concern entering the season about the right tackle position, as Wayne Hunter struggled before being traded, leading to Howard getting the starting gig. While the team had seen Howard play well in practice, it needed to see him do it on the field. In his first opportunity, Howard stepped up to the challenge.

"I think Austin Howard, when we put him in against Cincinnati to start at left tackle, he performed extremely well, and in other games he played in. He did a nice job in those games," Ryan said.

"We were confident in him. Did I think that he would have that kind of game against Mario Williams? I don't know if I could say that, but I thought our plan was good."

Matt Ehalt is a regular contributor to ESPNNewYork.com.

I watched the game again last night and after one play late in the game, Williams patted Howard on the ass, that doesn't seem like a guy who is pissed off. Now that I think about it, maybe he was just trying to hook up a little action after the game since his hand did linger uncomfortably on Howard's ass.

[\Quote]

"We were confident in him. Did I think that he would have that kind of game against Mario Williams? I don't know if I could say that, but I thought our plan was good."

Matt Ehalt is a regular contributor to ESPNNewYork.com.

Game Plan=1st play of the game, we are going to throw it clear to the other side of the field. You are going to cold cock that ugly mofo upside the head.

phuck him

Mario Williams thinks replacement officials did horrible job

Posted by Josh Alper on September 9, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT

One of the many heroes for the Jets on Sunday was right tackle Austin Howard.

The spot was trouble for the Jets thanks to Wayne Hunter’s turnstile-like tendencies in the preseason and they were crossing their fingers that Howard would be able to do the job on Sunday against defensive end Mario Williams. The Bills big offseason acquisition was a total non-factor, leading Rex Ryan to praise Howard’s work.

Williams wasn’t so forthcoming with compliments for Howard. Williams accused the Jets tackle of all manners of perfidy during the 48-28 victory and slammed the replacement officials for letting him get away with it.

“Pass blocking doesn’t consist of illegal hands to the face just about every play, which, when somebody tells you that, and you’re five yards away from it, and you walk away like you don’t see him telling you you’re getting punched in the face every time, then that dictates somebody like myself having to take care of that on my own,” Williams said, via Mike Mazzeo of ESPNNewYork.com. “It’s not something that’s really going to dictate something, but what are you going to about it? You’re getting off the ball and getting punched in the face, literally — not by accident — just about every other time, and that’s a penalty, last time I checked, unless they changed it with the new CBA or something. Last time I checked, that’s a penalty.”

It’ll take a close review of the 11-on-11 film to see how often Howard might have crossed the line while blocking Williams because he was never penalized nor did he ever get away with a miss so egregious that it registered over the course of the game. In general, the only reason you would have noticed a difference from past officiating is if you were actively thinking about it. There were no mishaps of note in the officiating, excluding Williams’ claims obviously.

Even if he did get away with using illegal technique, it doesn’t explain Stephen Gilmore getting burnt by Stephen Hill for a touchdown, three Ryan Fitzpatrick interceptions and a total breakdown by the Bills on Jeremy Kerley’s 68-yard punt return for a touchdown. The Jets beat the Bills across the board on Sunday.

The Bills and Jets meet again in the final week of the season when the original officials could be back on the job. That might make Williams happy, but it won’t change the fact that he and his teammates got blown out on Sunday.

Archived