Spent the whole day on a college list

Maxman

I know no one wants to talk about it, but if they school has the major your son wants, doing the first two years at a community college saves a lot of money. Then they transfer where ever they want.

I don't understand why people won't talk about this. it makes infinite sense, and CC provides a safeguard against your kids from falling into the freshman stigma of partying too much. They learn how to be students, and it creates self-reinforcing studying and scheduling habits. Not to mention the fact that more PhDs are teaching at CC's now than any time in history. Saving 30k off the top is the icing on the cake. Really, really support this for any and all kids who aren't declared and plan on spending their first two years exploring liberal arts courses. Which is the majority these days.

I know no one wants to talk about it, but if they school has the major your son wants, doing the first two years at a community college saves a lot of money. Then they transfer where ever they want.

I don't understand why people won't talk about this. it makes infinite sense, and CC provides a safeguard against your kids from falling into the freshman stigma of partying too much. They learn how to be students, and it creates self-reinforcing studying and scheduling habits. Not to mention the fact that more PhDs are teaching at CC's now than any time in history. Saving 30k off the top is the icing on the cake. Really, really support this for any and all kids who aren't declared and plan on spending their first two years exploring liberal arts courses. Which is the majority these days.

I actually agree with this. His says he wants to play football though, so taking two years off really isn't a good option.

The prices of school are amazing (in a bad way). Some schools that I had thought were on the low end were over 50k. Just insane.

i wasnt a studious kid in high school, i finished in the 190's of 240 kids in my class with a low 2's GPA. I ended up doing 3 years at CC after switching majors after my first year, but like you said it taught me and reinforced all the studying and scheduling habits . It also made me realize that I could like going to school and do the work. I took that and graduated Cum Laude from the school I transferred to. Going to CC honestly changed the path that my life was going down.

edit- and the money saved was very nice also.

I actually agree with this. His says he wants to play football though, so taking two years off really isn't a good option.

The prices of school are amazing (in a bad way). Some schools that I had thought were on the low end were over 50k. Just insane.

I understand the football thing, i wanted to play, but being 5-7 there weren't lot of options lol, Shane has options. Its just a choice he has to make. He may want to play now, but after the season is over and he realizes that he doesnt have to go through camp anymore and the like he may change his mind.

On the money side, look for any scholarship he may be eligible for (a lot have to do with his chosen major) and take out some loans. They suck to pay back, but if he stays on top of paying the interest off as he goes, when he finishes all he'll have to pay is the original amount taken out.

I'm not a parent but i know that no parent wants to put that burden on their kids, but you have to think about the family as a whole and not just one kid. The family still needs to function and not be put in a hole financially, especially when there are other options on the table.

I understand the football thing, i wanted to play, but being 5-7 there weren't lot of options lol, Shane has options. Its just a choice he has to make. He may want to play now, but after the season is over and he realizes that he doesnt have to go through camp anymore and the like he may change his mind.

On the money side, look for any scholarship he may be eligible for (a lot have to do with his chosen major) and take out some loans. They suck to pay back, but if he stays on top of paying the interest off as he goes, when he finishes all he'll have to pay is the original amount taken out.

I'm not a parent but i know that no parent wants to put that burden on their kids, but you have to think about the family as a whole and not just one kid. The family still needs to function and not be put in a hole financially, especially when there are other options on the table.

Thanks.

It is super important to me that he graduate college and know that he doesn't have to pay back the loans. That will be on me (hopefully, barring some kind of disaster like my summer nanny asking for a raise, lol).

If he decides to do anything post grad wise, that can be on his dime. So far all I promised to pay for is grammar, high school and college. Then i am out. At some point I need to start saying for retirement. :)

Thanks.

It is super important to me that he graduate college and know that he doesn't have to pay back the loans. That will be on me (hopefully, barring some kind of disaster like my summer nanny asking for a raise, lol).

If he decides to do anything post grad wise, that can be on his dime. So far all I promised to pay for is grammar, high school and college. Then i am out. At some point I need to start saying for retirement. :)

well if the landscaper ups his fees, I am a professional and i come cheap. I also do windows and toilets if the housekeeper does the same. And I have my Black Seal certification so i can run you're boiler. I can provide references.

well if the landscaper ups his fees, I am a professional and i come cheap. I also do windows and toilets if the housekeeper does the same. And I have my Black Seal certification so i can run you're boiler. I can provide references.

Man I wish we had that stuff. We are an old fashioned family. I cut the grass, my wife cleans the house and we have no nanny. Clearly we are doing something wrong, haha.

Ahh yeah, that's another exception I forgot to include. Best I can say then is spend a lot time researching scholarships. I'm serious. You'd be amazed at how quickly good candidates vet themselves out of scholarships they're very qualified for simply due to them not wanting to take the time with the administrative tediousness of it.

i wasnt a studious kid in high school, i finished in the 190's of 240 kids in my class with a low 2's GPA. I ended up doing 3 years at CC after switching majors after my first year, but like you said it taught me and reinforced all the studying and scheduling habits . It also made me realize that I could like going to school and do the work. I took that and graduated Cum Laude from the school I transferred to. Going to CC honestly changed the path that my life was going down.

edit- and the money saved was very nice also.

Same here dude. Barely graduated high school, and didn't go to college until a few years after I graduated. Wound up enrolling in a few courses at Brookdale for the hell of it and was blessed with some great teachers along the way, all were integral in helping me realize that I actually had some potential. I honestly don't think I would have gotten to where I am without CC.

Ahh yeah, that's another exception I forgot to include. Best I can say then is spend a lot time researching scholarships. I'm serious. You'd be amazed at how quickly good candidates vet themselves out of scholarships they're very qualified for simply due to them not wanting to take the time with the administrative tediousness of it.

Thanks. Definitely another good point. I know a lot of scholarships are around even on the local level. We will definitely make sure that he puts in the time on them.

Same here dude. Barely graduated high school, and didn't go to college until a few years after I graduated. Wound up enrolling in a few courses at Brookdale for the hell of it and was blessed with some great teachers along the way, all were integral in helping me realize that I actually had some potential. I honestly don't think I would have gotten to where I am without CC.

I didn't know any of that about you. I feel like we have grown apart and that you don't share stuff with me anymore, lol.

Also didn't realize you were in the general Brookdale vicinity.

I didn't know any of that about you. I feel like we have grown apart and that you don't share stuff with me anymore, lol.

Also didn't realize you were in the general Brookdale vicinity.

Yep, graduated from Matawan. Class of '99, woot woot.

It's funny, I realized the other day that I've been a regular on Jets forums for almost 10 years now. That was right about the time I was finishing up at community college, and I think some regulars remember the naive kid (who knew dick about math, BTW), that started posting then. Really, really crazy the roller coaster my life's been on since then. I run into people from my old neighborhoods on Facebook or when I go home for Thanksgiving, and it's nothing but complete disbelief.

My son just started CC 2 weeks ago -- local one here in Illinois so far so good. 1st day of school and he surpassed me in the education dept. Very important for us he goes the distance especially since we are avioiding the dreaded student loan thing and footing the bill ourselves. Give him 2 years to get his sh*t together and go from there.

Maximus, as JoeC, SlowMoe and RJF touched on, will your son do the school work?

Similar to Joe, I was in the bottom third of my graduating and class did not care for school. I applied and was accepted to college, but due to my less than stellar academic career my parents told me to pay for the first year and then talk to them about financial assistance starting year 2. I pushed going back a year and decided to save because I was going out of state. I never made it to school because in the end I was not mature enough for it and did not want to go.

My wife and I are dealing with my daughter now. She was not a a bad student (2.9 GPA and just shy of some grants), but she does not want to be in school. So the money we had squirreled away for her was wasted as she bombed out during her Freshmen year. We have hope she will come around and realize the importance of an education like her father eventually did.

My point being, have a heart to heart with your son before committing to a school. He has to want to be in school. Does he want to be in school to continue playing football or to build the foundation for a future career?

Maximus, as JoeC, SlowMoe and RJF touched on, will your son do the school work?

Similar to Joe, I was in the bottom third of my graduating and class did not care for school. I applied and was accepted to college, but due to my less than stellar academic career my parents told me to pay for the first year and then talk to them about financial assistance starting year 2. I pushed going back a year and decided to save because I was going out of state. I never made it to school because in the end I was not mature enough for it and did not want to go.

My wife and I are dealing with my daughter now. She was not a a bad student (2.9 GPA and just shy of some grants), but she does not want to be in school. So the money we had squirreled away for her was wasted as she bombed out during her Freshmen year. We have hope she will come around and realize the importance of an education like her father eventually did.

My point being, have a heart to heart with your son before committing to a school. He has to want to be in school. Does he want to be in school to continue playing football or to build the foundation for a future career?

Well, I hear what you are saying but not sure what you are suggesting really. He woke up every day at 5:30am to get to am football practice. Came home from practice and went to work. Now he has work and school. His grades are good and he is on track to graduate high school with 9 college credits under his belt.

Will he fail out of college? Anyone can. But I just don't see how the "talk" will really change anything. He has worked his a$$ off up until this point. So I will just continue to show him that I support him and believe in him. He understands that we don't have money to burn (he sees where we live lol).

So it is all up to him. Ready or not this is what he says he wants to do and unless he changes his mind, he will get the opportunity. :)

And if playing college football is his motivation to get a degree, then I support it even more.

Why would one need a college degree if they stood to inherit the cashcow that is JetNation.com?

LOL!!!

I just had a conversation with my wife about this. She said she would be willing to sell JetNation for 25 thousand dollars. I was flipping out...8 years of my life and so many people did all this work and that is what you value this at? She said, I am a realist.

Ouch. :)

Did it with my oldest daughter. She went to NVCC (Northern Virginia Community) then had a complete transfer to George Mason and is currently finishing her MBA their. With in State tuition I still had money left over to drink Makers Mark instead of rack bourbon. WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this might be a dumb question but why can't he play football at a Juco? These community colleges often become feeders for big programs. I always hear about how Alabama or Florida is getting some stud from a CC. Is he not that type of prospect?

That's true too. I'm not sure how many JUCO football programs there are in jersey. That's a really good option though.

So what we learned in this thread is this:

JetNation aint worth squat.

Next year's Family in Need will be a story about a kid going to college to play football and the family that cant afford it...

CC is a viable option and cheaper too... except if youre someone like me who loved the 4 years of college and loved the experience there that I dont think I would have had if I only went 2 years.

College is expensive... People complain about it all the time (major sore point here in the elections in Mass.) and yet nothing ever gets done to help. Tuition is ridiculous, but dont forget about those damn books you got to buy every freakin semester!

Have stupid kids. They cost less.

So what we learned in this thread is this:

JetNation aint worth squat.

Next year's Family in Need will be a story about a kid going to college to play football and the family that cant afford it...

CC is a viable option and cheaper too... except if youre someone like me who loved the 4 years of college and loved the experience there that I dont think I would have had if I only went 2 years.

College is expensive... People complain about it all the time (major sore point here in the elections in Mass.) and yet nothing ever gets done to help. Tuition is ridiculous, but dont forget about those damn books you got to buy every freakin semester!

Have stupid kids. They cost less.

Books are the worst. And like a car, once taken out of the book store they lose ALL of their value.

Archived