2 timeouts 1:30 left in the first half

Matt39

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this begs for a new forum on JN - The What Smashmouth Would Tell His Players If He Was (insert coach's name) In Various Specific Situations forum.

That way, we'd have that info handy for future reference.

Where were these great innovation ideas when you were captain?

exactly. everyone who thinks they should have ran 2 minute should watch that video 10x straight. That's why Rex is the coach and we aren't. Dick Lebeau was coming and do you really trust Mark to get rid of it? Yes it's nice to imagine that Mark marches down the field and scores a touchdown. How likely is that really?

I think this begs for a new forum on JN - The What Smashmouth Would Tell His Players If He Was (insert coach's name) In Various Specific Situations forum.

That way, we'd have that info handy for future reference.

You add so much to the forums how could you possibly need any info I would supply ?

Are you serious with this sh*t ?

exactly. everyone who thinks they should have ran 2 minute should watch that video 10x straight. That's why Rex is the coach and we aren't. Dick Lebeau was coming and do you really trust Mark to get rid of it? Yes it's nice to imagine that Mark marches down the field and scores a touchdown. How likely is that really?

This is ridiculous. You dont let one incident dictate how and when your team should run the 2 minute drill . We were on the 35 yard line do you not see the difference ? With your logic we should just never run the 2 minute drill ever again before the half to try and get some points.

RJF I dont have a link but I know for a fact our Blitzing percentage has dropped each of the past 3 years. I remember seeing a graphic on it on NFL network

Ah, if you ever come across that again try to capture it please, would be interested in seeing that one. Guessing they're probably relying on Stats Inc for that and John Doe is never privy to those #'s unless ESPN or NFLN graces us with them.

This is ridiculous. You dont let one incident dictate how and when your team should run the 2 minute drill . We were on the 35 yard line do you not see the difference ? With your logic we should just never run the 2 minute drill ever again before the half to try and get some points.

same QB, same DC, same field. howard was struggling with the speed rushers, WR's were sucking, keller and greene out.

which back do you trust in blitz pick up ? powell ? mcpuke ?

the jets were getting the ball first in the 2nd half

it was the right call. does this mean they should sit on the ball vs miami ? of course not. different defense, different DC

did you see how haley respected the jets D early on ? rex respected lebeau. that's all this was

You add so much to the forums how could you possibly need any info I would supply ?

Are you serious with this sh*t ?

I am. There are many times when watching the football when I think to myself "if Smashmouth were Norv Turner, what would he say to his team in this situation?"

If there were a separate forum with a list of specific situations cross referenced with coach's names and your words if you were those coaches in those situations, it would make my life a hell of a lot easier, let me tell you.

And I know I can't be the only one.

I am. There are many times when watching the football when I think to myself "if Smashmouth were Norv Turner, what would he say to his team in this situation?"

If there were a separate forum with a list of specific situations cross referenced with coach's names and your words if you were those coaches in those situations, it would make my life a hell of a lot easier, let me tell you.

And I know I can't be the only one.

You're not. Sign me up. I'll sponsor it if I must.

congratulations on trying to turn this into a Sanchez Issue. The same guy that lit it up last week and led us on a 90 yard TD drive in the first quarter with no turnovers nothing close to a TO really. What reason this year does Rex have not to trust his QB ? or is pussy just engrained in his head ? Rex talks tough but coaches like a kitten probably the reason why our Blitzing over the past three years has dropped as well and why his vaunted defense cant stop a nose bleed on 3rd down.

Rex Ryan sent a clear message to his team going into the locker room "Im a Pussy" 1:17 2 time outs at the 35 yard line you at least try a few throws, they dont have to be deep, couple of ten yard outs. Like BG said if they are not there you throw the ball away or even attack the middle of the field since you have 2 time outs to burn.

lol

If you could take your tongue out of Sanchez's rectum for a moment, he's also the same guy who coughed up the football twice with his carelessness 1 week earlier.

One can agree or disagree with Rex's decision, and personally I think the decision sucked. But you can't say that Sanchez's history played no part in the decision no matter how many times you pretend the past did not actually occur.

Had Sanchez thrown another pick 6 you'd be the first one here crying about the horrible position Rex put Sanchez in, and how he's setting him up for failure.

Link?

(Being serious, not sure if you're citing something here or not)

http://www.ganggreen...-less-this-year

According to the same post:

The Jets do mix things up, but there seem to be a lot of zone blitzes, where linebackers and people come from the secondary and linemen drop into short zone coverage. These would not count in Cimini's stats if only four men are rushing.

lol

If you could take your tongue out of Sanchez's rectum for a moment, he's also the same guy who coughed up the football twice with his carelessness 1 week earlier.

One can agree or disagree with Rex's decision, and personally I think the decision sucked. But you can't say that Sanchez's history played no part in the decision no matter how many times you pretend the past did not actually occur.

Had Sanchez thrown another pick 6 you'd be the first one here crying about the horrible position Rex put Sanchez in, and how he's setting him up for failure.

About right. Concerning that again the CS in such a situation doesn't trust Sanchez enough to at least try to run a few passing plays. Even odder that the Jets called a TO on the Steelers' series right before getting the ball. As if they thought about running some offense and then decided to not bother. Notwithstanding the AFCCG debacle, you aren't going to win in Pittsburgh unless you take some chances. For a guy like Rex Ryan who loves to make it sound like his team is tougher than anyone, that's pretty pussified.

You are correct, game situations dictate why you would run a two minute drill....no only at the end of a half or the end of a game. Look at how the Pats have used it...the colts etc. etc.

So your answer is you have no answer. Because there is no mid-game changes to a gameplan that will overcome players not tackling.

So here is your answer to players not tackling...its called if you don't want to tackle, then you won't be on this team. Players that are in the NFL know how to tackle otherwise they would be there in the first place. Tell me that has not been said by coaches at half time. And by the way, there are always "mid-game" adjustments that can be made to both offense and defense that's what makes a good head coach great and a good team great as well... that's called, strategy. And I know you know that. What bothers me is the fact that we have Tebow on the sideline, where he could have been on the field even if he did not touch the freakin ball when he was in there, Pitt would have had to account for him and maybe that would have given our WR's and Sanchez a little more room to operate in. This is what I am talking about here. That's the adjustment I was referring too. The other adjustment as was said during the game was the fact that Rex was running the blitz all day long and Pitt was ready for it hence the 8 of 14 3rd down conversions! Does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that its not working today and move out of it. And do something else. And if there is nothing else you as a head coach has as a plan, then you are not a good head coach.

So here is your answer to players not tackling...its called if you don't want to tackle, then you won't be on this team. Players that are in the NFL know how to tackle otherwise they would be there in the first place. Tell me that has not been said by coaches at half time. And by the way, there are always "mid-game" adjustments that can be made to both offense and defense that's what makes a good head coach great and a good team great as well... that's called, strategy. And I know you know that. What bothers me is the fact that we have Tebow on the sideline, where he could have been on the field even if he did not touch the freakin ball when he was in there, Pitt would have had to account for him and maybe that would have given our WR's and Sanchez a little more room to operate in. This is what I am talking about here. That's the adjustment I was referring too. The other adjustment as was said during the game was the fact that Rex was running the blitz all day long and Pitt was ready for it hence the 8 of 14 3rd down conversions! Does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that its not working today and move out of it. And do something else. And if there is nothing else you as a head coach has as a plan, then you are not a good head coach.

That's fine and good if you are coaching high school but there is the reality of the salary cap and the fact that you really can't just cut guys for missing tackles in the NFL and they know that so making that threat would be meaningless.

First off, Dallas converted the same 3rd downs as Pittsburgh and they got the snot beat out of them. It was 8 of 14, not 13 of 14. Still bad, but the problem on defense was tackling (and Cromartie losing the ball in the air), not scheme.

Everything was working if they wrapped up and finished tackles. The problem on defense was not strategy.

Also Tebow's presence wouldn't have helped all the WR drops. Among other mishaps on offense, Sanchez threw a couple right onto hands or between the numbers and they were just flat-out dropped. Also Holmes was wide open for an easy TD and Sanchez just flat-out missed him. Tebow being on the field would have done nothing to help these things.

Sometimes players just get beat, and beat we were.

Not only is it obvious why he done it, we ****ing seen and lived what happened when you try to do much a few years ago.

I didn't like it at the time, I don't like it now. I also remember being pissed at Rex/Schotty when they allowed that killer play in the AFCCG, can't win.

If Sanchez threw a pick 6 there, you can't tell me there wouldn't be posters here asking what the **** Sparano and Rex were thinking.

Not only is it obvious why he done it, we ****ing seen and lived what happened when you try to do much a few years ago.

I didn't like it at the time, I don't like it now. I also remember being pissed at Rex/Schotty when they allowed that killer play in the AFCCG, can't win.

If Sanchez threw a pick 6 there, you can't tell me there wouldn't be posters here asking what the **** Sparano and Rex were thinking.

Situations were a bit different....the Sanchez scoop and score in the title game was on 3rd and 17....on like their own 15 yard line

2 timeouts and a minute on the 33 yard line or whatever it was is an eternity.

Situations were a bit different....the Sanchez scoop and score in the title game was on 3rd and 17....on like their own 15 yard line

2 timeouts and a minute on the 33 yard line or whatever it was is an eternity.

Oh I know, and like I said I hated the call.

I just wouldn't go to either extreme of saying Rex thinks we have the GOAT defense or the WOAT QB, it's probably somewhere in between. If the Jets win the game, none of this ever comes up. The fact of the matter is the Steelers were just outplaying us in every area at that point. I doubt we would have done anything had we tried to be aggressive, and I doubt it would have changed our second half performance had we scored. The Steelers were just that much better than us that it's not going to come down to one single play/drive/unit. 2 drives aside, it was just a beatdown.

Oh I know, and like I said I hated the call.

I just wouldn't go to either extreme of saying Rex thinks we have the GOAT defense or the WOAT QB, it's probably somewhere in between. If the Jets win the game, none of this ever comes up. The fact of the matter is the Steelers were just outplaying us in every area at that point. I doubt we would have done anything had we tried to be aggressive, and I doubt it would have changed our second half performance had we scored. The Steelers were just that much better than us that it's not going to come down to one single play/drive/unit. 2 drives aside, it was just a beatdown.

Im starting to get the sense that Rex coaches with his defensive ranking in mind. A Sanchez turnover there followed be a Pitt score would make his defense look worse than it is....ditto not going for it down 3 scores with 3 minutes left. There's no reason not to go for it there...unless youre concerned about score differential....this isnt the BCS.

That's fine and good if you are coaching high school but there is the reality of the salary cap and the fact that you really can't just cut guys for missing tackles in the NFL and they know that so making that threat would be meaningless.

come on man don't even go there...missing tackles was not the only reason we lost dude.

First off, Dallas converted the same 3rd downs as Pittsburgh and they got the snot beat out of them. It was 8 of 14, not 13 of 14. Still bad, but the problem on defense was tackling (and Cromartie losing the ball in the air), not scheme.

Everything was working if they wrapped up and finished tackles. The problem on defense was not strategy.

Also Tebow's presence wouldn't have helped all the WR drops. Among other mishaps on offense, Sanchez threw a couple right onto hands or between the numbers and they were just flat-out dropped. Also Holmes was wide open for an easy TD and Sanchez just flat-out missed him. Tebow being on the field would have done nothing to help these things.

Sometimes players just get beat, and beat we were.

ok I do get where your coming from. But shouldn't our team be a bit ahead of playing like we did on sunday? Shoyuldn't someone done something else to try and win? That's what I am pointing out.

ok I do get where your coming from. But shouldn't our team be a bit ahead of playing like we did on sunday? Shoyuldn't someone done something else to try and win? That's what I am pointing out.

Yes they should. But how many teams go undefeated? Everyone slobbers all over the Giants knobs. Regular season they were 9-7 and 10-6. Nothing to get your dick hard over. They squeaked in with teams that let up points to their opponents like that was the intended result. Washington won 5 games last year. 2 of them were against the future SB champs.

It happens. I'm not happy about the loss but it happens. Truth is these guys CAN catch and they CAN tackle but they collectively took the day off from doing both. I'd feel worse if every pass was being completed with ease or if Sanchez was getting sacked 4x and turning it over another 2. Guys were in the right position to make plays on defense. Passes - most of them anyway - were in the right spot to be caught. Things would be easier if we didn't have Keller out and Hill only there in spirit, and Kerley not muffing a punt. In other words I think this is all fixable. Or fixable enough to be in the conversation at the end of the season.

This isn't the 45-3 thrashing the Pats gave us a couple of years ago where we weren't even competitive the whole game. This was competitive for most of the game and in the end was lost due to bonehead errors that usually don't occur (or don't occur with this frequency). And yes, we were without Revis and Keller and Thomas and (effectively) Hill.

Things will get better. And we will also lose other games. But on balance we should win more than we lose.

Yes they should. But how many teams go undefeated? Everyone slobbers all over the Giants knobs. Regular season they were 9-7 and 10-6. Nothing to get your dick hard over. They squeaked in with teams that let up points to their opponents like that was the intended result. Washington won 5 games last year. 2 of them were against the future SB champs.

It happens. I'm not happy about the loss but it happens. Truth is these guys CAN catch and they CAN tackle but they collectively took the day off from doing both. I'd feel worse if every pass was being completed with ease or if Sanchez was getting sacked 4x and turning it over another 2. Guys were in the right position to make plays on defense. Passes - most of them anyway - were in the right spot to be caught. Things would be easier if we didn't have Keller out and Hill only there in spirit, and Kerley not muffing a punt. In other words I think this is all fixable. Or fixable enough to be in the conversation at the end of the season.

This isn't the 45-3 thrashing the Pats gave us a couple of years ago where we weren't even competitive the whole game. This was competitive for most of the game and in the end was lost due to bonehead errors that usually don't occur (or don't occur with this frequency). And yes, we were without Revis and Keller and Thomas and (effectively) Hill.

Things will get better. And we will also lose other games. But on balance we should win more than we lose.

Agreed!

RE the decision Sanchez to open up the 2 minute drill at 1:03 in Pitt,

what is the expected result?

Original poster if you were running book, wHat odds do you offer for any NYJ points before the half? Are the Jets favored to make points?

How good of a bet do we think this is? a coinflip is very generous to Mark Sanchez and the Jets passing offense as a whole.

Keep in mind PA is a state where the Jets have won exactly once (in dozens of tries over the years)

Professional football is called that because it is run by pros. sometimes being a pro means punting or kicking a field goal on 4th down. sometimes it means killing the clock. I don't fault Rex for being conservative in that situation. Rex is an instinctual coach who sees every inch of that field all the time. He could smell a disaster and he shut it down. Good for Rex.

And the Jets fag out.

Game was dead right there. What a pussy performance from everyone today. Slow death.

57sec. left, but i agree to at least try for a field goal.If they have no faith in Sanchez in that situation, then go in another direction next year. That was lame.

RE the decision Sanchez to open up the 2 minute drill at 1:03 in Pitt,

what is the expected result?

Original poster if you were running book, wHat odds do you offer for any NYJ points before the half? Are the Jets favored to make points?

How good of a bet do we think this is? a coinflip is very generous to Mark Sanchez and the Jets passing offense as a whole.

Keep in mind PA is a state where the Jets have won exactly once (in dozens of tries over the years)

Professional football is called that because it is run by pros. sometimes being a pro means punting or kicking a field goal on 4th down. sometimes it means killing the clock. I don't fault Rex for being conservative in that situation. Rex is an instinctual coach who sees every inch of that field all the time. He could smell a disaster and he shut it down. Good for Rex.

Yeah right, and when Herm did that or Mangeuious did it they were run out of town....give me a break!

Did you just compare the Jets offense to the Pats? The Colts? I can only assume that etc., etc. are the Saints and the Packers.

No no...Not the Jets to those guys what I was saying is teams like the Pats, Colts, saints and Pack run two minute offenses all the time anytime during the game.

Archived