2 timeouts 1:30 left in the first half

Matt39

This is what happens to a coach when, no matter how much confidence you tell reporters you have in him, you're scared sh*tless your QB is going to throw a pick 6.

He could have tried 1 play and if it was a near-disaster then take a knee. They have a fear of doing even that and didn't want to risk losing the moral victory of only losing by 3 at halftime.

Pretty much...I'm sure he had flash backs of AFCG when Sanchez fumbled for a TD right before the half.

It was a pussy decision, but could you imagine if we came out gunning and Sanchez did turn it over for a score or at least put them in scoring position?

The Jets got the ball at the start of the half. While I think it was a bitch move, I get it. At that point it the game, the Jets had 3 possessions and had scored twice. Only down by 3 at the half, I get it. I was confident the Jets would score after the break too. It was a why risk it scenario. Gay? Yes. Game costing? No.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What on earth does Tebow have to do with this?

Rex clearly was afraid to try anything with Sanchez with a minute left with 2 timeouts. If you think he would be just as spineless with a true top-notch QB, well then you can believe that. I do not believe it. The guy's core attitude is to attack and overpower. That is not a "Meh, just take a knee so we can lock in a 3 point deficit" attitude.

And Rex doesn't, by your apparent definition, look stupid because these horribly overpaid linebackers can't tackle and are run like they're wearing 20 lb ankle weights. Even without our only dominant player on defense, they were put in the right position by the coach(es). If they weren't in that correct position they wouldn't have missed a tackle (much like the first half of the AFCCG, also against Pittsburgh), as they wouldn't have been near the ball carrier.

The score was 13 to 10......we had good field position, where is the strategy in trying to gain field position and using your two time outs wisely? My reference to Tebow is, you could have used him is some way to get into field goal range, even if you had no intention of giving him the ball, at least have him in there to at least try to free up a WR? Do you see what I am saying? And as far as our LB Harris, I am sorry but this guy is slow. Put a kid in there maybe he could run a bit. Missed tackles? Ok how many missed tackles on Big Ben?...How many dropped passes? one was questable in the endzone to Holmes the other to Hill......and then we have Rex. How many 3rd down conversions did we give up???? 8 of 14! come on man WTF!

This was the whole game though. They were entirely too conservative on both sides of the ball. I hate taking the knee going into the locker room at the half with more than a minute left, but the Jets routinely do that. They don't routinely play the whole game scared. They took the lead 7-3, then 10-6, and then it was like they decided they going to play "not-to-lose" football with 45 minutes left.

Terrible game plan all around. It looked like they were unprepared or something.

Scored on the first 2 possessions...should have been 2 TD's. I dont think they were unprepared, I think the Steelers adjusted and the Jets couldnt figure it out.

The score was 13 to 10......we had good field position, where is the strategy in trying to gain field position and using your two time outs wisely? My reference to Tebow is, you could have used him is some way to get into field goal range, even if you had no intention of giving him the ball, at least have him in there to at least try to free up a WR? Do you see what I am saying? And as far as our LB Harris, I am sorry but this guy is slow. Put a kid in there maybe he could run a bit. Missed tackles? Ok how many missed tackles on Big Ben?...How many dropped passes? one was questable in the endzone to Holmes the other to Hill......and then we have Rex. How many 3rd down conversions did we give up???? 8 of 14! come on man WTF!

Jets sucked in all 3 phases yesterday.

Pretty much...I'm sure he had flash backs of AFCG when Sanchez fumbled for a TD right before the half.

It was a pussy decision, but could you imagine if we came out gunning and Sanchez did turn it over for a score or at least put them in scoring position?

The Jets got the ball at the start of the half. While I think it was a bitch move, I get it. At that point it the game, the Jets had 3 possessions and had scored twice. Only down by 3 at the half, I get it. I was confident the Jets would score after the break too. It was a why risk it scenario. Gay? Yes. Game costing? No.

While I pretty much agree with this, it just gets frustrating when you have a team like the Jets who have made a history of playing like pussies and it coming back to bite them in the ass time and time again. I can understand not pushing your luck, but not taking even one shot to see if you could get something? I would think at the very least you can try one play call to take a shot deep down field. If they're really that scared, you tell Sanchez he gets time for one read and then heaves the ball out of bounds if it's not there.

Agreed... but the D did more.

What game were you watching? Defense was not the problem yesterday. The defense had them in the game. Forced 3 straight 3 and outs after the Wallace score and the Jets couldnt move the F'ing ball. You cant expect the defense to be on the field that much vs. horrible field position and keep getting off the field.

Jeeeezzzzus

But that's Rex's JOB!

Big picture, yes...but technically, its Sparano's.

He sat because he remembered the title game and figured they would get the ball back to start the half anyway. I dont think it was that big of a deal. Jets just got outplayed today by a better team.

agreed. the last time Rex was in this exact same position, in this exact same stadium, they pushed their luck and ended up down huge. Down 3 at halftime (getting the ball back) is not a terrible result.

While I pretty much agree with this, it just gets frustrating when you have a team like the Jets who have made a history of playing like pussies and it coming back to bite them in the ass time and time again. I can understand not pushing your luck, but not taking even one shot to see if you could get something? I would think at the very least you can try one play call to take a shot deep down field. If they're really that scared, you tell Sanchez he gets time for one read and then heaves the ball out of bounds if it's not there.

I agree. If it was my call, I would have gone for it but I do understand not pushing your luck when you get the ball back in the 2nd half of a 3 point game on the road.

There is so much wrong with this logic I don't know where to begin.

Sanchez is the QB. You don't put in Tim Tebow off the bench for a quick strike with under a minute left in the half.

Missed tackles is not poor strategy. This is my point. Apparently you believe that missed tackles are synonymous with bad gameplans.

Harris I'm not a huge fan of - or more to the point, I'm not a huge fan of at his bloated 8-digit cap figure. He's slow and can't cover. But he's usually a damn reliable tackler.

My point is your cause and effect don't match. 3rd down conversions in 1 particular game are due to players playing badly. Rex didn't suddenly become a defensive coaching 'tard. He built a defense around a particular all-time-great player and that player was absent. Even in his absence, I think we'd have done great on defense if these guys could finish tackles and if the offense (and Kerley) didn't march them right back out onto the field so fast.

What game were you watching? Defense was not the problem yesterday. The defense had them in the game. Forced 3 straight 3 and outs after the Wallace score and the Jets couldnt move the F'ing ball. You cant expect the defense to be on the field that much vs. horrible field position and keep getting off the field.

Jeeeezzzzus

Big picture, yes...but technically, its Sparano's.

The game I watched saw our D allow Pitt to be 8 of 14 on 3rd down conversions. No team can win games like that,.

big time defenses force turnovers....neither side of the ball was very good yesterday

every 3rd down felt automatic....hell even on the 3rd and 30 play the Jets give up 25 yards of field position

The Jets had what, 4 turnovers in the first game? They played a ball control offense on the road in week 2 without their best defender. Even big time defenses dont get turnovers every game. Hell, that Steelers defense didnt cause a turnover.

The defense did enough to give the Jets offense a chance.

The Jets had what, 4 turnovers in the first game? They played a ball control offense on the road in week 2 without their best defender. Even big time defenses dont get turnovers every game. Hell, that Steelers defense didnt cause a turnover.

The defense did enough to give the Jets offense a chance.

The Jets defense allowed a touchdown on a 3rd and 16 prayer. They werent very good yesterday either.

Sanchez is the QB. You don't put in Tim Tebow off the bench for a quick strike with under a minute left in the half.

Missed tackles is not poor strategy. This is my point. Apparently you believe that missed tackles are synonymous with bad gameplans.

Harris I'm not a huge fan of - or more to the point, I'm not a huge fan of at his bloated 8-digit cap figure. He's slow and can't cover. But he's usually a damn reliable tackler.

My point is your cause and effect don't match. 3rd down conversions in 1 particular game are due to players playing badly. Rex didn't suddenly become a defensive coaching 'tard. He built a defense around a particular all-time-great player and that player was absent. Even in his absence, I think we'd have done great on defense if these guys could finish tackles and if the offense (and Kerley) didn't march them right back out onto the field so fast.

Have You not seen our team play like sh*t like we did yesterday year in and year out? The bottomline is you have to do something. We used to kill Herm for stupid sh*t all the time and that my friend (yesterday) was pure stupidity. Missed tackles is something you are suppossed to fix right? You fix that during practice. You preach that in practice. How many times will we see our team underacheive? Missed tackles will lead to your gameplan being destroyed by the opponent. Hence the need for corrective action by the HC (in game strategy) either defensively or on offense. I did not see anything that I can say we really tried. And 2 time outs left with 1:30 left on the clock and good field position proves my point that we are not ready to play at a high level, nor are we in a position to beat the "big boys". And my reference to Tebow is at the very least having Tebow in there even if he doesn't touch the ball gives that little doubt in Pitts D that they need to account for him. That's what I am saying. Allowing Pitt to be 8 of 14 on third down conversions and allowing 10 minute drives is pure BS when you think you have a "great" D. That is pure nonsense.

The Jets defense allowed a touchdown on a 3rd and 16 prayer. They werent very good yesterday either.

That was a pretty fluky play. And I did find it encouraging how easily the blitzers were getting to Big Ben...once they got there, is a different story but thats what the guy does.

The defense was good enough. I dont know why its so hard for everyone to grasp but the field position battle was dominated, I mean absolutely dominated by the Steelers. The Jets defense actually did a very good job of not letting that game get out of control considering the offense didnt complete a pass for 3 quarters of play.

That was a pretty fluky play. And I did find it encouraging how easily the blitzers were getting to Big Ben...once they got there, is a different story but thats what the guy does.

The defense was good enough. I dont know why its so hard for everyone to grasp but the field position battle was dominated, I mean absolutely dominated by the Steelers. The Jets defense actually did a very good job of not letting that game get out of control considering the offense didnt complete a pass for 3 quarters of play.

when the Steelers convert 3rd downs at the rate they did, plus the Jets wr's leaving yards all over the field....plus a muffed punt....plus not even trying to capitalize on decent field position and two timeouts to end the half....

If were sending blitzes at Ben but we cant wrap up it means nothing....and flukey plays are part of the game...Cromartie screwed up. That was inexcusable.

Right 8 of 14 third down conversions is really good and allowing 10 minutes drives puts you in the hall of fame! come on man.

Boom!

The Jets had 1 offensive possession in the 2nd half that lasted over 2 1/2 minutes and that was the first drive after the half. The defense was on the field forever in the 2nd half.

when the Steelers convert 3rd downs at the rate they did, plus the Jets wr's leaving yards all over the field....plus a muffed punt....plus not even trying to capitalize on decent field position and two timeouts to end the half....

Is this just a rant? It doesnt have anything to do with my post.

If were sending blitzes at Ben but we cant wrap up it means nothing....and flukey plays are part of the game...Cromartie screwed up. That was inexcusable.

Disagree. It does mean something. If it were any other QB, those would have either been sacks, or incompletions and the D would have looked dominate. Put it this way, if that was Tom Brady, that stat wouldnt be so damning.

Right 8 of 14 third down conversions is really good and allowing 10 minutes drives puts you in the hall of fame! come on man.

You lack the understanding of what time of possession and field position does to a defense.

Disagree. It does mean something. If it were any other QB, those would have either been sacks, or incompletions and the D would have looked dominate. Put it this way, if that was Tom Brady, that stat wouldnt be so damning.

You lack the understanding of what time of possession and field position does to a defense.

You must be kidding! 8 of 14 dude......they couldn't stop no one yesterday.

If our D plays like this on this coming Sunday, we will be 1 and 2....and you know what's waiting for us the following 2 weeks don't you?

Have You not seen our team play like sh*t like we did yesterday year in and year out? The bottomline is you have to do something. We used to kill Herm for stupid sh*t all the time and that my friend (yesterday) was pure stupidity. Missed tackles is something you are suppossed to fix right? You fix that during practice. You preach that in practice. How many times will we see our team underacheive? Missed tackles will lead to your gameplan being destroyed by the opponent. Hence the need for corrective action by the HC (in game strategy) either defensively or on offense. I did not see anything that I can say we really tried. And 2 time outs left with 1:30 left on the clock and good field position proves my point that we are not ready to play at a high level, nor are we in a position to beat the "big boys". And my reference to Tebow is at the very least having Tebow in there even if he doesn't touch the ball gives that little doubt in Pitts D that they need to account for him. That's what I am saying. Allowing Pitt to be 8 of 14 on third down conversions and allowing 10 minute drives is pure BS when you think you have a "great" D. That is pure nonsense.

That's just silly. Tell me what "corrective action by the HC (in game strategy)" should be made to counter the lack of tackling after he'd already repeatedly put them in the perfect spot to make these plays?

That's just silly. Tell me what "corrective action by the HC (in game strategy)" should be made to counter the lack of tackling after he'd already repeatedly put them in the perfect spot to make these plays?

Who's responsibily for tackling? and who's in charge of the D? and how many times last year we had the same story bro? Raiders, Giants, Bronco's and now add the Steelers to the list. I know its easier to blame Sanchez..... in my book 8 of 14 3rd down conversions allowed speeks VOLUMES!

It's funny you mention this. Did you see the play where Brady avoided the sack yesterday and the defender kind of slid off of him but then Brady went down anyway? That guy is such a pussy its not funny.

Archived