That's the great defense?

JFtoLong

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys answer this question about the great Rex D, who many 3rd down conversions did Pitt have?

Answer this question honestly and you will come to realize that our D and Rex is/are not that good.

A great D, does not perform on 3rd down's like that. A real good head coach, has an in game strategy that will adjust when he see's its not working. With Rex, he just keeps banging his head against the wall hoping he can break it.

I could care less where this D finishes in a statistical way, what good is it to be a top 5 and not make the playoffs? Give me a break.

Guys answer this question about the great Rex D, who many 3rd down conversions did Pitt have?

Answer this question honestly and you will come to realize that our D and Rex is/are not that good.

A great D, does not perform on 3rd down's like that. A real good head coach, has an in game strategy that will adjust when he see's its not working. With Rex, he just keeps banging his head against the wall hoping he can break it.

I could care less where this D finishes in a statistical way, what good is it to be a top 5 and not make the playoffs? Give me a break.

100% agreement.

His blitzes fool nobody, and whenever they need a stop, they don't get it.

***looks at list of top 10 defenses for past 5 years****

***looks at your post***

***looks back at list of top 10 defenses***

***looks at your post***

The defense was better than the final score. They kept the team in the game despite the fact that the offense was a pee wee football offense from the mid 2nd quarter onward. JMO, but I do think that people vastly overrate what we have on defense. Its a good but not great defense. We have two great corners, some good pieces and a great DC as a head coach, but its been a bend but dont break defense for a few years now. They need an offense to be effective. They arent a snuff you out team that lets you win 7-3. You can win 20-17, which is still very good, but you need a pulse on offense. On the bright side the Jets offense cant be much worse than it was today. The biggest problem with the defense is that they still believe the press clippings that were from 2009 rather than being told to look in the mirror by the head coach and see what they are now. They cant afford the kind of missed tackles and poor attempts at a sack we saw today.

This. Considering the field position the Jets were giving the Steelers because of the inept offense for 2 hours, I think the D played pretty damn well.

Some of the 3rd down plays were fluky too. And if it werent Big Ben back their, the Jets D would have looked dominate with the success of the blitzers that were getting back there untouched.

Well Rex did win the SB with the Ravens didn't he? Either way doesn't mean the defense isn't good. Stats say otherwise.

i dont care what he did before he came here. I only care about the Jets.

and with the Jets we've had minor success. Defense has been good, but not good enough, especially with our offense. Im tired of hanging our hats on a defense that hasnt won anything.

and with the Jets we've had minor success. Defense has been good, but not good enough, especially with our offense. Im tired of hanging our hats on a defense that hasnt won anything.

5 years ago this type of team might have won a ring. Not anymore. You can make the playoffs with a top-flight defense but you're not winning titles without a QB. Hence the problems the Jets have, and to a lesser extent the 49ers and Ravens (Flacco is good not great).

i dont care what he did before he came here. I only care about the Jets.

This +1

***looks at list of top 10 defenses for past 5 years****

***looks at your post***

***looks back at list of top 10 defenses***

***looks at your post***

Yeah-we're number 6! or something.

Those rankings don't mean much when you take dumb penalties,don't tackle well, blown coverages and fail to sack the QB because you insist on trying to tackle a 300 lb 6'6" guy at shoulder height. Even the HC of the NYJ said the failure of the defense to get off the field on 3rd down killed the Jets. Beating the Steelers in Pittsburgh withotu revis was a tall order, but it wasn't much helped by the supposedly-vaunted defense. Again the defense right now is Revis, Devito and Pouha and a bunch of JAGs. Couples, Wilkerson, Maybin and Pace do very little(is Pace on this team?). Harris can stop the run, and not much else. Scott refuses to wrap up. Best I can tell he wants to know who he is supposed to tackle, so he lets the runner get by him to read the name on the back. Cro is good only when Revis is taking the top WR, same is true of Wilson. We now see teams were reluctant to pay Landry because despite being a big hitter he's a freaking dope. Bell did okay.

But if there's a top secret trophy ceremony for defensive rankings, don't hold out and tell us all when and where it is.

Pace was probably our best player on defense in Week 1. This entire post is trash.

3 tackles and 2 assists constitute "greatness". Got it.

This is why Jets fans piss me off. the look at mediocrity and because it wears green pretends it's actually any good.

3 tackles and 2 assists constitute "greatness". Got it.

This is why Jets fans piss me off. the look at mediocrity and because it wears green pretends it's actually any good.

Pace literally dominated at the point of attack. Why do people try to use numbers on defense to pump a player up or put him down? It doesn't work.

yeah you are overreatcing a little.

Steelers OL kicked the Jets DL ass in the second half.

Not surprising.What you saw today is what Steelers football is about,

Be Physical.

No they did not, Big Ben kicked our ass, we where in the back field more often then their half back. We just Wiffed on at least 4 sacks and Ben just hung in there and delivered.

Wilson is Ok, Cro played well bar one catch. Easier to pick on out Pass defence without the Best Corner ever to put on cleats is out.

No I was not. Watch the Week 1 game over again or something, I'm not compelled to argue a point several other people here have already made.

Here's the boxscore/play log of dominance. Sorry you find statistics and actually looking at the game logs such a bother. No sacks, no INTs,no fumbles forced, one tackle for a loss, one for no gain, one other, and little bit more.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201209090nyj.htm

Like CJ Spiller running so much in the 2nd half right past pace and his chums he needed oxygen?

Anytime "we" point out the fact that perhaps our vaunted D is not "that" good "we" get attacked. The reality is exactly what you are stating.

Archived