NHL Lockout .

GATA

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phoenix to Quebec Im cool with. I went to a game in Phoenix back in March. Place was half full. Could walk around the upper bowl and get a seat pretty much where I wanted... got seats for 10 bucks on stubhub... thing that annoyed me the most is how hockey-dumb the fans were. They were trying their best, but they really didnt get it... the little things that make hockey great was completely lost on them. It was a beautiful arena in a nice shopping mall, but 12,400+ fan average isnt good enough.

Im pissed at Ratner for not designing the Barclays center to better fit hockey. the capacity is 14,500 for hockey and that just isnt good enough as they will have to have the highest ticket price to compensate for less seats.

Its going to suck playing there as the Isles will not be allowed to leave Long Island. As much as I love the Isles, either they or the Devils need to move out of the area... or both. its just not working... and since the devils have that nice new shiny arena i dont think they are going anywhere.

I would not suggest moving a team to Hartford, as the market wont be able to support a team since they are squeezed between the rangers & bruins.

Seattle would be interesting (especially with their new arena?) since they have a WHL team with decent attendance (4200- seats about 6200+) but will that translate to fans supporting an NHL team for years?? who knows..Portland does even better with attendance (6075, with 10,000+ capacity) but again... will they support it?

Biggest problem for hockey is the game itself. Too many fans cant relate to it or truly understand it. And with the ridiculous ticket prices, who is going to go to a game for $50+ and not really "get it" thats why Im all for moving teams to Canada to areas where it will be supported properly.

Not sure how the Barclays Center is so NHL-unfriendly. The Devils and Islanders were supposed to play a preseason game there, but doubt that will happen now. The rangers played a few preseason games there when the Meadowlands Arena opened before the Devils moved here. No matter-the Coliseum is a dump, Hempstead and Nassau are not going to do anything for Wang, moving to Brooklyn would seem to be a quick fix.

Not sure how the Barclays Center is so NHL-unfriendly. The Devils and Islanders were supposed to play a preseason game there, but doubt that will happen now. The rangers played a few preseason games there when the Meadowlands Arena opened before the Devils moved here. No matter-the Coliseum is a dump, Hempstead and Nassau are not going to do anything for Wang, moving to Brooklyn would seem to be a quick fix.

The seating setup is horrendous. basically a horseshoe shape. limited capacity. I just wished Bruce Ratner had taken it into consideration before building the Barclays.

It is sad that Nassau County will not get a new arena it needs, and the team will have to move. I just wish it was a better option than what they have available,.

The seating setup is horrendous. basically a horseshoe shape. limited capacity. I just wished Bruce Ratner had taken it into consideration before building the Barclays.

It is sad that Nassau County will not get a new arena it needs, and the team will have to move. I just wish it was a better option than what they have available,.

\

\Have you been in the arena- how do you know it is not user friendly?

UPDATE : http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=642785

NEW YORK -- The National Hockey League announced today the cancellation of the 2012-13 regular-season schedule through October 24. A total of 82 regular-season games were scheduled for Oct. 11 through Oct. 24.

The cancellation was necessary because of the absence of a Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NHL Players' Association and the NHL.

Stick a fork in the season. It's over. I don't see the players budging on this one.

Stick a fork in the season. It's over. I don't see the players budging on this one.

At some point aren't the big owners going to come to their senses? How long can the Dolans, Mike Ilitch,Ron Berkle. the owners of the Habs and Leafs put up with this idiocy? There's a deal to be made, along with an understandting aout shifting some losers around.

At some point aren't the big owners going to come to their senses? How long can the Dolans, Mike Ilitch,Ron Berkle. the owners of the Habs and Leafs put up with this idiocy? There's a deal to be made, along with an understandting aout shifting some losers around.

One would hope so, but I don't have any faith. The fact they're willing to sacrifice the Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium for this speaks volumes.

ESPN.com news services

The NHL has offered its locked-out players a 50-50 split in hockey-related revenue, league commissioner Gary Bettman said Tuesday.

The NHL's latest proposal is contingent on the regular season beginning on Nov. 2, which would preserve the league's customary 82-game schedule.

Bettman announced the NHL's offer following labor negotiations in Toronto, where the league and the players' union discussed core economic issues rather than continuing to focus on secondary issues.

The NHL's owners have remained adamant that players accept a significant drop from the 57 percent of revenue they received under the salary cap in the last contract. The players don't want what they consider more massive cuts at a time when the overall revenue pot reached record numbers ($3.3 billion) last year.

The lockout turned a month old Monday, the same day NHL players would have received their first league paychecks of the season -- had there been hockey.

The lockout already has wiped out the entire preseason. A deal will have to be struck soon to prevent more cancellations and provide an opportunity to make up the lost games and have a full 82-game season.

Not looking good

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said the players' union made three counteroffers to the league's latest proposal on Thursday, but they were "nowhere close" to what the NHL offered Tuesday.

"We were done in an hour today because there was really nothing there," Bettman said after leaving the NHLPA offices in Toronto.

Cross Checks Blog

Scott Burnside and Pierre LeBrun write about all things happening in the NHL. Cross Checks

The NHL made a proposal Tuesday in what it said was an attempt to preserve a full 82-game schedule. The league publicly released the plan Wednesday.

The plan included a 50-50 split in hockey-related revenue. The NHL proposed in July to cut the percentage of hockey-related revenue from 57 percent to 43 percent, then increased its offer in September to about 47 percent.

NHL players' union head Donald Fehr met with players afterward to formulate the union's response. In a letter to players and agents, he said the management plan would cost his members more than $1.6 billion over six years.

Thursday's meetings, according to Bettman, were a "step backward."

"I am to say the least totally disappointed," he said.

Information from ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun, ESPNNewYork.com's Katie Strang and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Looks like no Winter Classic.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8583243/nhl-cancels-winter-classic-toronto-maple-leafs-detroit-red-wings-source-says

The NHL has decided to cancel the Winter Classic, which was slated to feature the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs at the University of Michigan's football stadium in Ann Arbor on Jan. 1, a source told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun on Friday.

In the six weeks since the lockout began, the work stoppage has caused the cancellation of hundreds of regular-season games, significant revenue loss and what may be irreversible damage to the game's reputation.

Friday, however, was the darkest day yet.

"It's definitely very disappointing," Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard said. "Not only was I looking forward to it but so were all my friends and family. It was going to be a great event not just for us but all the businesses and hotels and fans excited to see us and Toronto play."

A source familiar with the league's plan had told LeBrun the decision to cancel the game was green-lighted after a final internal meeting at NHL offices in New York on Friday morning. The league is expected to announce the cancellation on Friday afternoon.

Cross Checks Blog

nhl.gifScott Burnside and Pierre LeBrun write about all things happening in the NHL. Cross Checks

The annual outdoor game is the latest, and by far the most significant, of the lockout's casualties.

The game is not only a huge money-maker for the league, but also a signature event for the game, and its cancellation does not bode well for what is to come.

"It's just a shame for the game," said Anaheim Ducks defenseman Cam Fowler, who is a suburban Detroit native. "You definitely feel for the city because of the opportunity it presents and how exciting it can be for the fans. You feel for them. It hurts the game."

The decision to cancel the game was based on a number of factors and logistics was a concern.

The league was tasked with a unique challenge this year in building two rinks -- one at "The Big House" and one at Comerica Park -- and has a contract with the former that requires the NHL to pay for any expenses occurred by the university if the event was canceled later than Nov. 2. The NHL also owed $250,000 of the $3 million rental fee on Nov. 2.

This is not believed to be the biggest deal-breaker, however.

The league did not want to host such an event without the usual bells and whistles -- HBO's "24/7"show documenting the event would've been virtually impossible to pull off -- and it did not want the pageantry of the event tainted by the work stoppage.

"That's one of those things that you were really looking forward to this year," said Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall. "Everyone here, not only the players but the fans. Everyone would be bummed out."

The Winter Classic is touted by the NHL as a celebration of the game, so canceling sends a a tough message after a league-imposed lockout has wiped out almost the first two months of the season.

"I don't know if they're trying to send a message or what," Kronwall added. "I don't even know if they decide to cancel it, can they put it back on if we do come to an agreement? I think there's a lot of speculating."

The cancellation of the game does not spell the demise of the entire season, however.

Although NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has stated that an entire 82-game season is no longer possible, the two sides can still broker a deal to salvage a shortened season.

A source confirmed to LeBrun that NHLPA special council Steve Fehr and NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly have tentatively agreed to resume bargaining; however, no specifics about format, location and day have been agreed upon. The two sides have not traded proposals or met face-to-face for a formal bargaining session in over two weeks.

What will come of that conversation remains to be seen.

At this point you might as well take Bettman out and string him up. What a tool. This is one of those times where you wish there was a rival hockey league like it used to be with old WHA.

Archived