Double standard? Yankees will not let Posada play in WBC

faba

Yankees won't let Posada play in Baseball ClassicESPN.com news services

Jorge Posada was ready to play for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic. Unfortunately for Posada, the New York Yankees had other ideas.

Jorge Posada

Catcher

New York Yankees

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

GM HR RBI R OBP AVG

142 19 71 67 .352 .262

The Yankees blocked Posada from participating, telling Major League Baseball that Posada was indispensable and was concerned the heavy workload he incurs during the season would be added to and might cause injury, The New York Post reported.

"As a courtesy I called the Yankees to advise them that Jorge wanted to participate in the World Baseball Classic," agent Seth Levinson told the paper. "The Yankees filed an objection that was accepted and Jorge was not eligible despite his desire to play."

Posada felt an urge to represent Puerto Rico in the tournament, wanting to make his family proud.

"I wanted to play since my family is from Puerto Rico, it's where I am from and I was excited," Posada told The Post. "I was the first one to ask for the documents. I can't do anything about it. The Yankees have the last word. I respect that and I will prepare for spring training like I always do."

Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez and Robinson Cano are expected to play in the WBC. Hideki Matsui will likely be added to the Japan roster as well.

This World Baseball Classic is a horrible idea.

If some player gets injured, AND IT WILL HAPPEN, the owners will not be happy.

A player is just as likely to hurt himself in the offseason by playing basketball (Boone) or riding a motorcycle (Jeff Kent).

Outside of soccer, baseball is the only sport that can truly be labeled a world sport. The World Baseball Classic is a great idea. This way the Asian community can not jam a bunch of ringers and there are no Daniel Ammonte's.

This World Baseball Classic is a horrible idea.

If some player gets injured, AND IT WILL HAPPEN, the owners will not be happy.

Clint Barmes was lost for the season carrying a bag of groceries up the stairs. Guys have just as much risk getting injured or getting hit by a car outside of baseball.

This is a great idea, and for a lot of the players, it's an honor to represent their country. Nobody says a word when NBA players and NHL players are playing in the Olympics, so why the hell is this a problem? And since when do you care what some greedy SOB owner is concerned about.

If they do this once every four years say like soccer's World Cup then I think it is a great idea.

Posada should play if he wants too but you could see this coming. Other teams will follow up on this as well unfortunately and we will see other players get pulled from this as well.

Sorry folks, but I disagree with you here;

If I'm an owner, I am going straight to MLB and telling them that I'm paying so and so "x millions" per year, and he is vital to my team, and I am not allowing him to compete during ST for anyone but my team.

And I have the language in the contract to support me. MLB's own contracts give the team full contol over the plaayer's activities during the Baseball season, and during ST after March 1, the mandatory reporting date.

How would the Mets feel if Pedro gets hurt during these games, and has rotor cuff surgery, and is lost for the season. There go those millions that Wilpon and Omar took on for a run in 2006.

Selig does not want this in the courts, so if any owner pressed the issue, they would get their way. But few of the owners would want the potential publicity backlash to go this route.

Until the first guy gets hurt. Then, all hell breaks loose. :roll:

Sorry folks, but I disagree with you here;

If I'm an owner, I am going straight to MLB and telling them that I'm paying so and so "x millions" per year, and he is vital to my team, and I am not allowing him to compete during ST for anyone but my team.

And I have the language in the contract to support me. MLB's own contracts give the team full contol over the plaayer's activities during the Baseball season, and during ST after March 1, the mandatory reporting date.

How would the Mets feel if Pedro gets hurt during these games, and has rotor cuff surgery, and is lost for the season. There go those millions that Wilpon and Omar took on for a run in 2006.

Selig does not want this in the courts, so if any owner pressed the issue, they would get their way. But few of the owners would want the potential publicity backlash to go this route.

Until the first guy gets hurt. Then, all hell breaks loose. :roll:

mbn - I agree with you. If I was an owner, I would hate the idea also.

However, I think the concept is a great idea. Do we do away with Spring Training or Preseason Football when a player is lost for the season during a meaningless game? No.

As discussed above, a player is as likely to get hurt doing normal day-to-day activites.

A baseball tournament comprised of teams from the US, Japan, Dominican Republic, China, Venezuela and Puerto Rico competing for bragging rights.

This is not a bada idea. I fully understand your point and agree with it if I am looking at it from a owner stand point.

PFSIKH;

I hear you. But let me give you 1 player, and you can see where I am coming from.

The potentially best pitcher that Taiwan may have for this Baseball Classic is Wang, from the Yankees. Since he performed well on the Big League stage, and in NY with the world reknowned Yankees, it would be a major coup for Taiwan to get him.

But he missed a lot of time on the DL last year with a shoulder problem. He did not get surgery, and was able to come back, but still, his arm is a concern for the Yankees.

Now, I must let him go off for 2 + weeks in the middle of ST? Where I can't control his preparation for the season?

No way. No possible chance, if I had a say.

Archived