Calling All Beer Snobs

Bombdirt

I need some advice/info from you guys on the east coast.

I've been trying to find a good-quality beer to drink when I decide to imbibe. I drink far, far, far less than I used to, and I kind of want to get that "signature" brew to call my own for those special occasions. I've recently developed a taste for Samuel Adams, which is saying quite a bit given all the slumming I did in my 20s with Natural Light/Busch Light/Miller Lite/etc. That being said, drinking Samuel Adams bothers me. It's certainly not because of this:

I think it's the big, fat "Boston" on the label. There it sits in Patriots red and white, mocking me as I raise the bottle to my lips and think about how I wished I liked baseball more than I do this year.

So, here's what I was wondering: what are the popular beers among JN regulars? I'd like to try something different, just as long as it's not too heavy (I'm not a fan of Guinness and the like; the lighter the better, just not so light that I look like a wuss). Best case scenario, I'm sure there are plenty of good beers brewed in New York (and I would need something that's available nationally) so that I can stay true to the cause while I'm getting hammered. Can anyone give me a suggestion?

If you can get Saranac where you are, you should, A great variety of beers. You can't go wrong with Yuengling, but don't limit yourself to their lager. There's really an endless choice of regional brews these days. Find out what's made near you. Might be a gem.

I'm not sure if you can get it in Illinois, but my beer of choice is Yuengling Lager. It's only available in some parts of the country so you may not be able to get this one. My 2nd choice is St. Pauli Girl. But Yuengling is #1 far above the rest.

Brooklyn Lager >>>>>>>>>> Sam Adams

Plus, it's got a green label. Total win.

brooklyn-lager_lg_html.jpg

I know all about Yuengling; my brother-in-law has a standing agreement with any of his friends who hit the east coast; they bring back a case for him. Long story short: we can't get it here.

That Brooklyn Lager looks sweet. I've never heard of it, though, so I doubt I'd be able to get it.

Brooklyn Lager >>>>>>>>>> Sam Adams

Plus, it's got a green label. Total win.

brooklyn-lager_lg_html.jpg

I attended a NYPD/FDNY Widows and Oprhans fundrasier at Shea about 10 years ago. This was a pretty heavy beer-drinking crowd, Brooklyn Lager was free, but most people-EVERYONE- disliked it so much they were buying the bottled domestic stuff at the concessions stands instead of drinking the supposed premium FREE beer.

My point; most decent beer, even mass-produced domestic or common imports are usually just fine as long as they are cold. As others have said Yuengling is pretty good and

reasonable. But when I go to the local distributor I'm more likely to buy a 36 of Miller Lite or Bud Light for $20/25 rather than spend $12 for a 6-pick of some craft brew that may not be all that good. .

Also anyone else notice the formula for Bud has changed. It now has a really nasty aftertaste that I don't remember it having before.

I attended a NYPD/FDNY Widows and Oprhans fundrasier at Shea about 10 years ago. This was a pretty heavy beer-drinking crowd, Brooklyn Lager was free, but most people-EVERYONE- disliked it so much they were buying the bottled domestic stuff at the concessions stands instead of drinking the supposed premium FREE beer.

My point; most decent beer, even mass-produced domestic or common imports are usually just fine as long as they are cold. As others have said Yuengling is pretty good and

reasonable. But when I go to the local distributor I'm more likely to buy a 36 of Miller Lite or Bud Light for $20/25 rather than spend $12 for a 6-pick of some craft brew that may not be all that good. .

Also anyone else notice the formula for Bud has changed. It now has a really nasty aftertaste that I don't remember it having before.

Widows and orphans don't know sh*t about good beer.

Widows and orphans don't know sh*t about good beer.

Cops and firemen do. Look if you like it (and will overpay for it) good for you. But listening to any ad for Brooklyn Brewery and they aren't selling beer, they are selling snob appeal; drinking Brooklyn Brewey products make you better and smarter that the guy chugging Coors Light out of a tin.They have some commercial on this very morning on the Jets' pregame babblling about Japanese hops and "Cezanne" lagers. wtf is that?

The difference in price to me anyway isn't justified. And in some (most?) instances the beer itself is some bitter stuff. Again, props to Yuengling. It's reasonably priced (may be a little more expensive, sometimes if it's on sale no more than the mass domestics) and once you ice it up it's very good.

I dont drink it often but if its there i will. People have told me im crazy about this point buti noticed the change right around he time AB sold out to In-Bev

Cops and firemen do. Look if you like it (and will overpay for it) good for you. But listening to any ad for Brooklyn Brewery and they aren't selling beer, they are selling snob appeal; drinking Brooklyn Brewey products make you better and smarter that the guy chugging Coors Light out of a tin.They have some commercial on this very morning on the Jets' pregame babblling about Japanese hops and "Cezanne" lagers. wtf is that?

The difference in price to me anyway isn't justified. And in some (most?) instances the beer itself is some bitter stuff. Again, props to Yuengling. It's reasonably priced (may be a little more expensive, sometimes if it's on sale no more than the mass domestics) and once you ice it up it's very good.

This thread is clearly titled Calling All Beer Snobs. If you and your friends enjoy chugging Budweiser or Coors Light, you are very much in the wrong thread.

I brought up Brooklyn, because the OP said he liked Sam's, and I know that Brooklyn is a quality NY alternative. My personal tastes go to much more "bitter" beers like Anchor Steam or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. But then again, I'm in the right thread. :)

I know all about Yuengling; my brother-in-law has a standing agreement with any of his friends who hit the east coast; they bring back a case for him. Long story short: we can't get it here.

That Brooklyn Lager looks sweet. I've never heard of it, though, so I doubt I'd be able to get it.

Yuengling's a good cross-over beer. It's not all malt like the microbrews, but it's not Bud-saké, either.

Is this good? I was in Yellowstone at the end of the summer, and they were selling this and it's paraphernalia in the park. Didn't have the opportunity to try it, though.

If you like Brown Ale (I do) its delicious. Lighter than a porter but less bitter than a pale ale.

Brooklyn Brewery is OK, but Sixpoint is by far the best brewery in that borough now.

They used to be only available on draft, but about a year ago, they started canning (not bottling) so that homebodies could enjoy their delectable concoctions. However, at $9.99 for a 4-pack, it's not cheap, so imagine that the additional cost is to cover the health insurance premiums and pension for the union brewery workers to justify the pricetag, slats.

I agree with you, in that people who prefer macro-brews don't actually like beer.

It's akin to preferring over-processed, individually wrapped slices of American "cheese" over an aged, extra-sharp cheddar, because the latter is too pungent.

I need some advice/info from you guys on the east coast.

I've been trying to find a good-quality beer to drink when I decide to imbibe. I drink far, far, far less than I used to, and I kind of want to get that "signature" brew to call my own for those special occasions. I've recently developed a taste for Samuel Adams, which is saying quite a bit given all the slumming I did in my 20s with Natural Light/Busch Light/Miller Lite/etc. That being said, drinking Samuel Adams bothers me. It's certainly not because of this:

[/media]

I think it's the big, fat "Boston" on the label. There it sits in Patriots red and white, mocking me as I raise the bottle to my lips and think about how I wished I liked baseball more than I do this year.

So, here's what I was wondering: what are the popular beers among JN regulars? I'd like to try something different, just as long as it's not too heavy (I'm not a fan of Guinness and the like; the lighter the better, just not so light that I look like a wuss). Best case scenario, I'm sure there are plenty of good beers brewed in New York (and I would need something that's available nationally) so that I can stay true to the cause while I'm getting hammered. Can anyone give me a suggestion?

The best beer to have is anything local to you and tastes good. No one will ever agree on whats the best.

I love Sam Adams Cherry Wheat & Blue Moon (not micro but what I like... But my go-to beer is a local place here in Mass- Wachusett Blueberry. All 3 of these are great to drink during a game and still feel like the fat slob I am and not some pretentious snob.

I like spending time in various local "packys" to see whats available & ask them if they will allow you to make your own 4 or 6 pack of different beers. Great way to try different micro brews. With 13 games left, thats 78 beers you can try to find the right one for our run through the playoffs!!!!!!!

Archived