Revis out for the year- torn ACL [Merged 3X]

Matt39

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Revis took the leap in 2009, now is the chance for someone else to take the leap. The Jets got rid of Dixon today after his woeful performance yesterday. Let's see what the young DLine studs can do in taking pressure off the secondary.

Plus, let's see how Landry can help this defense now. Perhaps he makes the elite leap to compensate for Revis' loss.

Look for as blitz-o-rama in an attempt to create enough pressure so that the secondary is not exposed for what it is. What else can they do?

That's the only reason I think this has the potential to not be quite as bad as we think it could be. The Jets D is definitely not nearly as aggressive as they once were and Revis was definitely a big part of that. Of course that's not say Revis is at all to blame for that, because he played phenomenally, but it felt like because of that, sometimes Rex just had too much faith in the Jets' coverage and it would only be a matter of time before another non-Revis-DB was going to get beat in coverage. With Revis gone, there's a good chance that will be gone, and Rex will move back towards the more aggressive approach he once took with this D. Now whether or not that works out is an entirely different question, but there's some potential there.

Not to mention as someone else said, having a guy like Cromartie to step up into that spot is a huge plus that still gives the Jets one of the better CBs in the league (even if he's not on Revis' level) and, outside of that one play against Pittsburgh where he completely lost the ball, he's looked really good this year and been playing more physical than I can ever remember seeing him play before.

Revis took the leap in 2009, now is the chance for someone else to take the leap. The Jets got rid of Dixon today after his woeful performance yesterday. Let's see what the young DLine studs can do in taking pressure off the secondary.

Plus, let's see how Landry can help this defense now. Perhaps he makes the elite leap to compensate for Revis' loss.

You would make a great grievance counselor.

this is the only way forward. there's no way the d can replace Revis. but if the O steps up, that's the only way this ends happily for the Jets.

Yeah, while they can't replace Revis, I think with a different approach the Jets have the potential to continue to field at least a respectable D. But it won't mean a damn thing if the O doesn't get it together.

That's the only reason I think this has the potential to not be quite as bad as we think it could be. The Jets D is definitely not nearly as aggressive as they once were and Revis was definitely a big part of that. Of course that's not say Revis is at all to blame for that, because he played phenomenally, but it felt like because of that, sometimes Rex just had too much faith in the Jets' coverage and it would only be a matter of time before another non-Revis-DB was going to get beat in coverage. With Revis gone, there's a good chance that will be gone, and Rex will move back towards the more aggressive approach he once took with this D. Now whether or not that works out is an entirely different question, but there's some potential there.

I'm sure the Jets will try a number of things over the course of the season to compensate for the loss of Revis, but I doubt that they'll wind up settling on more blitzes. They generally blitz less with Revis out of the lineup, because they need the extra people in coverage. If they're not getting to the QB with five guys, they'll abandon the blitz pretty quickly.

It'll be interesting to see if Rex becomes more of a full team head coach, and really gets involved with the offense as a way to be better as a football team - or, if he goes into his defensive bunker in an effort to coach up individuals to keep his dee as good as possible. I'd prefer he use the opportunity to grow as a coach, but the latter seems more likely.

We need Dick Vermeil to come in and give a teary-eyed declaration that the team will rally around Kyle Wilson.

It's certainly not good news but the D hasn't looked very good with Revis the last 3 weeks. I suspect this will either give everyone on the Defense a reason to step their game up or fold like a cheap suit. We're about to find out about the character of the team. I'm mildly optimistic the D starts playing to their talent level.

Not a lot to shout about at the moment with Revis done. ACL is such a bad injury for a CB.

It's a hollow Victory with 24 gone.

The Niners an't going to be bad two weeks running. Not felt his down about this team in many years. I feel like a total rebuild is in order and we will be starting a new in 2013 with new GM and HC. Such is life as a Jets fan...

Yeah, while they can't replace Revis, I think with a different approach the Jets have the potential to continue to field at least a respectable D. But it won't mean a damn thing if the O doesn't get it together.

With Revis out, Sanchez has to prove that he is the best player on the team by performing well, rather than everyone else sucking down to his level.

this is the only way forward. there's no way the d can replace Revis. but if the O steps up, that's the only way this ends happily for the Jets.

There is still 13 games on the schedule. It won't be easy, but not like it was before, merely way easier with Revis. past time for Kyle Wilson to step up.

It certainly sucks and not what you want to hear at all, but it's not completely cut and dry. This is going to change the Jets defensive approach and game plans, and hopefully that gives some other guys an opportunity to step up and help fill-in for that loss. It's not like the Jets are suddenly going to start throwing Wilson in single coverage against opposing teams best WRs and keeping everything else the same. They're obviously much better off with Revis, but hopefully the impact doesn't end up being as dramatic as it could be.

Of course, this is only one more reason that the offense (i.e., Sanchez) needs to get their sh*t together ASAP.

Sorry for the neg hit...andriods fault.

I happen to agree BG

Bet he is pissed that he did not hold out now. He gets to negotiate a new contract coming off ACL surgery now?

It's a shame he got hurt but I couldn't care less that he may lose out on some cash. He's probably made 75 million or more between football and endorsements. Unless he's a complete idiot he already has enough money to live a lavish lifestyle for the rest of his life without playing another down.

Archived