Revis out for the year- torn ACL [Merged 3X]

Matt39

This ****ing team. Swear to God. Gonna take a Jets break, I think. Maybe two weeks. Self-ban. The Miami game literally caused me to get a headache, which lasted until today. I'm not one of those emotionally-attached fruitbags who loses it over the Jets, either. I'm a nihilist, and it's exhausting.

can you go back to the DR ? we can have a fund raiser for you

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several NY Jets were asked to comment on the season ending injury to Darrelle Revis.  Here is what they had to say:

Calvin Pace

On whether it’s possible to replace Revis for the entire season…
No, I mean not with one person.  We’re not going to ask Kyle (Wilson) to go out and be Darrelle, we’re not going to ask Ellis (Lankster) to go out and be Darrelle. A number of people have to step up and try to affect the game in the same way he did. Obviously, it’s not going to be in the same manner.  We have to find a way to regroup and we (have to) try to get better as a whole defensively, it hasn’t been good enough.

On when he heard of Revis’s injury…
I talked to him after the game, then I saw him this morning and he said it was pretty much over.  It’s a sad moment, because to my knowledge, he’s never missed a game, the guy has always been healthy.  For somebody (who is hurt), (and) I’ve been hurt before, rehabbing is harder than playing, because you’re sitting out, watching the guys go out and practice, playing games, and you’re trying to stay positive.  It’s a tough situation, but everybody’s here for him, we’re going to try to keep his spirits up.  But again, we all have jobs to do on Sunday, so we just have to keep moving.

Kyle Wilson

On if he feels added pressure to make up for the loss of Darrelle Revis…
No, I just feel like I’m going (to go) out there and I’m going to continue to do my job. Go out there, make plays and have fun. Just play my game, that’s all I can do.

On if he will still seek out Revis as a mentor…
I’ll still be communicating with him. I always pick that guy’s brain. He’s obviously pretty good. Our communication will still be the same, but overall, I just have to continue to do my job, go out there, have fun and make plays.

On if he is confident that the team can overcome the loss of Revis…
Our team, we can do anything we put or minds to. I like the team we have. We have good chemistry and everybody is looking to do something to help out.

Rex Ryan

On if there is hope that Revis could return by the end of the year…
Well, again, I just found out five minutes ago about the ACL. I want to sit down certainly and talk to Darrelle, and we’ll do that first, before we decide if he’s on IR, if he’s not on IR. I want to talk to Darrelle. We’ve had seven players on our football team that have had this surgery before and are playing now. One of them is (Antonio) Cromartie. Cromartie had an ACL surgery. Certainly, it’s a big disappointment, but again, I know the way Darrelle is. This is a guy that is as competitive as it gets, and I don’t think there’s any doubt he’s going to come back strong from it. Again, like I said, before we ever do anything, I want to talk to Darrelle.

On his message to the team…
Everybody has to step up, and that’s it. I remember one game my first year here, I believe we lost Leon Washington and Kris Jenkins in the same game. Those are two outstanding football players, maybe one of them regarded as our best, maybe offensive weapon and one of them is certainly one of the best defensive players in the league, in Kris Jenkins. The very next year, we lose Kris after three plays. We have a history of stepping up. I’ve also had some experiences where you lose some corners. In Baltimore, I think we lost three or four corners in one year. Obviously, that was tough. We just have to pick it up and maybe we play some opponents differently. There’s different ways to skin a cat. You can’t just obviously take away their best receiver with one guy, but again, we’ll find a way.

On if the doctor told him about Revis’ injury last night…
Again, Dr. Montgomery wanted to make sure he saw the MRI. He had a feeling it was a significant knee injury, but he did not say specifically that it was the ACL.

On if Revis’ injury was a complete tear…
That’s my understanding, that it’s a tear.

On if his first priority is getting Revis fully recovered before he returns…
100 percent. No question.

On the recovery time for Revis and if there was any additional damage to his knee…
I don’t know the specifics of the injury and things. I think the doctors will know a lot more after they perform the surgery. There are some things and maybe there’s other things in there, maybe there’s not. I saw Cromartie and he talked about his surgery. Every one of them, every injury, is different. Certainly we’ll know a lot more after the surgery is performed.

On when Revis’ surgery will take place…
It might be two to three weeks before his knee (surgery). They do it differently now. They don’t just go in now. They try to get your knee healthier, then they perform the surgery.

On if he has seen Revis since last night…
No, I have not.

On how the defense will change without Revis…
Well, we’re fortunate because most teams only have one number one corner, or some don’t even have any.  We’re fortunate, we have the best in the league in Darrelle, and we also have a number one corner in (Antonio) Cromartie, so we’re fortunate there. We drafted Kyle Wilson to basically be a number two corner and that’s the way he’s going to play that role.  I’m confident in Kyle.  Then we have two young, tough players in Isaiah Trufant and Ellis Lankster that are going to have to step it up.

On Revis’ mood when he talked to him on the flight…
It’s just disappointing. This guy wants to win. When you think of Darrelle, as great a player as he is individually, this guy is a great teammate and wants to win. He wants his football team to win. I think that’s why he was so excited about this year. We know we’re a better football team than we were last year and we’re committed, every man, every person in this building is committed to that. We see it going in that direction, yet, now we have that injury and he might not be able to help us on the field like he really wants to. Clearly, any time a guy goes through an injury, it’s tough. There’s no doubt. You could certainly see that on his face.

On if he had a moment of panic while reflecting on Revis’ injury…
(It) never happens. Nope, (it) never happens. We have enough to get it done here. I remember coaching (in Baltimore), we had a once-in-a-lifetime player in Ray Lewis go down for 10 weeks once and Ed Reed followed it up by I think going down for five weeks one season. We had a lot of injuries, but you find a way to get it done. We’re built, this football team, we have a bunch of competitors. We will find a way to get this done.

This ****ing team. Swear to God. Gonna take a Jets break, I think. Maybe two weeks. Self-ban. The Miami game literally caused me to get a headache, which lasted until today. I'm not one of those emotionally-attached fruitbags who loses it over the Jets, either. I'm a nihilist, and it's exhausting.

No, my friend. We need you now more than ever.

lol @ the Ape's hating on Rex, already our 2nd or 3rd most successful coach of all-time (more of an indictment of our history of HC's but still). People want to have their cake and eat it too, complain about our lack of talent (Tannenbaum) and say Rex is a DC, not a HC. It can't be both, folks. Not when Rex has yet to have a losing season.

I agree with the criticism, but I believe it's premature. Wait until the next couple of press conferences this week to see if he's still doing the woe-is-me thing or looks fired up.

The press conference reminds me of the post Falcons loss in 2009 when Rex wrote off the team's playoff chances and then the next day was all happy smiles and firy talk the next day.

Yeah, you we'll see where he goes with it - but for as much as I'm being flamed by retards like JIF, I do feel there is credence to the observations I'm making. Everyone here likes to argue black and white issues, so the people giving me flack are trying to leap to conclusions about what I'm saying so they can take an opposing position... as you know I'm more of a middle ground guy, I live to work in the grey area. Especially on dumb sh*t like football.

I love Rex. Want to see him succeed. I just don't equate that to having no testicles and being completely incapable or unwilling to call him out on his mistakes, and constructively discussing his short-comings, or general buffoonery. Just like I discuss his strengths and successes.

I love it! So, now Rex is nothing but a fat pos because revis is hurt. lmao I mean, granted, he probably should've had the team f---- stretch instead of sleeping in. (Hill and Revis--and nobody touched them!) but it is a little ridiculous the way people turn on their team, their coaches...."Just fire him and bring in Gruden! Then if he doesn't work just get Parcells......" That's silly. I'm glad guys on this forum aren't playing for them or they'd really be f---in toast. lol

Really though-- His "body language" lmao smh

For the record, I turned on Rex a long time ago....

Revis (our best FB player) one of the best all-time, is lost for the season. I know its a blow to our defense. But now comes the time when our coach needs to adjust a few things to compensate for the loss of Revis. It can be done and not impossible. And now comes the time for everyone else on the defense to suck it up and make plays.

I want to think and believe we will be fine. I hope the urgency is felt on each defensive player on our team to come together and perform at the highest possible level. If they do this we will be fine.

We are 2-1 and we have a tough game coming up. But as we saw, they could be beat. They are traveling east.

GO JETS!

sure this is a bummer but let's get real, we can't go into every year thinking they are Super Bowl bound. Even with Revis this team was a longshot and Sanchez had to get MUCH better.

Sanchez can still get much better and that would be entertaining to watch. And in the end this is about entertainment, cause even fans who have seen multiple Super Bowl victories are sad when their team loses a big game or when a big injury happens.

But any Jets fan who really thought that 2012 would be their year needs to watch "America's Game" and see what Super Bowl teams look like.

I have a better idea...

Take a full year off, go to Tibet, study with the monks and take a vow of silence, and then come back. You'll feel better, and better yet, you won't be able to communicate with any of us. Win win if you ask me.

sure this is a bummer but let's get real, we can't go into every year thinking they are Super Bowl bound. Even with Revis this team was a longshot and Sanchez had to get MUCH better.

Sanchez can still get much better and that would be entertaining to watch. And in the end this is about entertainment, cause even fans who have seen multiple Super Bowl victories are sad when their team loses a big game or when a big injury happens.

But any Jets fan who really thought that 2012 would be their year needs to watch "America's Game" and see what Super Bowl teams look like.

we're going to the AFC championship game again this year. Count on it.

I have a better idea...

Take a full year off, go to Tibet, study with the monks and take a vow of silence, and then come back. You'll feel better, and better yet, you won't be able to communicate with any of us. Win win if you ask me.

I would miss him. So would Max and his bank account since T0m is great for posts and page views.

Archived