Is it all on Sanchez now?

slats

Let's talk hypothetically. I consider myself a hater. If Sanchez say goes 2-5 in this stretch but puts up #'s like 23-38 290 yards 2td 1int ON THE REG then I'm going to shut the **** up. It's the fact that he has a game like that, then goes and drops 2 sub 50% completion % games that just screams to me this kid can't get the job done on a consistent basis. IF he did that for a 7 game stretch I'd finally start believing in Sanchez again. But you cannot find any stretch like that in his career.

I think it's unreasonable to ask a defense to consistently hold teams sub 20 points in this league now. I also think it's unreasonable to ask a QB to score +30 every game. So if Sanchez is ON OFFENSE ALONE getting this team set up for 24-30 points a game I can't imagine too many folks that would complain.

If this happens, we will be talking about who needs Revis...

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha...this was about to be my response to Slats.

Its just another built in excuse when the season's over and Sanchez has shown no progression.

Meanwhile I have yet to see 1 person say that Sanchez should be given the starting job in 13' regardless of how he plays this year.

You guys create this caricature of a Sanchez fan in your heads and post as if they actually exist. I'm pretty sure everyone knows this is Marks year to show whether he's the long term answer or not.

Let's talk hypothetically. I consider myself a hater. If Sanchez say goes 2-5 in this stretch but puts up #'s like 23-38 290 yards 2td 1int ON THE REG then I'm going to shut the **** up. It's the fact that he has a game like that, then goes and drops 2 sub 50% completion % games that just screams to me this kid can't get the job done on a consistent basis. IF he did that for a 7 game stretch I'd finally start believing in Sanchez again. But you cannot find any stretch like that in his career.

I think it's unreasonable to ask a defense to consistently hold teams sub 20 points in this league now. I also think it's unreasonable to ask a QB to score +30 every game. So if Sanchez is ON OFFENSE ALONE getting this team set up for 24-30 points a game I can't imagine too many folks that would complain.

Yeah, you make complete sense. It will just be interesting to see the W-L argument flipped on it's head in that scenario because we know it's bound to happen.

Hopefully for Jets fans Sanchez has an epiphany this week and plays more like Week 1 for the next couple of games than Weeks 2 & 3.

And, also, hopefully for Sanchez he gets Keller back. Cumberland has been serviceable, but his boneheaded plays in the redzone the last 2 weeks can't be ignored.

Can anyone name the two Jets' players with the most sacks through these first 3 games?

I was expecting a, can anyone name a Jets QB who's thrown for 5k?

But this one if fun too. Does anyone have a sack other than McIntyre? I dont think they do.

What the Giants have so far? 4 or 5. I bet its not like dramatically different. Not that it means anything.

You guys create this caricature of a Sanchez fan in your heads and post as if they actually exist. I'm pretty sure everyone knows this is Marks year to show whether he's the long term answer or not.

Do you have smash on ignore or something?

At this point I think most people can see that he's not very good. He just has a few very committed defenders. It also just gets beaten to death due to the importance of the quarterback position and the perception that sh*tty quarterback play killed the 2009-2010 championship window.

Yeah, you make complete sense. It will just be interesting to see the W-L argument flipped on it's head in that scenario because we know it's bound to happen.

Hopefully for Jets fans Sanchez has an epiphany this week and plays more like Week 1 for the next couple of games than Weeks 2 & 3.

I would like for this to happen as well. But with the 9ers coming into the stadium with some anger... Bleh. I'd be surprised if the Jets win this game. I don't expect Sanchez to do anything super-human.

Its been 4 years. This is his 4th year, its make or break time. Either he progresses or we cut bait and draft a replacement with a high draft pick. The experiment has to end at some point. The D has carried us for the most part....now its time to get the O right.

Bottom line is this. GROUND and POUND is dead. It was dead the minute that the ACL tore. There is no chance they continue on with G&D...it has not been effective, the D is leaking RUN yards like a sieve and without Revis, the D is only going to get worse. Now is the time to unwrap Sanchez and let him fling the ball around...at best we let him lead us to the playoffs, at worst we discover that he is not the answer at QB and we get a high draft pick next year to choose ur new QB....either way the season now rests completely on his shoulders. As a Jets fan I will be rooting for him...

Fully agree with this post.....with one addition.....the WRs have to catch the damn ball if he starts to get it to them.

If those two things happen ....a lot more.....we have a sniff of the playoffs.

Do you have smash on ignore or something?

At this point I think most people can see that he's not very good. He just has a few very committed defenders. It also just gets beaten to death due to the importance of the quarterback position and the perception that sh*tty quarterback play killed the 2009-2010 championship window.

Hey Damaged I have no problem admitting when Sanchez plays bad and he certainly did at times this weekend but in the same respect no one who hates on the Kid will admit to all the other problems this offense has like the total lack of talent at the RB position and the fact our WR;s have a hard time breaking the press coverage. Buffalo played off our WR's and actully respected us and Sanchez ate them up alive just like any of the good QB's would have. Then he has 2 subpar games when the WR's also play pretty damn bad and its back to putting it all on Sanchez. I do have issue with that.

Lets just face the facts our RB's and WR's are the ones who need to step it up not Mark Sanchez.

I think the WR's can do it the RB's Im not so sure which will hurt us in play action. Teams are stopping our running game without even having to bring more in the box to do it. We have zero threat at RB so they can make Sanchez life miserable by taking passing lanes away and daring him to make stupid throws. I think he pushed it a bit this weekend and made a few bad throws. But I think for the most part hes inaccurate because hes trying to put the ball in a very small window rather than having WR's running wide open all over the field like other QB's benifit from. You can disagree with that assesment but its how I feel about our current offensive situation.

Im sick and tired of hearing the guys covering the game saying Sanchez has no where to go with the ball. That sh*t is getting old for the past 10 years now with this team its not just the Sanchez years. Our offense has lacked punch for too long and I think its time we started paying some attention to it and getting our QB some real talent to work with the same type talent other QB's benifit from while Sanchez tries to make sh*t happen with sh*t. Its just getting old.

The Jets should have tried to make a move for MJD who the hell gives a damn what you give up the guy is a game changer and would have opened up our offense in a big way and if you dont want to sign a guy like that and try to hit the jack pot with 4th rounders then this team is going to be miserable on offense for years to come.

I hope so.

I had this as a make or break year for Sanchez as it was. Jets have always leaned heavily on their defense, and basically asked their offense not to screw up. Now they need their offense to not only hold onto the football, but to hold onto it across the goal line. Often.

I like the extra pressure on the QB. He's performed well in the playoffs with pressure on him, maybe he games up better with added pressure in the regular season. Obviously, I hope so. This has the potential to be his time. He either grows into the job right now, or he wilts like the delicate flower his detractors say he ultimately is.

I'm rooting for him.

honestly my biggest problem with this is that if games get out of hands and we go all pass happy sanchez's stats will be inflated. Like the great alex smith said...... its easy to throw 4000 yards when your team is down by 50 all the time. If that happens we gonna be stuck with this pile of crap sanchez because of "improvement" not necessarily ability to win us a SB

Hey Damaged I have no problem admitting when Sanchez plays bad and he certainly did at times this weekend but in the same respect no one who hates on the Kid will admit to all the other problems this offense has like the total lack of talent at the RB position and the fact our WR;s have a hard time breaking the press coverage. Buffalo played off our WR's and actully respected us and Sanchez ate them up alive just like any of the good QB's would have. Then he has 2 subpar games when the WR's also play pretty damn bad and its back to putting it all on Sanchez. I do have issue with that.

Lets just face the facts our RB's and WR's are the ones who need to step it up not Mark Sanchez.

I think the WR's can do it the RB's Im not so sure which will hurt us in play action. Teams are stopping our running game without even having to bring more in the box to do it. We have zero threat at RB so they can make Sanchez life miserable by taking passing lanes away and daring him to make stupid throws. I think he pushed it a bit this weekend and made a few bad throws. But I think for the most part hes inaccurate because hes trying to put the ball in a very small window rather than having WR's running wide open all over the field like other QB's benifit from. You can disagree with that assesment but its how I feel about our current offensive situation.

Im sick and tired of hearing the guys covering the game saying Sanchez has no where to go with the ball. That sh*t is getting old for the past 10 years now with this team its not just the Sanchez years. Our offense has lacked punch for too long and I think its time we started paying some attention to it and getting our QB some real talent to work with the same type talent other QB's benifit from while Sanchez tries to make sh*t happen with sh*t. Its just getting old.

The Jets should have tried to make a move for MJD who the hell gives a damn what you give up the guy is a game changer and would have opened up our offense in a big way and if you dont want to sign a guy like that and try to hit the jack pot with 4th rounders then this team is going to be miserable on offense for years to come.

fin

Pouha?

But this one if fun too. Does anyone have a sack other than McIntyre? I dont think they do.

What the Giants have so far? 4 or 5. I bet its not like dramatically different. Not that it means anything.

McIntyre has 2 (which I knew) and Pouha has 1 (which I looked up). The obvious point is that is that if you can't get to the QB and your CB that you've been counting on the neutralize the opposing WR1 is out, sh*t's bound to get ugly.

And since you asked, the Giants have 6 as a team.

McIntyre has 2 (which I knew) and Pouha has 1 (which I looked up). The obvious point is that is that if you can't get to the QB and your CB that you've been counting on the neutralize the opposing WR1 is out, sh*t's bound to get ugly.

And since you asked, the Giants have 6 as a team.

Yep it certainly will. But Rex hinted in his press conference he might have to get even more aggressive with the blitz. Wonder who hes going to pull that off with ? Flat foot Maybin ? And Q. Coples ?

no one can. Wrs and Rbs have to step up but sanchez is suppouse to be the leader and the best player. That is how good teams are made nowadays

San Fran plays a lot of press coverage and they can get to the QB with 4 down lineman which means the WR's Better step it up this week and we better learn to run more screens or Sanchez is going to get killed

There are tons of other problems on this offense. The problem is, as it's always been, even when Sanchez has time, and has an open man, it's really still a 50/50 proposition at best that he makes a play. His situation could be much better. But, he's not even close to making the best of what he's got. Not even close.

It's like Ghostface says: Here's the instructions, put it together. It's simple ain't it? But quite clever.

Sanchez said after the game that he left a lot of completions on the field, completitions he can easily make.

So the response to him should be: "Yeah, stupid, make those easy completions."

Even with all the drops, Sanchez would be around 55% for the past 2 games, meaning that if the drops were completed he'd be at a decent 60%. The fact that he's been sub 50% combined the last 2 games is atrocious.

5k ? i think this entire franchise has had only 1 4k season and that was Namath in the freakin 60's

I hope so.

I had this as a make or break year for Sanchez as it was. Jets have always leaned heavily on their defense, and basically asked their offense not to screw up. Now they need their offense to not only hold onto the football, but to hold onto it across the goal line. Often.

I like the extra pressure on the QB. He's performed well in the playoffs with pressure on him, maybe he games up better with added pressure in the regular season. Obviously, I hope so. This has the potential to be his time. He either grows into the job right now, or he wilts like the delicate flower his detractors say he ultimately is.

I'm rooting for him.

Me too, Slats. I hated the draft pick when they got him. (I was rooting to get Cutler at the time and keep the pix) Ever since I was a kid I was a QB guy. I always wanted to play QB. I loved Todd and O'Brien before I could REALLY evaluate players. Since then, it has been a string of disappointments. Esiason never had a chance. Testeverde had one year; great arm, couldn't move. Pennington had one year;great accuracy, terribly weak arm. Foley had one game. lol The rest basically gave me a very sick feeling most of the time.

Sanchez has shown me some horrible football plays...but he's also shown me a LOT of 4th qtr. heroics on the road late in big games. So he's got the balls to do it. He's shown me some poorly thrown passes that miss the mark, but he's also thrown some gems in big spots. (There are many youtube montages to show that) His arm strentgh is not in question. He has fumbled too much, but he also has 12 rushing TDs, more than any of the top QB's by a lot, only 1 less than Vick. He can run and extend plays. He has had games completing 70% and games under 40%, but in the playoffs he is above 60%. He's had QB ratings all over the place, but in the playoffs it's 93, with a 139, 127, and 103.... 9 TDs to 3Ints

The guy took us as a rookie through two road playoff wins. Second year he started getting the rep for comebacks. But after that last second drive in Indy to beat Manning's Colts and advance, followed by throwing 3 TDs and no picks in FOXBORO to slap up Brady and advance, I have to admit that is when I was sold......and prepared to give him some slack, especially with what he's been dealt by the organization and the media and the fans.

Bottomline--- He isn't Aaron rodgers...but he's better than many. And luckily for us, he has gotten to prove that he has what it takes in those spots. We know Luck and Fitzpatrick and Dalton, Cassell, Rivers and Shaub and Gabbert are all light years ahead of Sanchez and we'd rather have any one of them...but can they win in Foxboro in Januray? If you were a Dolphin fan, would you have felt confident about Tannehill yesterday? No way. lol And that's what we've had around here for way too long. With Sanchez, I know there's a chance.

I'd rather have a QB that gets better as the pressure rises, not the other way around. And besides all of that smack.......the sad fact remains that he is our only hope!! Because it should be clear to everyone besides clergyman and young girls that the whole "Tebow will be the starter by October" stuff was nothing but slapstick.

I'm with you Slats. You just gotta embrace the season you're handed. We're 2-1.

San Fran plays a lot of press coverage and they can get to the QB with 4 down lineman which means the WR's Better step it up this week and we better learn to run more screens or Sanchez is going to get killed

idk man i hate how we look at sanchez as a liability. Would we say that about brady or someone you gotta play towards your strengths and if your good enough it works. Make or break season for sanchize tho

I'd rather have a QB that gets better as the pressure rises, not the other way around. And besides all of that smack.......the sad fact remains that he is our only hope!! Because it should be clear to everyone besides clergyman and young girls that the whole "Tebow will be the starter by October" stuff was nothing but slapstick.

I'm with you Slats. You just gotta embrace the season you're handed. We're 2-1.

This is why I don't get the Sanchez griping. I don't understand the point. Sanchez is the QB. There is no other hope. Not this year. If Sanchez sh*ts the bed, or just isn't any better then he's been for three years now, we can spend the winter discussing the different ways they can -and have to- improve at the QB spot. For now, I'd really rather rally around the guy.

This is why I don't get the Sanchez griping. I don't understand the point. Sanchez is the QB. There is no other hope. Not this year. If Sanchez sh*ts the bed, or just isn't any better then he's been for three years now, we can spend the winter discussing the different ways they can -and have to- improve at the QB spot. For now, I'd really rather rally around the guy.

I'd like to rally around Eric Smith. When he proves that he's worth a sh*t, I will.

I'd really rather have a quarterback that is good at football. Why put a moratorium on the subject until the offseason? It's not like any of us is going to be able to do anything about it then either.

Smash,

I value your commentary, especially the support of Sanchez and in many ways I agree the Jets have not exactly surrounded him with an offensive juggernaut (both in coaches and players) but the attitude he played with from the git go yesterday was so typical of the Mark Sanchez we've come to see since 09. The guy looked like he wanted to be anywhere but there. I'm not sure he realizes how his demeanor affects the team around him. If he can't fix that one aspect the rest won't matter. The comeback was nice, the reconnect with Holmes encouraging but we won't get away with performances like this from playoff caliber teams.

I'd really rather have a quarterback that is good at football. Why put a moratorium on the subject until the offseason? It's not like any of us is going to be able to do anything about it then either.

Everyone can do whatever the hell they want, I just don't get it. Is there pleasure to be had in busting on Sanchez multiple times a day, everyday? Does that make it more fun to be a Jet fan?

At least in the offseason, there are options to discuss. There really aren't any options to discuss now.

It's why the Eric Smith analogy falls flat. The Jets went out and got four safeties in the offseason to address the problem. They can reach down to the practice squad to find a better safety than ESmith if they need to. There isn't a better QB than Sanchez to be found anywhere on the roster, practice squad, or waiver wire. This is what Jet fans have.

I'm rooting for him because as a fan of the Jets, I know the best case scenario is that he gets his sh*t together in a hurry. Otherwise, it's back to the drawing board in 2013. That could very well be where the team winds up, but I'm in no hurry to get there just yet.

Archived