Revis 2013 and beyond...

Integrity28

I partially agree. If it comes down to paying Revis or an established veteran QB we know won't fall to pieces here, then I'd make the QB priority #1. Revis is elite, but his financial demands are going to leave whatever team is paying him a bit hamstrung.

I'm all about keeping him IF we can put money into QB and OL too.

Look at the make-up of this team. DL and secondary don't need immediate attention. LBers need upgrading across the board, but good LBers can be found outside the first round of the draft, in fact they should be. This team needs to invest in that OL and QB, everything else will fall in line behind it ... literally and figuratively.

I'm not sure I'd even be all that worried about the OL just yet. Brick and Mangold are obviously set and Howard has looked surprisingly good, so the only possible questions would be at guard with Slauson's contract up (although I imagine he'd cost much to keep around) and Moore getting up there in years (but he's looked fine this year). Even still, as it stands now, with a good QB this OL would be more than holding their own and if the only question is guard, that's yet another position that should not need to have a heavy investment made in order to address it. QB is far and away the main priority for this team, beyond that a few more dynamic offensive weapons would be nice (either at RB or WR) and certainly an overhaul of the LBs. Those are certainly secondary concerns by a mile though.

I'm not sure I'd even be all that worried about the OL just yet. Brick and Mangold are obviously set and Howard has looked surprisingly good, so the only possible questions would be at guard with Slauson's contract up (although I imagine he'd cost much to keep around) and Moore getting up there in years (but he's looked fine this year). Even still, as it stands now, with a good QB this OL would be more than holding their own and if the only question is guard, that's yet another position that should not need to have a heavy investment made in order to address it. QB is far and away the main priority for this team, beyond that a few more dynamic offensive weapons would be nice (either at RB or WR) and certainly an overhaul of the LBs. Those are certainly secondary concerns by a mile though.

I was going to say the same thing, but with fewer words.

If Tanny can keep his picks in his pants, and draft OL in the mid rounds for a couple years, they'll really be okay. They're good now. They certainly don't need money thrown there.

I partially agree. If it comes down to paying Revis or an established veteran QB we know won't fall to pieces here, then I'd make the QB priority #1. Revis is elite, but his financial demands are going to leave whatever team is paying him a bit hamstrung.

I'm all about keeping him IF we can put money into QB and OL too.

Look at the make-up of this team. DL and secondary don't need immediate attention. LBers need upgrading across the board, but good LBers can be found outside the first round of the draft, in fact they should be. This team needs to invest in that OL and QB, everything else will fall in line behind it ... literally and figuratively.

I am absolutely with you. A real QB is always number one.. but after that, I am all Revis.

Nah. Never said that would be the case, I agreed with someone else presenting it.

it's a constant in any Revis conversation. Why should we pay this CB big money when we need to pay a QB? People always ask that.

My response, Who is this magical QB they are gonna pay instead of Revis? that's all I want to know. Matt Flynn type players hit the open market.

yes ok sure if there is a QB they should pay him. and if Crusher gets propositioned by a super model he should say yes. I am glad we got this all out of the way, as to avoid tough decisions later.

it's a constant in any Revis conversation. Why should we pay this CB big money when we need to pay a QB? People always ask that.

My response, Who is this magical QB they are gonna pay instead of Revis? that's all I want to know. Matt Flynn type players hit the open market.

yes ok sure if there is a QB they should pay him. and if Crusher gets propositioned by a super model he should say yes. I am glad we got this all out of the way, as to avoid tough decisions later.

I am sure everyone knows a franchise qb isn't going to just pop up out of nowhere. But fans like to be hopeful. IF IF a QB somehow is available, go for him. Thats all people are saying.

Anyway, pay Revis.

i love this fictional scenario where a high quality veteran QB just happens to hit the open market. it's fun to imagine.

Drew Brees. Peyton Manning.

It happens. If it does, all I'm saying is I'd hope the Jets prioritize spending on that position over corner.

It happens. If it does, all I'm saying is I'd hope the Jets prioritize spending on that position over corner.

Not to mention Cutler and Schaub being acquired via the trade market in recent years. While perhaps not "elite", they're legit talents. Hell, you could even include the likes of Favre and Warner who had nice runs with their respective teams at the end of their careers.

Not to mention Cutler and Schaub being acquired via the trade market in recent years. While perhaps not "elite", they're legit talents. Hell, you could even include the likes of Favre and Warner who had nice runs with their respective teams at the end of their careers.

wait a minute......didnt we....?....nvm.

Indeed. And an argument could certainly be made that, in hindsight, just one more year of Favre instead of starting a rookie Sanchez could have made all of the difference in the world.

Exactly. Oh, btw BG thank you for joining me in this endeavor to add nothing to the board.

The Jets have never been opposed to negotiating during the season, so I expect midway through the 2013 season, after he's proven he's healthy, they'll make at LEAST preliminary attempts to hammer out a deal.

I doubt we let him go. CB may not be a position worth investing the kind of coin we've had to, but at the same time, there's only maybe 2 special talents at the CB position who can shut down their man (Patrick Peterson perhaps being the other one). Everyone else in the NFL gets burned far more than once in a blue moon.

We actually may have a new coach and GM by then....should be interesting. I get the feeling Rex has lost some of his mojo with Woody, same for Mr. T.

Not so fast!

http://mobile.newsda...9562&nopaging=1

Jets' intention is to keep Darrelle Revis long-term despite injury

Updated: Sep 27, 2012 09:35 PM

By BOB GLAUBER

FLORHAM PARK, N.J.

In the wake of the devastating news that All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis will be lost for the season because of a torn knee ligament, speculation is swirling that the injury could derail future contract negotiations and lead to Revis' departure from the Jets after the 2013 season.

Not so fast, say coach Rex Ryan and general manager Mike Tannenbaum .

The Jets' two leading decision-makers told Newsday Thursday that they have every intention of keeping Revis well beyond the final year of his current contract, which runs through 2013. As long as Revis recovers from surgery that is expected to take place within the next two or three weeks -- and there is every expectation within the organization that Revis will get back to full strength -- the Jets will make every attempt to sign him to a deal that goes well beyond next season.

"Do I assume that Darrelle Revis will retire a Jet? I do," Ryan said. "That's something that I believe. Obviously, both sides have got to come together, but from my perspective, I think the Jets want Darrelle here and I think Darrelle wants to be a Jet. That right there is probably the biggest thing in having a guy long-term here."

Former Ravens assistant coach Ryan recalled when All-Pro linebacker Ray Lewis made it known that he wanted to retire in that team's uniform. "I've seen it happen in Baltimore, where Ray wanted to be a Raven for life, and he is. That's my take on it," Ryan said.

Tannenbaum, who will handle contract negotiations that could be complicated by the injury situation, said the Jets will do everything in their power to keep Revis for the long haul.

"Right now, our focus is putting forth the necessary resources to help him make a full recovery," Tannenbaum said. "It's always been our hope that Darrelle would be a Jet for life."

But first things first. The Jets will want to make sure Revis makes a full recovery from his injury before initiating contract talks. The expectation heading into this season was that they'd wait until the off-season to work on a new deal. But Revis might not be back at full strength for as long as nine months, so there could be a delay in discussions.

Revis had indicated before training camp that he might not show up as a way to force a contract renegotiation, but the Jets declined to make any changes with two years left on the deal. "Discussions regarding his contract will take place at the appropriate time," Tannenbaum said Thursday.

Revis was unavailable for comment, and one of his agents, Jonathan Feinsod, did not return an email seeking comment. Feinsod and fellow agent Neal Schwartz negotiated a four-year, $46-million deal in 2010. Revis made $32.5 million in the first two years of the contract and is making $7.5 million this year. He is scheduled to make $3 million in base salary next season, plus a $3-million roster bonus.

In all likelihood, the Jets would have to rework the deal before next season to get a long-term deal done. But unless Revis suffers some unforeseen complications, they will do everything possible to keep him with the team for years to come.

Players routinely recover fully from ACL surgery, and Revis is only 27 years old, still in his physical prime. It's not a stretch to see him play at an elite level for another seven or eight years, which would absolutely justify a contract extension. Consider: Charles Woodson , the 2009 Defensive Player of the Year, still is a terrific player at age 35, having transitioned from cornerback to safety. He's signed through the 2014 season.

Remember, too, that the Bills rewarded defensive end Mario Williams with the richest free- agent contract for a defensive player this year (including $50 million in guaranteed money) although he had season-ending surgery to repair a torn pectoral muscle last year.

Assuming Revis gets through the surgery in good shape, the Jets will need to make sure their best player -- and possibly the best player in franchise history -- will be here for years to come.

Is there a risk in putting so much money into a player coming off a significant injury? Sure there is. But the risk is even bigger if you don't make the investment and Revis plays somewhere else at an elite level.

Ryan and Tannenbaum made it clear Thursday that they hope it won't come to that.

Hoy! Viva el Rivas por vida!

peyton manning right now stinks and is a 1 year fix at best. brees ok sure but he was coming off a major injury.

if joe flacco tears up his arm and reaches the open market, would that really be a better spend than Revis.

Thinking about this Revis situation further, him getting injured certainly gives more leverage to the jets, and it's possible they really could work out an affordable (not cheap) deal. If Revis was all pro again this year, never hurt seriously, he really could name his price on the market. Now, coming off a knee, getting a little older, this really changes the negotiations.

Silver lining? Revis is more likely to be Jet for Life after the injury than before, JMO.

Thinking about this Revis situation further, him getting injured certainly gives more leverage to the jets, and it's possible they really could work out an affordable (not cheap) deal. If Revis was all pro again this year, never hurt seriously, he really could name his price on the market. Now, coming off a knee, getting a little older, this really changes the negotiations.

Silver lining? Revis is more likely to be Jet for Life after the injury than before, JMO.

I don't think it really changes much. If the Jets don't lock up Revis long term before next season, he'll have a year to demonstrate that he's the same ol' Revis, and he'll be able to write his own ticket in free agency, anyway - as long as he's willing to play for that paltry $6M figure, which is really not a given.

But he'll have impending FA in his pocket when they come to the table. He's unlikely to sign for anything affordable. Jets might try to structure the contract in such a way that they can get out of it in a year or two in case Revis doesn't return to form, though, and Revis could be on board with that as long as he gets his proper annual compensation.

Indeed. And an argument could certainly be made that, in hindsight, just one more year of Favre instead of starting a rookie Sanchez could have made all of the difference in the world.

You are very right, we were 8-3 (beat the Titans and the Pats the class of the AFC that year in back to back weeks rather easily) with Favre. The problem was he got injuried and the rest is history. If we would have brought him back for one more year. who knows what could have been (while having Sanchez on the bench learning).

Interesting.

I think that Rex losing his favorite toy forces him to prematurely build a stout defense without Revis, and thus better positions the Jets in negotiations with him. If he prices himself too high, let him go - and take the compensatory picks and keep building the whole team, rather than focusing on the one-man team.

I can't say I blame Revis for the hold out, looking at how much money a guy of his value loses from one injury. Damn.

This is why I generally didn't hate him during that whole holdout.

Archived