Agreement reached with Refs per NFL Network

billo83

It's a good thing the NFL makes so much freakin' money, because their referees are in contention for the title of "most ridiculously overpaid people in the world".

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

» Retirement benefits will be provided for new hires, and for all officials beginning in 2017, through a defined contribution arrangement, which will have two elements: an annual league contribution made on behalf of each game official that will begin with an average of more than $18,000 per official and increase to more than $23,000 per official in 2019, and a partial match on any additional contribution that an official makes to his 401(k) account.

» Apart from their benefit package, the game officials' compensation will increase from an average of $149,000 per year in 2011 to $173,000 in 2013, rising to $205,000 by 2019.

If only everyone could be paid so much to be so ****ing awful at their job for 17 to 21 days a year. These clowns should never get a single bit of sympathy going their way again, and should be crucified even worse than the scabs were every time they make one of their absolutely awful calls.

Nah, I like it. Capitalism at its finest - making the most the market will pay you. They hung together and held out and got a really sweet deal because the owners finally had to panic.

I don't even care. I'm so tired of owners locking out all their employees in major sports.

It's a good thing the NFL makes so much freakin' money, because their referees are in contention for the title of "most ridiculously overpaid people in the world".

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

If only everyone could be paid so much to be so ****ing awful at their job for 17 to 21 days a year. These clowns should never get a single bit of sympathy going their way again, and should be crucified even worse than the scabs were every time they make one of their absolutely awful calls.

your forgetting the weather man

Nah, I like it. Capitalism at its finest - making the most the market will pay you. They hung together and held out and got a really sweet deal because the owners finally had to panic.

I don't even care. I'm so tired of owners locking out all their employees in major sports.

**** the owners .... most of them treat the employees who got them where they are like total sh*t I say bleed every freakin dime out of them.

Well the weatherman has mostly been replaced by the internet. Besides, as useless as he may be, he still works excessively more days than the NFL referee. Plus, a weatherman sucking at his job has no negative impact on the weather itself.

This is true. if the weather man had his way we would be dealing with non stop tornados and blizzards (I like blizzards)

It will be interesting to see how the coaches and players react to the real refs making a call against them.

I think there won't be any of the usual griping this week, but then it will get back to normal in a week or two.

Actually, it's not capitalism at it's finest, because if that were the case, we would have seen referees getting fired left and right for years now given how horrifically bad some of them are at their jobs. Instead, the refs flipped a sh*t over the fact that the NFL dared to want to have new officials in training to be ready to serve as replacements for when they had refs that deserved to be fired (which is something the NFL clearly felt was a concern). Not to mention that their demands for more money came on the heels of the worst-officiated season I can ever remember seeing in all of pro sports.

I have no problem with every other NFL and team employee (from the coaches to the janitors) getting paid as much as they possibly can to do their jobs, as long as they actually earn their pay. The referees come nowhere close to doing that, as they're an incompetent group of jackasses who routinely hurt, not help, the product of which they are excessively overpaid to simply be an inconsequential, unnoticed part.

It will be interesting to see how the coaches and players react to the real refs making a call against them.

I think there won't be any of the usual griping this week, but then it will get back to normal in a week or two.

It will probably depend on the team. Teams like the Packers and Patriots will be happy as pigs in sh*t, while the bottom of the barrel teams that happen to be playing those types of teams will quickly miss the days of having penalty calls being equally sh*tty across the board for all teams.

As opposed to the incompetent group of jackasses who lost a game for the Packers on Monday? Blind people knew that was an interception.

The NFL knows it too, which is why suddenly a deal was reached. These are supposedly the best referees there for the league that "cares about the fans" and "game integrity" and "player safety."

So pay them - at the very least, actually negotiate with them, which the NFL refused to do for quite some time - and shut up.

Archived