Gastineau, Walker Join Jets' Ring of Honor

Bleedin Green

Did anybody catch Eric Allen's interview with Gastineau?

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-and-videos/videos/Gastineau-Joins-the-Ring-of-Honor/d586944f-36d2-4f7e-8ed4-7827033b55fe

It's been years since I last heard Gastineau speak.

I was surprised to find that his speech is slurred and slow. I wonder: was it due to brain damage from all the punches he took during his boxing phase? Or maybe a bout of syphillis?

It was good to see he found religion and regrets being such a selfish dillweed for those years.

Gatineau made me nuts. I remember his teammates not wanting to get his back for a fight his ridiculous dances caused, but they felt like they had to.

He would have fit in perfect in today's NFL.

I don't think you could have had two more opposites than him and Klecko.

If u took Gastinues talent and Kleckos heart, you would have had an LT type player

Oh bullsh*t. Unblockable my balls. A handicapped mouse could have racked up sacks like that playing next to Klecko.

this revisionist history where Klecko was awesome and Gastineau lived on his coattails, isn't how it went down. they were both real good, at their peak Gastineau was more of a game-changer. Also don't forget about Salaam and Lyons. Both Klecko and Gastineau were helped by the other two. #73 did more dirty work and was more reliable, but #99 was the best defensive lineman they had. He burned bright and burned out. But he deserves this honor.

Some can make the case, that he wasn't the nicest of people. Some can argue that he let his team down when he retired/quit when he did. But you cannot argue the fact that he would destroy Olines and destroy QB's by the bucket full. And anyone who thinks not has really no clue.

There are plenty of guys who are or were a bit shaddy but get the respect. One guy that proves this point is LT.

This about sums it best for me. I really liked 99 the player, just an awesome sack artist and the best ever for the Jets IMO. About when he retired, IIRC that was the season of a bitter players strike and Mark was a strike breaker from the start. That caused the team to hate him more than they ever did and was basically the last straw I'm sure. I would speculate that was the real reason he quit and not so much the Neilsen thing. Also as a side note, as much as I loved Klecko - he really made himself look bad by becoming a strike breaker himself after berating players before him tha crossed the line. That strike really ripped the team apart from what I remember.

At any rate #99 belongs there, even if he will be the most hated one of them all.

This about sums it best for me. I really liked 99 the player, just an awesome sack artist and the best ever for the Jets IMO. About when he retired, IIRC that was the season of a bitter players strike and Mark was a strike breaker from the start. That caused the team to hate him more than they ever did and was basically the last straw I'm sure. I would speculate that was the real reason he quit and not so much the Neilsen thing. Also as a side note, as much as I loved Klecko - he really made himself look bad by becoming a strike breaker himself after berating players before him tha crossed the line. That strike really ripped the team apart from what I remember.

At any rate #99 belongs there, even if he will be the most hated one of them all.

Well stated. Marks problems are well known.

I am a huge fan of Klecko as well but anyone here who wants to hold him out as a choir boy is just full of sh!t.

His screw ups are also well documented.

No matter how you slice it they were part of one of the best d-lines ever.

Yes your right and I forgot the strike issue....thanks for bringing back the memories about that....I wish today we had a front 4 like that.

Archived