NBA Floppers: you bi*ches are about to lose some money.

BroadwayJoe12

Bout time. For all the integrity of the game nonsense they spewed about long baggy shorts etc. you think they would have taken this by the horns a while ago. JVG must be doing a little dance as he's been talking about this non-stop for years. Should be interesting to see how it affects the game and if you see guys like LBJ, Chris Paul, Griffin, Pierce etc. alter their defense.

The NBA is ready to penalize players who flop in an attempt to draw fouls. The league is close to finalizing a policy that will include fines but no in-game penalties, according to Howard Beck of The New York Times.

There has been speculation since June that the league will take action on floppers, with post-game review of incidents to be involved.

Flopping, or intentionally throwing one's self to the ground in an attempt to draw a foul, has long been used in basketball at all levels. The action seemed to take center stage during the 2012 NBA Playoffs, as many star athletes were sitting on the bench with foul trouble after receiving player-control fouls that were quite often the result of flopping.

The practice has long drawn the ire of fans, at least of the teams that are on the receiving end of the fouls. When 225-pound professional athletes can be thrown to the ground by a single shoulder bump, it starts to draw attention. Now that attention has forced the NBA to take action.http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/9/27/3420160/nba-flopping-policy-penalty

As long as this is dealt with after the game and off the court it will have an impact over time. Not as easy as it sounds.

After the game, when slowed down, it's extremely apparent what's a flop and what isn't. Will it be a judgement call? Definitely, but so are the majority of fouls in the NBA as it is. The flopping has been out of control lately and I'm glad they are at least making an attempt at it. Hopefully it can start to correct it.

I respect the effort but they just need to make this sh*t a flagrant. It got that bad this past postseason and clearly affected a bunch of games. If you make it so that it penalizes the team on the court and also puts the player at risk of losing time, it would solve the problem in a second.

Totally agree and that might very well be, hopefully, next. Players tend to usually respond well to when they are hit in the wallet so let's hope it curbs some of the acting. I'm tired of seeing guys half a foot dollar and 40+ lbs heavier than me, flopping around like my little cousins.

I respect the effort but they just need to make this sh*t a flagrant. It got that bad this past postseason and clearly affected a bunch of games. If you make it so that it penalizes the team on the court and also puts the player at risk of losing time, it would solve the problem in a second.

Turns out there's a rule in place that would make it a 30K fine after the 5th offense and a one game suspension after the 6th or something along those lines. I think come the end of the season/playoffs, you'll see a whole different style of defense when teams just simply can't lose their best player from being on the court. Here's hoping at least.

Clippers are in trouble!!!

The league already knows who the floppers are...so do the fans, so do the players. However, making Sports Center for being fined or possibly suspended for flopping is gonna bring the flopper a world of embarrassment.

So the NBA has released "video examples" of what "the NBA" defines as a flop...

http://dmmx2.nba.com/videourlredirect?&project=/bballops/bballops_Flopping_Video_10_3_12

Might as well have just said go watch film of Dwade, Parker, Ginobli, and Gallo. It'll be interesting to see if they call it across the board on superstars as well. It'll be interesting to see what stance ESPN takes when LBJ and Griffin are getting penalized; will they mock them or just appease the superstars and say it wasn't that bad.

Archived