WTF happened to all of the Maybin hype?

LionelRichie

all we heard about during training camp was how Maybin was now a complete football player and was dominating practice. I've barely even seen him on the field so far and I don't think he's even gotten a snif of the QB.

He was a force last year rushing the passer, where is he this season? Was he just running around Hunter/Ducasse at practice or has he regressed to what he was in Buf?

Hes not a good football player . Hes gained weight, lost a step (which was all he had going for him) and can't do a damn thing now. Most of his sacks last year he over ran the play and wound up getting coverage sacks. All you can say for that is he stuck with the play which is a good trait for a pass rusher . The only problem is it cant be the only trait. He will NEVER be a full time LB in this league, not even close. So right now I think hes a waste of a roster spot.

Don't think he's been in much on anything besides passing downs. He still doesn't play the run as well as guys like Thomas or Pace and with our first three opponents being so run-oriented, you are going to see more of the aforementioned guys. That's also why you saw limited amounts of Coples in the first couple weeks; he's just not that adept with technique and scheme to play the run as well as guys like Deviot, Pouha, Wilk etc. Once Coples and to an extent maybin, although he'll never be an every down backer, get better technique and understanding of scheme, they'll play more.

Problem also being he is a one trick pony and usually in on 3rd and long situations but since this season the JETS run defense has been absent we do not get the other team into too many 3rd and long situations.

IIRC he did get familiar with Ben's jersey in that game in Pittsburgh.

+1

He's also been hurt. I doubt he's "lost a step". He also didn't put on very much weight. He's not a complete LB and I never heard that much from anybody who knows anything.

I was one of the people that were really hyped about Maybins production this year.

It seems the Jets made the same mistake that the Bills did with Maybin. They tried to bulk him up to play a complete DE/LB. Guy just can't carry the weight.

He is a 228# situational pass rusher. That's not a terrible thing to be. It's a lot better then a non productive 255#