The De-evolution of Rex Ryan.

gangreenman

This needs to be discussed.

Rex came in as an over-confident, in your face coach that guaranteed wins, called out rivals, and promised a "VIOLENT" defense and a physical offense. He blitzed 6 or more players on 60% of snaps in his inaugural 2009 season, leading the team to be #1 overall in pass d, run d, and points against. He didn't blitz quite as much in 2010, but the D was still in your face, they'd stack the box, they'd move guys around, and they'd confuse the sh*t out of offenses. Especially in 2nd and 3rd and longs.

The last two years? We see 3 or 4 guys at the line, the linebackers lined up 5 yards back, the CB's playing press coverage, and the safeties playing over the top. We rush the guys at the line, and everyone else is in coverage, the QB has all day to sit in the pocket and find an open receiver. This strategy worked in the '10 playoffs to a degree because neither the Colts or Pats were prepared to play against a soft zone...They expected blitz blitz blitz and press coverage. It wasn't that that defense was more effective, it just caught teams by surprise because they weren't expecting it.

The D is still good, but I wouldn't say great...And certainly not "VIOLENT". On offense, the running game has gone to sh*t, Sanchez is forced into 3rd and longs, and has no chance to develop any sort of rhythm. This team is a mess.

I want to trust Rex and I do think he needs to remain the coach, mainly because I think he will eventually figure it out and I'm really tired of blowing everything up every 3 or 4 years and starting fresh. This team needs consistency. The players need to know the management trusts the coaches.

He hasn't changed at all, the team just isn't as talented. The offense is close to the worst, if not the worst in the league.

He's made a lot of poor decisions lately, but he's a good coach. Probably better served as a DC, but a guy I think we should hold on to.

There were signs.

He was passed over by the Falcons. Then the Ravens, who had employed him for a decade took a guy from another team with HC experience.

this IS the nfl.....he could do a 360 & turn this whole mess around and make a playoff run, i hope he doesnt guarantee it. i think he his a great defensive coach. he needs to get back to calling the plays over pettine. i think Rex was the guy that got the team going when the chips were down, someone to go to war for unlike our QB.

I want to trust Rex and I do think he needs to remain the coach, mainly because I think he will eventually figure it out and I'm really tired of blowing everything up every 3 or 4 years and starting fresh. This team needs consistency. The players need to know the management trusts the coaches.

Agree with this 100%. I kind of laugh when I keep reading the team needs to be blown up. Starting over, yet again, doesn't mean anything is going to change. I think the scouting department needs to be replaced and lets see if they acquire better talent going forward.

well what happened was he devolved into mike pettine. he is letting pettine call the defense because he is the DC, and he credits him for that so he can get noticed for a HC job

rex's fatal flaw is he is too loyal

it's kinda sad actually

Archived