***Official 2013 Draft Thread***

neckdemon

Finally, I was calling for one after Miami but I guess we where 2-1

defense = bad

offense = competing fo the worst in the nfl

so who do the jets pick with the top 5 pick they will probably have?

hopefully whoever it is mike tannenbaum isn't the one picking

• 2 months later...

This thread is premature. Lol.

We don't know how the Jets are going to finish, or who's going to be doing the drafting when the time comes. I think they'll finish in the 7-9 range, and I hope that's not good enough for Tannenbaum to keep his job. If he does, I think you'll see some desperation from him. Not only will he defer salary cap pain but he'll draft specifically for need, and that's the absolute worst way to draft.

I'm with Mick on this one:

Honestly the team is so bad you might as well start over. There's not one position outside of center I wouldnt take.

Take the BPA no matter what position.

And not just this year, but every year.

When you draft for need instead of taking the Best Available Player, you are by definition taking a lesser player. Years of doing this creates a weaker team, and each year new needs develop because you've ignored better prospects to fill specific perceived needs.

This is where the Jets are right now. It has to come to an end. It won't if Tannenbaum keeps his job.

The Jets need a strong front office, that dictates to the head coach rather than drafting to his desires.

This thread is premature. Lol.

We don't know how the Jets are going to finish, or who's going to be doing the drafting when the time comes. I think they'll finish in the 7-9 range, and I hope that's not good enough for Tannenbaum to keep his job. If he does, I think you'll see some desperation from him. Not only will he defer salary cap pain but he'll draft specifically for need, and that's the absolute worst way to draft.

I'm with Mick on this one:

And not just this year, but every year.

When you draft for need instead of taking the Best Available Player, you are by definition taking a lesser player. Years of doing this creates a weaker team, and each year new needs develop because you've ignored better prospects to fill specific perceived needs.

This is where the Jets are right now. It has to come to an end. It won't if Tannenbaum keeps his job.

The Jets need a strong front office, that dictates to the head coach rather than drafting to his desires.

i dont necessarily agree with this. I say draft for need once you have a franchise QB. A all pro corner is only going to do so much for us as we see. We need the face of the franchise (a good one) for foreseeable future. Once we have that we take best players and build around the franchise QB.

QBs in this draft are meh. I'm sure if Rex and Tanny are here, we'll draft defense.

Needs are thus: QB, TE, WR, OG, OT, OLB, S

That all depends on what happens with our free agents and who gets cut.

lord if we draft defense in the first round i'm gonna be pissed

So if a blue chip stud is available at pick 5, but he is a defender, and by far the BAP you would rather reach for an offensive player, and pass on the Defensive stud, and if they don't you would be pissed?

So if a blue chip stud is available at pick 5, but he is a defender, and by far the BAP you would rather reach for an offensive player, and pass on the Defensive stud, and if they don't you would be pissed?

yea i agree with lup. Our offense isnt doing anything without a better QB. Maybe if there is a megatron like WR we could take him but other then that id pass. Id like to see a linebacker if someone gets to us.

wonder what barkley is gonna have happen to him. He was like so friken good if we have 16 and he falls to us can we really pass? USC Qbs suck tho

Barkley's probably going to be available where were drafting. Are you excited now about what are fo could potentially do? Cause I'm not. Barkley sucks.

If you have developed a healthy hate for Sanchez, Barkley will give you insight into what true hate feels like.

i completely don't agree with the idea that our offense is sh*t so don't bother upgrading any of it unless we can get a qb first. and for lupz.....in that very very specific and totally unlikely scenario where there is a defensive player that is far and away the only player that should be considered because he is so freaking outstanding that no one else left on the board compares (strange how he would have fallen to us in this case, but for the sake of argument i'll play along) then we should trade back and pick up some more picks since we could use as many as we can get....and since this player is so ****ing great everyone will be dying to give us their picks to buy the chance to draft this guy.

So the QBs in the 2013 draft class isn´t the sh*t. And since we have a very expensive Sanchez for one more year (thanks Tanny), the smart thing might be to look in another direction. LB, OL, HB?

But if we a least cover the possible QBs, i think that Collin Klein and Geno Smith are two of the best ones thus far. And my question for you guys is what type of a QB should be the best fit in the Jets. A RG3 type (Klein) or the pocket passer Smith?

I haven´t seen enough of anyone of them as it is not an option for me to see any college games at all. So I am very much interested to get your feedback on the pros and cons for each player. Does Klein have the arm, accuracy, anitcipation etc? I know he can run.

I know for sure I don´t want Matt Barkley.

EDIT. Please take into consideration that Klein will cost us a lot less.

:face:

Awful as it sounds, Henne is a significant upgrade to Sanchez and his 2 turnovers and 1 missed TD pass per game.

I would be comfortable going into training camp next season with Henne or Alex Smith / Sanchez / Tyler Bray

Even though Sanchez has a guaranteed contract for '13 I think there is a chance that a shrewd GM could come to some type of buyout agreement and to let Sanchez go early in the off-season.

Awful as it sounds, Henne is a significant upgrade to Sanchez and his 2 turnovers and 1 missed TD pass per game.

I would be comfortable going into training camp next season with Henne or Alex Smith / Sanchez / Tyler Bray

Even though Sanchez has a guaranteed contract for '13 I think there is a chance that a shrewd GM could come to some type of buyout agreement and to let Sanchez go early in the off-season.

i think we are stuck with sanchez next year. whether or not he is starting is one thing, but he will be on th eteam most likely. his cap hit if he is cut/traded is too big. i think the best way for us to improve is to upgrade the o-line and get a big time running back. 2014 we can dump sanchez.

i think we are stuck with sanchez next year. whether or not he is starting is one thing, but he will be on th eteam most likely. his cap hit if he is cut/traded is too big. i think the best way for us to improve is to upgrade the o-line and get a big time running back. 2014 we can dump sanchez.

You aren't thinking creatively enough.

If I was the Jets new GM the first meeting I have is with Sanchez and his agent. I would tell Sanchez that he has 2 choices:

1 - get released immediately with a $1M buyout and a chance to start for another team (arizona maybe?)

2 - get his guaranteed salary for 2013 with a promise to run the scout team and be inactive on gameday all season with no chance to see the field.

If Mark has any pride at all he would jump at option #1. He already has plenty of Woody's money so I think the Jets can weasel out of Tanny's mess.

QBs in this draft are meh. I'm sure if Rex and Tanny are here, we'll draft defense.

Needs are thus: QB, TE, WR, OG, OT, OLB, S

That all depends on what happens with our free agents and who gets cut.

RB is a massive need. But after QB, OLB is probably need #2.

i completely don't agree with the idea that our offense is sh*t so don't bother upgrading any of it unless we can get a qb first. and for lupz.....in that very very specific and totally unlikely scenario where there is a defensive player that is far and away the only player that should be considered because he is so freaking outstanding that no one else left on the board compares (strange how he would have fallen to us in this case, but for the sake of argument i'll play along) then we should trade back and pick up some more picks since we could use as many as we can get....and since this player is so ****ing great everyone will be dying to give us their picks to buy the chance to draft this guy.

I like trading down, but that requires a trade partner. They're not always available.

All cases have to be judged on a case by case basis. If there's really a stud there -at any position- you gotta take him regardless. The BAP way is the best way to build a football team.

If I was the Jets new GM the first meeting I have is with Sanchez and his agent. I would tell Sanchez that he has 2 choices:

1 - get released immediately with a $1M buyout and a chance to start for another team (arizona maybe?)

2 - get his guaranteed salary for 2013 with a promise to run the scout team and be inactive on gameday all season with no chance to see the field.

If Mark has any pride at all he would jump at option #1. He already has plenty of Woody's money so I think the Jets can weasel out of Tanny's mess.

Mark has $8.25M guaranteed coming to him in 2013, he's not giving that up for $1M and what would certainly be an incentive based contract on a new team. He's just not. The reality is that he could see his stock go up after a year on the bench, particularly if the Jets offense continues to blow. And if it doesn't, he'll have another $8.25M to hold him over.

The only way for the Jets to get away from Sanchez would be for them to eat a significant amount of that guaranteed money in a trade. Then the impediment becomes Tanny's pride - if he's still here.

So the QBs in the 2013 draft class isn´t the sh*t. And since we have a very expensive Sanchez for one more year (thanks Tanny), the smart thing might be to look in another direction. LB, OL, HB?

But if we a least cover the possible QBs, i think that Collin Klein and Geno Smith are two of the best ones thus far. And my question for you guys is what type of a QB should be the best fit in the Jets. A RG3 type (Klein) or the pocket passer Smith?

I haven´t seen enough of anyone of them as it is not an option for me to see any college games at all. So I am very much interested to get your feedback on the pros and cons for each player. Does Klein have the arm, accuracy, anitcipation etc? I know he can run.

I know for sure I don´t want Matt Barkley.

EDIT. Please take into consideration that Klein will cost us a lot less.

Tim Tebow thinks Klein's throwing motion is messed up; there's probably about a dozen QBs coming out that you'd rather have over him. Unless we have the option to get Geno Smith, i think going OLB with our top pick is the best value. Quarterback and elite pass-risher are the two most important positions in the NFL right now and we have neither.

I definitely think the team needs to look at QB at some point in the draft; if they don't like the value in the first then look for guys like Mike Glennon (my favorite), Landry Jones, Tyler Brae or an EJ Manuel in the later rounds. I think they need to at least address it with one of the picks.

releasing sanchez will make him count an extra 4.3 million against the cap. not sure if the buyout would count against the cap also but if it did thats extra. our cap is already very very bad and extra 4.3 million against it will be crippling. as it is our gm is gonna have to find ways to create enough cap room for us to even be viable next year. sanchez is with us next year like it or not, imo

I like trading down, but that requires a trade partner. They're not always available.

All cases have to be judged on a case by case basis. If there's really a stud there -at any position- you gotta take him regardless. The BAP way is the best way to build a football team.

if there is a BAP that is head and shoulders above anyone else that will be left in the draft that there is no other player to consider besides him then the trading partners would be there.......they would likely be bidding against eachother for the right to draft this guy. this would actually be an awesome position for the jets to be in......i hope it happens but it wont

if there is a BAP that is head and shoulders above anyone else that will be left in the draft that there is no other player to consider besides him then the trading partners would be there.......they would likely be bidding against eachother for the right to draft this guy. this would actually be an awesome position for the jets to be in......i hope it happens but it wont

There's not a stud at any position on the football field that wouldn't be a major boost to this Jets team. Those rare players are worth the extra second rounder you might get back in a deal. The Jets lack depth, and extra picks would certainly be helpful, but they lack impact players, too. Impact players are more important than depth. As bad as the offense has been, a stud OLB would be an awesome pick for the Jets in the first round. But as deep as the Jets DL is, you can't pass on the next Ngata or Wilfork, either, just because offense is the bigger "need."

This isn't to say that if someone's offering you a Herschel Walker deal, you shouldn't take it. Of course you should. But I wouldn't trade out of the "stud range" of the draft without it being a blockbuster deal.

RB is a massive need. But after QB, OLB is probably need #2.

Mark has $8.25M guaranteed coming to him in 2013, he's not giving that up for $1M and what would certainly be an incentive based contract on a new team. He's just not. The reality is that he could see his stock go up after a year on the bench, particularly if the Jets offense continues to blow. And if it doesn't, he'll have another $8.25M to hold him over.

The only way for the Jets to get away from Sanchez would be for them to eat a significant amount of that guaranteed money in a trade. Then the impediment becomes Tanny's pride - if he's still here.

Lavarr Arrington walked away from guaranteed money and actually paid back some of his signing bonus to walk away from the Redskins.

Sanchez has plenty of Woody's money and sitting on the bench for full season will NOT help his standing and ability to secure a free agent contract. At best it would get him a "show me" year. There just aren't that many open starting QB jobs in the NFL, I think mark would be a good fit in Arizona and I think the Jets can figure out a way to get him there.

Archived