Understanding Tanny

JFtoLong

I am so pissed off about the state of this organization, that this morning I registered www.firemiketannenbaum.com...

Just read the bio of both him and Bradway on the Jets web site... If you took the names off of the two, you'd never pick Tannenbaum to run a football operation.

Never been a scout or coach... Has no background in talent evaluation.. Basically a glorified accountant... I could go on an on, but I'm going to save it for the site...

Hopefully will have functional over the next few hours.

rexey succeeded lewis and Nolan

Yes, both of whom were very successful as DC of the Ravens. So successful they both went on to get HC jobs.

What concerned me when we hired Rex, and now makes sense, is why the Ravens passed on Rex and hired Harbaugh.

And that was as a HC, as Ozzie is the leader of that franchise as GM.

So what do we do, we hire Rex as HC, AND leader of the franchise.

Look no further than the Wilson pick in the first round.

We already had all world Revis and a top defensive team.

That Wilson pick had Rex ALL OVER it.

That pick still makes me nuts to this day, not because Wilson is not very good, because we ignored the offense after just committing a lot for the Sanchez pick.

They should have taken a stud WR to grow with Sanchez. In hindsight, a RB would have been great too, but they were very high on Greene and had no reason at that point to not think he could be a very good RB.

Rex was, at least for his first 3 years here given way more personel responsibility than Tanny in terms of doing the shopping for the groceries.

Tanny was approving the checks and balnancing the check book.

I think this past draft they finally somewhat started to hold him in check with the round 2 WR Hill pick, but he still got his Coples pick.

I am so pissed off about the state of this organization, that this morning I registered www.firemiketannenbaum.com...

Just read the bio of both him and Bradway on the Jets web site... If you took the names off of the two, you'd never pick Tannenbaum to run a football operation.

Never been a scout or coach... Has no background in talent evaluation.. Basically a glorified accountant... I could go on an on, but I'm going to save it for the site...

Hopefully will have functional over the next few hours.

This is a classic example of how people read GM next to Tanny and assume he is running the franchise.

HE IS NOT, AND NEVER WAS!

Mangini was, they fired him because he was boring, they brought in Rex and then Rex was running the franchise.

I don't understand why this is so hard to figure out.

Why do you think Rex keeps harping on how talented his teams are???

BECAUSE HE PICKED THE TEAMS, NOT TANNY!!!

This is a classic example of how people read GM next to Tanny and assume he is running the franchise.

HE IS NOT, AND NEVER WAS!

Mangini was, they fired him because he was boring, they brought in Rex and then Rex was running the franchise.

I don't understand why this is so hard to figure out.

Why do you think Rex keeps harping on how talented his teams are???

BECAUSE HE PICKED THE TEAMS, NOT TANNY!!!

Think about this, if Tanny really picked this team, would'nt it be in Rex's best interest to downplay the talent, even question it?

If the team struggles, it's then Tanny's fault, if the team does well, he's a genius for making a lesser talented team perform well.

I don't get why this is so hard for everyone to figure out.

It started with Mangini and continued to Rex, the coach picks the groceries, not the GM!

But if the story is that the Jets lost a superstar CB and then the whole team went to sh*t, I don't see how that doesn't fall squarely on the shoulders of Tannenbaum and Rex. A team should be able to survive the loss of a CB, no matter how great.

The loss of Revis doesn't explain the extremely poor play on offense.

it's not just Revis's story it's gonna be the story around the league.

I don't want to play the "I played 1 summer of single A ball" card. BUt anyone who has been on a team (any team sport), and had that team lose their best player for the year, will attest that the loss is huge. It screws everything up. The psychological blow is immense. It doesn't matter if that best player is a first baseman, it will effect the pitching. Everyone tries to do more than they can to make up for the loss.

the loss of Revis to the Jets is like the loss of Eli to the Giants or Brady to the Pats. Yes, I know how it sounds and i stand by it. he's that important. IT doesn't explain the poor play on offense, unless we factor in everyone pressing harder to overcome the loss of the team's best player. Saying he's "just a CB" is selling him short, he's the best defender in the game. And he's the best Jets player since Willy.

we expect these guys to be like Madden players (or cyberball, memba that?) and just produce cause we want to win. they are not numbers they are people and the loss of their best teammate will sting. They will recover from it and win some games. but in the short term it's a train wreck.

the loss of Revis to the Jets is like the loss of Eli to the Giants or Brady to the Pats. Yes, I know how it sounds and i stand by it.

No it's not. And furthermore, the Pats lost Brady and went on to win 11 games.

Revis is a shining island of awesome that was covering up a terrible roster. That's your story. Not that an otherwise good team lost its best player and imploded. If the team was otherwise good, that wouldn't happen. Not to the extent we saw yesterday.

it's not just Revis's story it's gonna be the story around the league.

I don't want to play the "I played 1 summer of single A ball" card. BUt anyone who has been on a team (any team sport), and had that team lose their best player for the year, will attest that the loss is huge. It screws everything up. The psychological blow is immense. It doesn't matter if that best player is a first baseman, it will effect the pitching. Everyone tries to do more than they can to make up for the loss.

the loss of Revis to the Jets is like the loss of Eli to the Giants or Brady to the Pats. Yes, I know how it sounds and i stand by it. he's that important. IT doesn't explain the poor play on offense, unless we factor in everyone pressing harder to overcome the loss of the team's best player. Saying he's "just a CB" is selling him short, he's the best defender in the game. And he's the best Jets player since Willy.

we expect these guys to be like Madden players (or cyberball, memba that?) and just produce cause we want to win. they are not numbers they are people and the loss of their best teammate will sting. They will recover from it and win some games. but in the short term it's a train wreck.

Dude, stop. No logic.

• Upvote 1

EY gives a good succinct breakdown of Tanny's failures which I agree with, but his failures are more multifascited. It's philosophy and execution in constructing a team.

As noted, the two most important components of a championship team is QB and pass rush, something the Jets have either screwed up or ignored. Sanchez and Gholsten, if they did not bust, would have done the team wonders. Gholston was a bust out the gate and I believe that Sanchez was completely mismanaged so that any chance of him not busting was wasted.

People argue that Sanchez was put in a great situation as a rookie, but I disagree. That team was made for a veteran QB. What the team shouldve done was actively sought a vet QB and if they wanted to draft Sanchez, let him sit.

Putting a rookie QB with minimal college experience on a veteran team and then telling him "Don't screw up" is not a way to learn. Steve Young said that from day 1 of Sanchez being the starter. Then the musical chairs at WR and letting the OLine and running game deteriate.

The plan appeared to be to make a cushion for Sanchez in year one and then by year three have him be good enough to overcome other deficiencies, but that was a disaster.

A young franchise QB is the most precious possession a team can have and the Jets screwed it up. I disagree with those who say Sanchez wasn't that from the begining, but he was. He couldve been coached to be good and supported not by "probowlers at ever position" but at least by solid starters for the 3 years of his tenure.

I got killed for months for saying that.

Blah blah blah Peyton Manning said you don't learn anything holding a clipboard blah blah blah.

There is nothing to UNDERSTAND, while he's a cap genius he sucks at picking talent. We've gotten absolutely NOTHING out of our past 3 drafts.

I don't think he's such a cap genius. It isn't that hard, particularly if it's your full-time job. He got a lot of credit for being that from Parcells, but Parcells had no interest in crunching numbers so it probably seemed like some great mystery for him.

No way, but the D was not as good as the Ravens D either, and I don't care what stats say, I watch football.

The Ravens were a great defense before during and after Rex, that tells me the talent was there and he may have been as much a product of the talent as he was a good DC.

This Jets team should have enough talent to be better than it is, that is very concerning to me.

Don’t understand the first line of your post. The point I was making is that the Jets talent on D was nowhere near as good as the Ravens which contradicts Assmops claim that Rex was only a good coach because of superior talent. I’m not a stats guy either and have been watching football for over 40 years, so I’m not sure what you are trying to say there. The 09 and 10 D was top 5 IMO but 11 definitely was not even though statistically they were.

I got killed for months for saying that.

Blah blah blah Peyton Manning said you don't learn anything holding a clipboard blah blah blah.

clippys are for skippys

I remember this all to well. That was about a month after I started my thread...."The one guy I want nothing to do with...." and then posted the youtube video of Sanchez talking about "showing off his tan toned body, ya know, suns out guns out." while getting prepared for the NFL draft.

Ahhh the good old days...

it's really very simple

his boss tells him to bring in stars, and he does. to do that, he has to trade picks and spend cap dollars

so there is little depth or quaility in other areas

too bad you can't fire the owner

woody loves him some tanny

he sold brett ****ing farvuh on how good the hunting is in NJ to become a jet

lol

his boss tells him to bring in stars, and he does. to do that, he has to trade picks and spend cap dollars

so there is little depth or quaility in other areas

people overrate depth. If the starting QB earned his paycheck, we wouldn't be worried about depth.

(and yes the Sanchez pick is on Tanny)

Edited by bitonti

The jets have a problem- they have an owner who craves headlines and feels his team is second to the Giants in this area. Some of his decisions, like Tebow, are more for headlines and less for football. Once Woody realizes good football creates headlines...and respect, he will start from scratch- fire tanny and rex and bring in a real football professional who can evaluate talent and build a team. until then, the Jets will be a lost team.